By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Community Amateur Sports Club (CASC) - does your club have this status - pros and cons?

Discussion re CASC status for model flying clubs

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Romeo Whisky13/08/2020 08:53:58
731 forum posts
205 photos

At a Committee meeting last year I suggested that our club might be eligible for registration with HMRC as a CASC (Community Amateur Sports Club) which might enable us to reclaim 20% Gift Aid from HMRC in respect of our club subscriptions and donations. My suggestion was not received with any great enthusiasm and it was felt it was doubtful we would qualify.

Does anyone on on the forum have any experience of their club applying for or being granted CASC? If so, how easy was it to achieve and what are the pros and cons, pitfalls etc.?

From an earlier post on a different thread I gather that Tim Flyer might be able to throw some light on this subject.

Cuban813/08/2020 09:51:53
3029 forum posts
1 photos

I'm aware of a club that also looked into this or similar other outside funding a while ago and the idea was put to members for their thoughts. Although on the face of it it looks to be a good idea, what was the show-stopper for my friend's club was the worry that the relatively small financial gain was not worth the 'trouble' (as it was considered to be by the majority of their members).

I'm not going into detail and I have no connection with the club per-se so never sat in on any meetings etc, but I understand that the 'inclusive social changes' that would be required by the club and its operation in order to qualify for consideration were unacceptable and it was never pursued.

Tim Flyer13/08/2020 09:52:10
1321 forum posts
239 photos

I don’t believe you are eligible to claim gift aid on membership fees.

Gift aid is designed for donations where a Tax paying donor gives money, but importantly does NOT obtain direct benefit themselves.

Our club is formed as a CASC and the greatest benefit we enjoy is the mandatory 80% discount in business rates. If we didn’t have that we could not continue.

A CASC is also not eligible for tax on up to 50k of revenue. Formatting as a CASC does require BMFA (or a Government recognised sport governing body) affiliation. It also needs a constitution stating that if dissolved monies and assets will be paid to charity rather than members ..and profits or income must not be distributed to members there is full and detailed information on the government website.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/community-amateur-sports-clubs-detailed-guidance-notes

Edited By Tim Flyer on 13/08/2020 09:54:17

Edited By Tim Flyer on 13/08/2020 09:58:04

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!