By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

The Dark Nights Fix-up 2020

Channel your inner Womble - Reduce, reuse, recycle…

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
MattyB15/09/2020 17:25:46
2195 forum posts
32 photos

It may be lovely weather this week, but we all know within a few weeks the grey skies, cold drizzle and long nights will have begun. Add in the situation with C-19 and we are all probably facing one of the least appealing 6 months of our lives before the sun shows itself in earnest again! It’s at this time we all tend to think about a new winter project (I have already fallen for that one…!), but watching BBC’s The Repair Shop has given me another idea that might cheer us up…

So many of us have models with minor (or sometimes major!) damage knocking around our workshops in u/s condition. You know the ones – the undercarriage came off on the last landing, the engine won’t run reliably, the ESC failed or a section of the wing argued with the car door on the way home! The jobs to be done are probably an evening or twos work, but are unexciting and might be quite tricky compared to getting on with a new build. As a result they get pushed into a corner, sometimes for months, often much longer. An example - I have an e-glider I was recommissioning for 2.4GHz and lipo power 5 years ago; it’s still sitting exactly as it was after the first evenings work! blush

So what am I proposing? Well, why don’t we create a bit of collective peer pressure and save the planet at the same time by getting these models fixed up? We could all have 4 or 5 “new” airframes each to fly by Spring 2021!

Here’s my proposed rules for the Dark Nights Fix-up 2020…

• The challenge runs from 1st October 2020 to 1st April 2021
  • All models must have flown previously (either for you or a previous owner) – no NIB kits or plan builds! Other than that anything goes; sport, scale, foamie, scratch built, kit, ARTF, glider, electric, IC, multirotor, free flight, control line, flying pig… teeth 2
  • Those participating declare the model(s) they are going to fix in this thread, complete with a photo in its current state.
  • At the end of October once most declarations are in I will count up and set the target of how many airframes we are shooting for.
  • Participants post highlights of their fixes in this thread, or if it’s a bigger project in a separate linked thread just for their model.
  • Once finished participants post a pic or video of the completed model RTF so we can tot up the final results on April 1st.
  • We all fly our “new” steeds at a socially distanced virtual fly in the w/e of 3rd/4th April 2021, taking and posting as many photos and videos as possible.

That’s it! I’m sure there will also be a mass build too, but I thought this might be a fun side-line for those of us who can’t or don't want to commit to that. Hopefully it will give us all motivation to get some old favourites back in the air. Who’s up for it?

Edited By MattyB on 15/09/2020 17:38:55

Gary Clark 115/09/2020 18:23:12
262 forum posts
140 photos

I think this is a great idea Matty. I've done this quite a few times and it's really satisfying. Even models that are still flying but need a bit of TLC and a recover are well worth the effort and it feels like a new model.

Gary

McG 696915/09/2020 18:39:32
3353 forum posts
1279 photos

I guess it's a great idea as well, Matty.

In my personal case, being a apprentice, I don't have any previously flown models, unfortunately... blush

On the other hand, I was given an - old/crashed Graupner - e-glider from the nineties. It seems to be a challenge with just the missing parts.

Does that count?

Cheers & keep safe

Chris

john stones 115/09/2020 18:46:26
11640 forum posts
1517 photos

Sounds like a plan and some entertainment Matty. I don't break stuff, but I could break my mates model and join in. wink

MattyB15/09/2020 18:57:05
2195 forum posts
32 photos
Posted by Gary Clark 1 on 15/09/2020 18:23:12:

I think this is a great idea Matty. I've done this quite a few times and it's really satisfying. Even models that are still flying but need a bit of TLC and a recover are well worth the effort and it feels like a new model.

Gary

Yep, a re-cover and spruce up is absolutely fine - just share what you’ve done and how do we can all hopefully learn some new techniques. yes

MattyB15/09/2020 18:59:02
2195 forum posts
32 photos
Posted by McG 6969 on 15/09/2020 18:39:32:

I guess it's a great idea as well, Matty.

In my personal case, being a apprentice, I don't have any previously flown models, unfortunately... blush

On the other hand, I was given an - old/crashed Graupner - e-glider from the nineties. It seems to be a challenge with just the missing parts.

Does that count?

Definitely- if it can’t be flown in it’s current state or is in need of a spruce up it’s the perfect candidate!

FlyinBrian15/09/2020 19:53:56
661 forum posts
4 photos

I always feel that a well repaired model is like having a FREE new model. I often leave wreckage in the corner of the workshop for ages while I cogitate how to repair it. Eventually it will get fixed (or dumped). I feel defeated if I have to scrap a model.

Dad_flyer15/09/2020 20:14:30
315 forum posts
315 photos

I shall be in. Three to mend, and one that needs a straight motor.

More if I make mistakes before 1st Oct blush

Dave Cunnington15/09/2020 20:34:44
185 forum posts
67 photos

.......but this is what I've been doing most days since March !

No flying = no crashes (in my case) and I've run out of kits to build and "second hand fixer uppers" that I bought as projects

Yesterday I put some lines a piece of paper and using stock balsa if it all works I shall soon have a new plane

ready for whenever - does this count me in ?

img_6574.jpg

Edited By Dave Cunnington on 15/09/2020 20:35:21

Graham Davies 315/09/2020 20:53:10
92 forum posts
44 photos

Brilliant idea Matty.

Since returning to the hobby after 20-odd years last Christmas, I've already fixed up 2 attic queens, but there are more to do!

• A 72" Cougar kit from the 80s. Bought from one of our dearly departed club mates in the mid-90s, and never got as far as finishing and flying it.
  • A much loved Alley Cat that has done more air miles than Judith Chalmers...
  • A 36" Pitts that used to fly like a brick. That's ripe for a refurb.

I'm in!

Graham

MattyB16/09/2020 08:48:21
2195 forum posts
32 photos
Posted by Dave Cunnington on 15/09/2020 20:34:44:

.......but this is what I've been doing most days since March !

No flying = no crashes (in my case) and I've run out of kits to build and "second hand fixer uppers" that I bought as projects

Yesterday I put some lines a piece of paper and using stock balsa if it all works I shall soon have a new plane

ready for whenever - does this count me in ?

img_6574.jpg

Edited By Dave Cunnington on 15/09/2020 20:35:21

If you really have run out of things to fix and as it’s a scratch build then I guess we can let you play...

MattyB16/09/2020 08:58:58
2195 forum posts
32 photos

Ok, so it seems like there are enough people interested for this to work so feel free to start declaring your fix-uptargets. Just give the name of the model and ideally a photo of it in it’s current state (tutorials on various ways of adding photos to your posts are available in the Forum User Guide), and I will keep a running total in the thread.

I’ll post mine up later today after I’ve had chance to photograph them...

Edited By MattyB on 16/09/2020 09:03:45

Doc Marten16/09/2020 09:21:14
693 forum posts
7 photos

Do 'engines that need repair' meet the criteria?

MattyB16/09/2020 17:03:15
2195 forum posts
32 photos
Posted by Doc Marten on 16/09/2020 09:21:14:

Do 'engines that need repair' meet the criteria?

I don't see why not, though if you are going to feature them in this thread I think they need to be pulling something through the air come April 1st! teeth 2

Malcolm Fisher16/09/2020 19:27:52
649 forum posts
7 photos

I have some models which need a tad of TLC. Not too sure about getting the necessary pictures and also not very sure of when I will be able to make a start - am currently involved in some much needed house maintenance which has to take precedence.crying

Malcolm

Shaun Walsh16/09/2020 19:41:44
382 forum posts
50 photos

I know some aeromodellers that are in need of repair, do we count too?

MattyB16/09/2020 19:56:10
2195 forum posts
32 photos
Posted by Malcolm Fisher on 16/09/2020 19:27:52:

I have some models which need a tad of TLC. Not too sure about getting the necessary pictures and also not very sure of when I will be able to make a start - am currently involved in some much needed house maintenance which has to take precedence.crying

Malcolm

Pictures are optional and you have 6 months from Oct 1st, so don’t worry about it! Just tell us about the model(s) and the work you are doing on it/them.

Ps - Let’s all not worry about the rules too much! This is not a competition and my suggestions above aren’t hard and fast rules - I just wanted to put a bit of tension into the equation so I actually get on with some repairs! It’s really about the fun of getting an old stranger airborne again and maybe learning some new skills along the way. thumbs up

Gary Clark 116/09/2020 19:56:55
262 forum posts
140 photos

There are often a lot of guys who are willing to do repair work for people free of charge other than materials.

I often help rebuild models for guys who have accidents at the field but are not builders. Significantly cheaper for a few sheets of balsa a some covering rather than an artf wing!

I'm in Norfolk if anyone needs help

Gary

Nick Cripps16/09/2020 20:52:01
57 forum posts
22 photos

Great idea, Matty, I'm in.

This is my Seamaster which bit the dust, er, water, a couple of years ago through over-enthusiasm on the elevator during a high speed, downwind turn and has been languishing in a corner of my garage ever since while I decide whether to scrap it, repair it or just build a new fuselage.

broken seamaster.jpg

Looking at it again, I think a new fuselage will be the best option. More work but I don't think a repair is feasible.

And, just to whet the appetite, here's what I'm aiming to get back to:

dsc_0589 (2).jpg

dsc_0608 (2).jpg

GrumpyGnome17/09/2020 07:51:11
551 forum posts
153 photos

My contribution .......

20200917_070441.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!