By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

How much have you spent on modeling in 2020?

Compared to previous years.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stephen Smith 1407/08/2020 10:38:01
234 forum posts

Modeling is relatively cheap compares with many things.

My son raced motor bikes for 10 years right up to golden era superbikes, need minimum of 7 rear tyres and 4 front tyres per weekend plus entries, fuel, travel accident damage and 4 people having 2 days of work, and if we did the practice on a Friday it was another 6 or 7 rears and 3 or 4 fronts plus all the other costs and another day off work,

Do this 12 plus times a year and its getting expensive.

Cuban807/08/2020 13:49:24
3031 forum posts
1 photos

Expensive is a relative term. Our hobby can be enjoyed for almost next to nothing other than a few pounds here and there, or others choose to spend thousands of pounds on new models and equipment on a very regular basis. Having a big modelling budget because one is fortunate enough to have a considerable disposable income doesn't necessarily mean a greater fulfillment from flying - often quite the reverse. A number of chaps I've known over the years who have gone headlong into flying with the best of everything at the start and have then burned out in a couple of seasons and subsequently gone on to something else.

Others fly the same old hack for ages with ancient gear and never look back.

Doc Marten07/08/2020 14:09:13
710 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 07/08/2020 13:49:24:

Expensive is a relative term. Our hobby can be enjoyed for almost next to nothing other than a few pounds here and there, or others choose to spend thousands of pounds on new models and equipment on a very regular basis. Having a big modelling budget because one is fortunate enough to have a considerable disposable income doesn't necessarily mean a greater fulfillment from flying - often quite the reverse. A number of chaps I've known over the years who have gone headlong into flying with the best of everything at the start and have then burned out in a couple of seasons and subsequently gone on to something else.

Others fly the same old hack for ages with ancient gear and never look back.

Nailed it.

I spend want I need and what I want, I don't ask what others spend nor do I expect to be asked.

Why would you?

Geoff S07/08/2020 14:42:45
3759 forum posts
36 photos
Posted by Eric Robson on 06/08/2020 19:42:42:

I have spent a lot of money this year on my hobby, even when my wife was alive I told her what I spent. I gave up smoking in 1976 to buy my first Futaba radio set. I was smoking 30 cigs. a day which now would cost over £100 pound per week. The big bonus is I am in my mid 80's and still enjoying good health, have a great hobby in the fresh air when I am not building or repairing .

Many years ago a friend gave up smoking and bought an expensive camera on HP evn though he could have paid cash. The weekly repayments were the equivalent of his tobacco expenditure and he ended up healthier with a decent camera. Coincidentally my wife and I picked up 6 discarded cigarette packets on our regular walk yesterday on the half mile of road we have to use and we wondered just how much money they'd cost.

Like most here I don't keep a record of what I spend on what might be described as toys nor do I keep anything from my wife. I'm pretty sure it's a lot less than last year. It was the same when I built our bicycles/trikes - I bought and fitted the parts I needed to make a decent, reliable machine.

My hairdresser cuts my hair for free and then spend the money we've saved on her own hair

Geoff

Mike Etheridge 107/08/2020 14:52:40
1562 forum posts
433 photos

Apart from my RCM&E subscription I paid just before the lock-down situation I have spent nothing on the hobby as my flying opportunities are too restricted. I have taped up my Wildthing that was coming apart, but cannot bear to look at my planes in the garage or loft as any time spent on them would appear to be wasted. The only other pass time I have currently is Table Tennis , but we cannot play at the moment, so gardening seems to be the only option.I did spot a Jersey Tiger Moth in my garden last week, the insect not the plane. Even that looks as if it needs a wing repair!p1010188.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 07/08/2020 14:54:51

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 07/08/2020 14:55:53

Doctor Chinnery07/08/2020 15:25:49
54 forum posts

Hard to say, and I'm reluctant to do the sums. BUT, the pleasure from the building, the flying, the maintaining/repairing/rebuilding, the companionship up at the field, and the craic - they are all beyond price. Furthermore, the pleasurable concentration that this pastime requires ( bit like fishing ) that keeps you 'in the moment' induces a mindfulness which is better for you than a shelf-full of tablets and/or expensive psycho-goo-goo! How many misery-guts are there up at any flying field? I rest my case.

Oh - and if you're embarrassed/guilty about how much you're spending on the hobby, you ARE spending too much. And that, as they say, will take the gilt off the gingerbread.

flyless07/08/2020 16:55:23
24 forum posts

Today want to local model shop for glue. I hour later come out with a new Jet..

kevin b07/08/2020 17:43:02
1890 forum posts
148 photos
Posted by flyless on 07/08/2020 16:55:23:

Today want to local model shop for glue. I hour later come out with a new Jet..

The shop wasn't owned by somebody called Wainwright, was it ?

wink 2

Trevor Crook07/08/2020 22:41:18
1003 forum posts
71 photos

Bought a Pheonix MP Chipmunk to build during peak lockdown, cost around £150 with motor, etc, servos etc. Having finished and flown that, bought an FMS BF109 because I fancied one, and flying had started again. That was about £280. I also spent about £30 on a couple of high C lipos for my TN Provost.

I recouped £160 by selling a couple of other models to make room, so net spend so far this year is about £300, and that will probably be it apart from a few odds and ends, and some wood for a winter project.

Paul Marsh07/08/2020 23:08:50
4088 forum posts
1231 photos

Bought 2 kits models, and made 4 plan built models.Normally there would be more from shows, etc, but of course that didn't happen.

Richard Clark 208/08/2020 02:06:59
426 forum posts
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 06/08/2020 13:47:26:
Posted by Brian Cooper on 06/08/2020 11:52:12:

Hey, it's a hobby. . . Who keeps exact records of the expense? surprise

Me, otherwise i risk spending beyond my means!

I have a credit card card (mostly used only for my online purchases) but I arranged for it to be paid off in full every month by bank direct debit. It's the only 'finance' I ever use. I run my 'financial affairs' such that there is both always enough in the bank to pay both this, monthly stuff such as council tax, and for the bank's magic money machine to pay out up its standard daily limit.

Toy planes this year? The only expenditure I've made in 2020 is a Warbirds Spitfire kit at £159, which I probably won't start until October when the river trout fishing season ends. I've got enough model; 'stock' such as glow fuel, glue for repairs, frequent day to day flying, build the Spitfire to 90% complete, etc already and it was all purchased in 2019 so I don't visualise any further expenditure. Far less than usual but I've got too many planes already.

Early next year? A Laser 70 for the Spitfire if you've got it in stock at the time I want it. If not OS or the landlord of the local pub will get the money .

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 08/08/2020 02:09:26

Vecchio Austriaco08/08/2020 06:12:11
1515 forum posts
728 photos

Some replacement parts and building materials, as for instance a motor and speed controller. And a second battery charger as my son took one of my chargers-well I gave it to him. And I found 2 speed controllers when I went through all my stuff, one 60 and one 80 A, both new... so there was no need for a purchase....

So all in all below 200 ( well there is the Chinese 450 flybarless heli on order, will be another 250...)

I would say reasonable if we consider the year is already 8 month old.

leccyflyer08/08/2020 06:23:57
1570 forum posts
332 photos

Compared to previous years the project to provide a new workshop and storage area means this year's modelling spending would probably be more than all of the previous years combined, but who's counting. Just entering the final stretch with the benches to go back in and the final electrical fix and power up. It was 80% plus finished when the lockdown came and halted the work, but hoping that next week will complete it.

cymaz08/08/2020 08:21:28
9333 forum posts
1211 photos

I’ve bought

• DLE30, Steve Webb Models
  • Another £200 on bits for the Giant Mannock
  • Club, BMFA,LMA fees

Although spent nothing on the cost of going to fly at shows. That’s about £800 - £900 year.

Cuban808/08/2020 09:23:09
3031 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by cymaz on 08/08/2020 08:21:28:

I’ve bought

• Club, BMFA,LMA fees

Although spent nothing on the cost of going to fly at shows. That’s about £800 - £900 year.

Almost a thousand pounds on your hobby! surprise

A lot of people will wince at that figure but when one thinks about how much we pay out for what I suppose you could call annoying necessities e.g insurances, council tax angry, car repairs etc etc that easily run into many thousands every year and TBH from what I get no gratification whatsoever - then a few hundred quid doing what you like is understandable and justifiable. If hobby expenditure means that your kids don't eat or your leaky roof doesn't get fixed then maybe it's time for a rethink.

My own expenditure on modelling this year is under a hundred quid.....a couple of gallons of fuel by courier, a couple of new Lipos, some spare servo gears and that's about it. Only had two flying sessions though! Funnily enough, I think the break has done me good and the opportunity to do a few other things that interest me is refreshing. I'm not going to worry too much about flying this year, I'll go when I get the chance and the time away has given me the opportunity to rethink a few things about how I enjoy the hobby and how I'll be continuing in the future.

leccyflyer08/08/2020 09:23:59
1570 forum posts
332 photos

In terms of models this year I've added half a dozen airframes and unstarted kits from swapmeets and online sales, plus one of those Warbirds Replicas Spitfire IX kits. When the P-51B kits are ready I have my name on one of those too.

Given the way that prices are going for those funfighter and slightly larger foamies and the short shelf life that so many of them have, I do try to pick them up when I see them -likewise for spare parts, which get rarer every day.

Paul Marsh08/08/2020 10:27:19
4088 forum posts
1231 photos

MainlyI bought quite a few new rx packs, some rx's, a few models on classifieds and few bits and bobs. One model i did buy had a DLE 30 engine in it, and was only £100, inc airframe and servos...

kevin b08/08/2020 12:04:06
1890 forum posts
148 photos

"A bargain is something that appears to have a value greater than the asking price.

A real bargain is something that appears to have a value greater than the asking price and you have a use for it."

Quote from a book I might just write entitled "Yorkshire economics". The problem is that the only people who would read it are the ones who don't need to, so they wouldn't buy it !

smiley

Mowerman08/08/2020 13:16:59
1559 forum posts
105 photos

Due to health issues (mine and wife's) only BMFA renewal.

cymaz08/08/2020 19:20:10
9333 forum posts
1211 photos
)Posted by Cuban8 on 08/08/2020 09:23:09:
Posted by cymaz on 08/08/2020 08:21:28:

I’ve bought

• Club, BMFA,LMA fees

Almost a thousand pounds on your hobby! surprise

A lot of people will wince at that figure but when one thinks about how much we pay out for what I suppose you could call annoying necessities e.g insurances, council tax angry, car repairs etc etc that easily run into many thousands every year and TBH from what I get no gratification whatsoever - then a few hundred quid doing what you like is understandable and justifiable. If hobby expenditure means that your kids don't eat or your leaky roof doesn't get fixed then maybe it's time for a rethink.

My own expenditure on modelling this year is under a hundred quid.....a couple of gallons of fuel by courier, a couple of new Lipos, some spare servo gears and that's about it. Only had two flying sessions though! Funnily enough, I think the break has done me good and the opportunity to do a few other things that interest me is refreshing. I'm not going to worry too much about flying this year, I'll go when I get the chance and the time away has given me the opportunity to rethink a few things about how I enjoy the hobby and how I'll be continuing in the future.

That’s the cost of Travelodge, fuel, food and maybe van hire. We try to do Woodsprings, Much Marcle and Wings and Wheels. Also a Greenacres weekend. Those events are a long way from deepest Cornwall 

Thats our holidays....we have no others. And spend no money on a foreign break.....if we do then there is only enough money for one show.

Edited By cymaz on 08/08/2020 19:20:40

Edited By cymaz on 08/08/2020 19:22:13

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!