Forum sponsored by CML

Covid 19 sports club grants.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ernie13/08/2020 09:16:21
2542 forum posts
24 photos

Hi All,

We have a very similar grant or 'bourse' here in france. The French government are of course worried about the effects of the virus on our very top sports. There are very many model flying clubs around here, usually with great wee sites, so it has quickly become a pretty big political issue.

The system for obtaining the grant is unusually simple, You need to turn up at the 'mairie' or town hall with a model plane. Plastic ones are not acceptable, because an imposter could easily just buy one in the local branch of lidl. There is the usual form filling, and a short interview with the mayor, who subjects the model to a close and rigorous examination so as to ensure that it really is hand made. When these formalities are complete (about an hour) a cheque for €1000 is issued.

My own club, LES CIGOGNES d' AQUITAINE only really has 3 members, and the other two are storks, that pop in to see me from time to time for some flying tips.

As I write, I'm really at a loss of how to spend the grant, perhaps someone has a wonderful french style idea

ernie

Doc Marten13/08/2020 10:05:16
710 forum posts
7 photos

The flip side Denis is that it's tax payer money.....our money, that honest people sweat and go without to pay so that the government can give handouts to the less honest, but also the unable, the unfortunate and for the general running of the country so when the opportunity presents itself for the tax payer to benefit from their 'generosity' then why feel bad about taking it? The government is borrowing money on an epic scale, but at very low interest rates to float and kick start the economy and encourage consumer confidence, affluent clubs survive and generate more spending in the wider economy, that eventually works it's way though the system to increase our standard of living and our wellbeing, they see it as investment for the future.

I won't condemn anybody for taking it nor would I encourage them to take it, that's for the club commitees', appointed by us, to decide.

Edited By Doc Marten on 13/08/2020 10:17:41

Gary Manuel13/08/2020 11:08:31
2294 forum posts
1558 photos

The way I see it is that most clubs will see a dramatic fall-off in the number of members due to the virus this year and perhaps in future years too. Our numbers certainly appear to be down this year. The grass still needs cutting. The rent still needs paying. A little help from the council won't go amiss. £10,000 does appear to be a large amount of money, but I assume that the £10,000 minimum grant is to save on bureaucracy of smaller claims.

The government have recently introduced model registration and other flying restrictions which have had a negative affect on membership and a cost to modellers. Electronic model tracking is a future likelihood. Maybe the grant will allow annual membership fees to be held lower than they would otherwise be and perhaps help keep clubs viable.

Leisure pastimes are important in these troubles times. The Government recognise this fact and are therefore trying to help to keep them going. I don't think anyone should feel guilty in claiming a council grant if it helps to keep a local leisure facility operating.

john stones 113/08/2020 12:14:46
11645 forum posts
1517 photos

I think it is ludicrous, been made set amount to make it easy to administer, I drive around and there's to let signs aplenty on former businesses, I understand what Denis is saying entirely.

But I'm past caring, money being thrown at allsorts of dubious people, squandered left right n center, the thing ain't over yet either £10,000 ? It's a pittance compared to the money spent on I.T for the drone reg scheme and many other things.

Problems for clubs are far from over, reduced membership = fees going up and bills harder to pay, you get chance to protect your club and your members, get in their is my opinion.

Morality ? The way things are going we'll all lose our sites, via the changing planning for building regs.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!