Is this Power Supply Suitable?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve J03/08/2020 21:58:17
2057 forum posts
60 photos
Posted by Paul Marsh on 03/08/2020 20:34:42:

Thread is closed.

The OP has his answer. That doesn't mean that the thread should be closed. There are still matters being discussed. I, for one, am waiting for you to provide a reference for your 11:00 post as it raises important issues.

Doc Marten03/08/2020 22:49:29
729 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Steve J on 03/08/2020 21:58:17:
Posted by Paul Marsh on 03/08/2020 20:34:42:

Thread is closed.

The OP has his answer. That doesn't mean that the thread should be closed. There are still matters being discussed. I, for one, am waiting for you to provide a reference for your 11:00 post as it raises important issues.

Me too. yes

I've searched more tonight and can find zilch to confirm any of what was stated other than it was caused by a LiPo charger. The fire damage from that image is confined to the garage, there is no evidence of further spread to the main dwelling, the compartmentation between garage and dwelling having done it's job and no warning from the newspapers that reported it or the crews that attended regarding home insurance being invalid. 

Edited By Doc Marten on 03/08/2020 23:00:44

Mike T03/08/2020 23:48:37
553 forum posts
35 photos
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 03/08/2020 21:55:03:
Posted by Test Pilot on 03/08/2020 18:35:46:

... The OP, by his own admission doesn't, and encouraging him to do so is irresponsible and I'm frankly surprised some members of this excellent forum keep suggesting what for him could be a potentially dangerous solution.

TP

I agree 100%.

Read the OP again. If he just wanted a 'plug and play' PSU, I'm sure he would just have asked for recommendations for a commercial unit.

But despite professing limited knowledge, he was actually himself proposing to follow a 'DIY' route and to that end specifically asked: Would this PSU Be suitable? If not why not and what would you recommend instead?

Told it probably was not (rightly, IMV), he was directed by others and myself to a far safer and proven DIY solution!

Thread ongoing...

Martin Harris04/08/2020 00:47:44
9501 forum posts
256 photos

Wot Mike said...

A word of warning - the link posted could very well be to a cheap knock off. There should really be a warning to anyone contemplating buying one to check carefully and satisfy themselves that they have a genuine one - the manufacturer of the original one has a serial number check on their website as the internet is awash with fakes, some of which are very bad both from an electrical safety aspect and poor control of charging regimes.

In contrast, I'm unaware of the existence (although it in this day and age it wouldn't totally surprise me if there are some) of fake server PSUs - but there's certainly less chance of buying something that hasn't been designed and built to a very high standard.

Steve J04/08/2020 08:12:26
2057 forum posts
60 photos

Posted by Mike T on 03/08/2020 23:48:37:

But despite professing limited knowledge, he was actually himself proposing to follow a 'DIY' route and to that end specifically asked: Would this PSU Be suitable? If not why not and what would you recommend instead?

Told it probably was not (rightly, IMV), he was directed by others and myself to a far safer and proven DIY solution!

The 12V PSU in the OP appears to have exposed mains terminals and really needs putting in a box. With the server PSU's, the bits that are exposed are 12V and lower and it will have been manufactured to a higher standard.

Richard Clark 204/08/2020 08:29:40
426 forum posts
Posted by Mike T on 03/08/2020 23:48:37:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 03/08/2020 21:55:03:
Posted by Test Pilot on 03/08/2020 18:35:46:

... The OP, by his own admission doesn't, and encouraging him to do so is irresponsible and I'm frankly surprised some members of this excellent forum keep suggesting what for him could be a potentially dangerous solution.

TP

I agree 100%.

Read the OP again. If he just wanted a 'plug and play' PSU, I'm sure he would just have asked for recommendations for a commercial unit.

Thread ongoing...

His reasons for wanting a 'DIY' solution are unknown, at least to me. His initial thought was a power supply with exposed ~220 volt connections, but wiser counsel suggested a purpose built model plane supply or complete charger, which he purchased.

That some proposed their computer supply hobbyhorses is fine to continue, provided it doesn't have even the slightest potential to upset the paying advertisers of course

Doc Marten04/08/2020 10:50:52
729 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 04/08/2020 08:29:40:
......... but wiser counsel suggested a purpose built model plane supply or complete charger, which he purchased.

That some proposed their computer supply hobbyhorses is fine to continue, provided it doesn't have even the slightest potential to upset the paying advertisers of course

Do you actually go out of your way to come across as pompous or is it completely involuntary?

How would us unwise council with our dangerous, Heath Robinson, badly constructed hobbyhorses upset the paying advertisers of the site or is this another dog whistle attempt to alert a Mod to intervene and close the thread?

Bob Cotsford04/08/2020 12:01:15
8746 forum posts
489 photos

Where's my popcorn gone? I do love a good hobbyhorse to go with my fanboys!

Just to add - similar units to the OP are often sold as LED drivers, I tried one as a PS for charging and it lasted about a week despite being used well below it's rated output. My current converted server PS will happily pump out it's rated 34A all day long.

Ben B04/08/2020 12:01:59
1453 forum posts
4 photos

Ignoring the bickering it's worthwhile checking whether your current charger can handle 24v input. Some chargers will not reach their maximum wattage (for big batteries) on 12v. However not all chargers accept 24v...

Keith Miles 204/08/2020 12:08:23
468 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by Doc Marten on 04/08/2020 10:50:52:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 04/08/2020 08:29:40:
......... but wiser counsel suggested a purpose built model plane supply or complete charger, which he purchased.

Do you actually go out of your way to come across as pompous or is it completely involuntary?

How would us unwise council with our dangerous, Heath Robinson, badly constructed hobbyhorses upset the paying advertisers of the site or is this another dog whistle attempt to alert a Mod to intervene and close the thread?

Steady on there! did I not see a “smiley” in that post? I don’t know Richard, personally, but I hardly think that he deserved such a seemingly assumptive response in an open forum.

And I tend to agree with him and several others that the thread drift in this case might be fine for those with the necessary knowledge and experience to have their own debate but the OP clearly stated his lack of knowledge which some do seem to have failed to take sufficiently into account.

Indeed, some readers (including the OP, perhaps?) might view the thread drift itself as somewhat self indulgent and pompous!

I am a retired installation electrician and there is much that I don’t know, especially about electronics, but I have developed a very cautious approach whenever straying into unfamiliar territory and, as most of us know, inherent danger is not confined to mains electricity, something which is not universally appreciated or understood as numerous nasty incidents would seem to confirm.

I am also reminded of the phrases “a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing” and “familiarity breeds contempt”.

That said, it does seem that the OP has made the correct decision and has, hopefully, learnt something!

Mike T04/08/2020 13:09:48
553 forum posts
35 photos

In a thread entitled "Is this Power Supply Suitable?", why is discussing the specific power supply referenced in the OP and the (safer) alternatives to it, considered "thread drift"?

I'm glad now I didn't offer up my "hacking an ATX power supply to get 5, 12, 17 and 24 volts" solution... cheeky

Craig Carr04/08/2020 14:36:33
726 forum posts
518 photos

Hi Mike T ... sent you a PM last night ... was just after your advice on the further pin jumping required to quieten the fan on my HP server PSU.

Didnt want to post the question here directly to avoid “thread drift “crook

Doc Marten04/08/2020 19:16:57
729 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Craig Carr on 04/08/2020 14:36:33:

Hi Mike T ... sent you a PM last night ... was just after your advice on the further pin jumping required to quieten the fan on my HP server PSU.

Didnt want to post the question here directly to avoid “thread drift “crook

Time for another new thread, see 'Latest posts'. wink

Keith Miles 204/08/2020 20:01:03
468 forum posts
6 photos

I admit that “thread drift” is commonplace, understandable and often informative but sometimes it seems to take on the form of a hijack.

No offence intended.

I also know many people who avoid social media and forums (including this one) as they find certain behaviour and comments on such platforms somewhat unpleasant and very rarely apologetic.

Richard Clark 205/08/2020 00:04:33
426 forum posts
Posted by Keith Miles 2 on 04/08/2020 20:01:03:

I admit that “thread drift” is commonplace, understandable and often informative but sometimes it seems to take on the form of a hijack.

No offence intended.

I also know many people who avoid social media and forums (including this one) as they find certain behaviour and comments on such platforms somewhat unpleasant and very rarely apologetic.

Forum are fun. One of the 'server' power supply advocates has started a thread on them with an instruction that the thread must not drift, as they themselves caused this one to do .

Doc Marten05/08/2020 00:14:17
729 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 05/08/2020 00:04:33:

Forum are fun. One of the 'server' power supply advocates has started a thread on them with an instruction that the thread must not drift, as they themselves caused this one to do .

Just as I implied I would at 14:36.

Nope, not surprisingly you're wrong again, I asked to keep advice to "buy ready made" out of it as that's not why it was created, you have this one for that which actually  started by asking for advice on a DIY PSU! laugh

Easy to be precise isn't it. You're more than welcome to drift on there if you wish to though.

BTW, your posts are not secret you know, anyone, including me can read them.

Do keep up old bean.

Edited By Doc Marten on 05/08/2020 00:39:28

Test Pilot05/08/2020 00:14:31
13 forum posts

smile

Richard Clark 205/08/2020 01:42:21
426 forum posts
Posted by Doc Marten on 05/08/2020 00:14:17:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 05/08/2020 00:04:33:

Just as I implied I would at 14:36.

Nope, not surprisingly you're wrong again, I asked to keep advice to "buy ready made" out of it as that's not why it was created, you have this one for that which actually started by asking for advice on a DIY PSU! laugh

Easy to be precise isn't it. You're more than welcome to drift on there if you wish to though.

BTW, your posts are not secret you know, anyone, including me can read them.

Do keep up old bean.

Edited By Doc Marten on 05/08/2020 00:39:28

We soon changed his mind though didn't we? So not wrong at all ,

Doc Marten05/08/2020 10:50:29
729 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Paul Marsh on 03/08/2020 11:00:19:

Also, your house insurance might be invalid if you go the Heath Robinson route. Electrical goods have a IEE rating and if this catches or causes a fire, then your house insurance will find it easy not to pay out. The OP has realized that it is best to buy a charger, and can't think or a reason why anyone would even contemplate this!!! crook

Why?

firehouse.jpgThis happened nearby when a own build/modified battery charger caught fire, insurance never paid out, lost his home and imagine how much this would cost to rectify?£60,000, for the sake of £20?

Edited By Paul Marsh on 03/08/2020 11:07:07

Well as the reply to the requests for further evidence has either been deleted or never materialised I've been scratching at this since it appeared to try and confirm but it hasn't soothed the itch to find anything credible about it. Sorry, it's a bad habit I have.

You certainly get around Paul. You are attending Johns meet in Doncaster and will also be attending the Newark meet, I remember you saying that you shop personally at Steve Webb models and regularly attend the Leek swapmeet, these are all recent posts....that's some distance from where you claim you are in Essex where this fire happened?

......or am I completely wrong?

I hope it's the latter. The internet holds receipts.

Edited By Doc Marten on 05/08/2020 10:51:31

Richard Clark 205/08/2020 10:54:30
426 forum posts
Posted by Doc Marten on 05/08/2020 09:56:44:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 05/08/2020 01:42:21:

We soon changed his mind though didn't we? So not wrong at all ,

Quite so.

For reasons of convenience over ability or safety. Time will be the deciding factor of wrong or right if that's what is really important to you. sad

It isn't really a right or wrong as we aren't trying to 'win' anything.

Ability. If it meets his (& her) needs it's 'able'. A 'neat' single box appearance may be part of its 'ability'.

Safety. Most of them, server power supplies included, are made in China, which may or may not have quality implications. The EU-required CE mark is 'self-certified' by the manufacturer wherever the article come from. so it means damn all.

Me? I use a cheap and cheerful 20 Amp Ripmax 'Power Peak' power supply that I purchased 19 years ago as it was available at the local model shop, which is why I bought it. It still works fine. Sometimes I also use a 16 amp unregulated and unsmoothed car battery charger. Being unsmoothed it makes the (Thunder Power or Astro Flight) charger display flicker but it doesn't matter. I also charge on the field, sometimes with and sometimes without the car engine running.

We modellers fuss too much. Every time a new battery chemistry comes out we fuss again. The fuss dies down eventually.

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!