Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Me.109 myths

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eric Robson01/08/2020 12:22:20
291 forum posts
52 photos

I have 2 Me 109's both 65" span a Cambrian kit model which is electric powered with an Electroboost 60 combo and 5 cell power, this fly's really well and ground handling is a doddle no nasties. the other is a C.M.L. kit with a Saito 125 f/s this fly's even better probably because it is sport scale and has slightly larger flying surfaces . Last evening after waiting all day for the wind to drop I took the glow powered model to the field . During the first and only flight I made a low pass and discovered one aileron was missing, as I had been flying it quite a way from me I had not seen anything come off. As it was flying ok I decided to use up some fuel and proceeded to fly as normal, after about 5 mins. I brought it in and made a perfect landing. during the flight I had turned the plane both ways and rolled it both ways it performed as though there was nothing wrong. Who says Me.109's are not good to fly? not me!dsc_0621[914].jpg

perttime01/08/2020 12:41:08
164 forum posts
11 photos

Good thing you didn't lose the other one too cool

As far as I know, full size Bf 109 has the same tricky thing as full size Spitfire: engine and prop with plentiful torque, combined with narrow track landing gear.

J D 801/08/2020 12:57:18
1525 forum posts
84 photos

Most type's still fly ok if one aileron is lost or even if the rudder comes away but loose the elevator and one is Doooomed.smile o

PatMc01/08/2020 13:46:42
4433 forum posts
538 photos

It looks like the rudder doesn't want to stick around either. smile o

Eric Robson01/08/2020 14:40:13
291 forum posts
52 photos
Posted by PatMc on 01/08/2020 13:46:42:

It looks like the rudder doesn't want to stick around either. smile o

It was loose but I think that may have been the wheels up landing as the tail wheel is attached to the rudder and I touched down on the tailwheel. These were all factory fitted and felt ok when I tugged them. but now they will be pegged before the next flight.

Jon - Laser Engines01/08/2020 15:17:14
5561 forum posts
271 photos

I dont wish to be all miserable but flying around when you know bits have fallen off your model is not a great idea. you never know what other damage might have been done so its best to get on the ground and leave the showboating for another day.

My Sea Fury threw its spinner off last weekend and i immediately reduced to minimum power before landing on the next lap of the field. As the spinner departed it took some nice chunks out of the prop and pushing high revs could have easily blown the prop to bits.

If something falls off, bring 'em down.

Peter Jenkins01/08/2020 15:31:50
1624 forum posts
305 photos

+1

Brian Cooper01/08/2020 15:39:37
566 forum posts
27 photos

+2

leccyflyer01/08/2020 16:52:58
1518 forum posts
327 photos

I've got one of those 65" span CML Bf109s and the wings did come with the ailerons in place. However the manual instructs that the hinges should be marked, removed, a hole drilled into the training edge at the centre of each hinge position before being fixed in place with CA.

I've been trying to source a spinner for the model as I've read horror stories of this model losing it's plastic spinner in flight with catastrophic results. Some folks have replaced the kit-supplied spinner with a higher quality item from Dave Platt, but he doesn't have any complete spinners at the moment.

Eric Robson01/08/2020 17:46:57
291 forum posts
52 photos
Posted by leccyflyer on 01/08/2020 16:52:58:

I've got one of those 65" span CML Bf109s and the wings did come with the ailerons in place. However the manual instructs that the hinges should be marked, removed, a hole drilled into the training edge at the centre of each hinge position before being fixed in place with CA.

I've been trying to source a spinner for the model as I've read horror stories of this model losing it's plastic spinner in flight with catastrophic results. Some folks have replaced the kit-supplied spinner with a higher quality item from Dave Platt, but he doesn't have any complete spinners at the moment.

Thanks for the reminder I do remember having to do that with the CA. on inspection this morning there was balsa still stuck on the hinges. I am not happy with the plastic spinner but finding a compatible one is not easy Sarik have ali. spinners but don't quote the diameter .

Jon, I do generally land at the first sign of trouble , I think there is a lot of vibration from the Saito engine and that was before the current plastic spinner was fitted, the prop was carefully balanced and I had a 3" quality spinner on originally. I did read somewhere that vibration was a problem with the Saito 125. probably that's why I got it cheap. Looking forward to some smooth running with my new Laser 100 I bought from you last week.

Eric r.

leccyflyer01/08/2020 18:30:54
1518 forum posts
327 photos

Eric - the Sarik aluminium spinner for the BT Bf109f is 115mm diameter according to the website, so a bit smaller than the 140mm size of the CML supplied spinner.

Eric Robson01/08/2020 20:08:12
291 forum posts
52 photos

Hi Leccyflyer, my spinner is 4" -102mm the model is based on the 109E,I believe CML made a 109F with the bigger spinner. The BT 109E is 69" span and that may be nearer to what I want but I am not certain of the diameter of the spinner . The current spinner is from a Mick Reeves Spitfire as supplied with the kit, he does an alloy spinner as an extra but I would prefer the proper 109 spinner with the dimple at the front to represent the cannon tube.

What power set up have you used in your 109?

Cheers Eric.

leccyflyer01/08/2020 20:24:23
1518 forum posts
327 photos

Hi Eric

I haven;t put the Bf109 together yet and am still trying to source a suitable spinner, which is 140mm diameter, as the model I have is the Bf109g, with that large almost hemispherical spinner -critical to the look of the model. I bought the kit second hand, unstarted and it has a pair of the spinners that are supplied with the kit, but am very reluctant to trust them, given the universally bad reviews and loss of several models die to them disintegrating in the air.

cheers

Brian

PatMc01/08/2020 20:32:14
4433 forum posts
538 photos
Posted by leccyflyer on 01/08/2020 20:24:23:

Hi Eric

I haven;t put the Bf109 together yet and am still trying to source a suitable spinner, which is 140mm diameter, as the model I have is the Bf109g, with that large almost hemispherical spinner -critical to the look of the model. I bought the kit second hand, unstarted and it has a pair of the spinners that are supplied with the kit, but am very reluctant to trust them, given the universally bad reviews and loss of several models die to them disintegrating in the air.

cheers

Brian

You could always slope soar it as a PSS model. thumbs up

Eric Robson01/08/2020 21:32:33
291 forum posts
52 photos

Hi Brian , you do have problems at that size, I am wary of plastic spinners after one disintegrated on a VQ Hurricane, luckily no damage was done and I landed safely. I think they are ok for small sizes up to 50mm but over that not good. I hope you find something for it as a member of our club has had at least 4 of their products and rates them highly, I am very satisfied with mine regarding flying performance. one thing I am not keen on is the small wheels and the undercarriage mounting needs beefing up if you are flying from a grass strip.

Cheers Eric.

leccyflyer01/08/2020 21:33:52
1518 forum posts
327 photos

I haven't had much luck with PSS lately Pat - had an unceremonious tromp through the heather only yesterday to recover my PMP Hawk The thought of lobbing a 7 or 8lb Gustav off a hill doesn't fill me with confidence.

leccyflyer01/08/2020 21:50:44
1518 forum posts
327 photos

I'm hoping to sort something out with Dave Platt, but he hasn't got any complete spinners, so I would have to also find a suitable aluminium spinner to source a backplate. Or find a model engineer with a lathe.

Eric Robson02/08/2020 10:34:39
291 forum posts
52 photos

Brian. I was looking through a thread on the forum some time back and some one was turning aluminium spinners. He made a former and spun the ali. on it then turned the back plate. I can't remember where (old age thing) but may be some one would remember . He could possibly turn the back plate if you had the spinner. It may be worth starting a thread to see if someone could help.

Denis Watkins02/08/2020 11:44:12
4544 forum posts
123 photos
Posted by Eric Robson on 02/08/2020 10:34:39:

Brian. I was looking through a thread on the forum some time back and some one was turning aluminium spinners. He made a former and spun the ali. on it then turned the back plate. I can't remember where (old age thing) but may be some one would remember . He could possibly turn the back plate if you had the spinner. It may be worth starting a thread to see if someone could help.

I was thinking the same thing Eric, someone did spin one up on this site

We are all in lockdown so some businesses are closed, but there is a lad in Hebden Bridge, who still spins from flat material discs.

Surprised me that he spun up brass clock surrounds for the Royal Navy

leccyflyer02/08/2020 12:33:49
1518 forum posts
327 photos

Thanks gents, I'll search the forum and see if I can find that. First I need to get back in touch with Dave Platt to see what he has now. The spinner will end up costing as much as the rest of the model, by the time Customs have had their pound of flesh.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!