By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Best interference free 2.4 tx under ?350?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin McIntosh25/09/2020 18:52:16
3579 forum posts
1231 photos

I too still fly with DSX9, DSM2, of which I have three operating JR 921`s, various Spektrums and a lot of Orange Rx`s. The only time I got shot down was at a well known event when three of us went in at the same time, me on DSM2, another on Futaba and the third on FrSky so really none of these are immune. The cause was never established.

Most of my fellow club members use either Spektrum DSMX or Futaba, and I know of no problems with the latter. The Rx`s are, however, rather expensive compared with most of the opposition.

flight125/09/2020 19:03:52
747 forum posts
37 photos

to answer the op question is that most 2.4 systems currently are good and reliable most problems are due to the istallation/broken or placement of arials and the most common is battery(I had a battery go down last weekend and telemetry saved the day aborted take off as the tx screamed 3.7v rx voltagesurprise and now i get to fly again my lovley scale luton minor)

So if on budget(like me) your choice of make will be based on RX costs so choices are

one of the Frsky radio's which you can plug a module in back for your legacy RX's

FlySky Paladin PL18 (very under rated and under expposed)

Radiomaster T16s multipotocol fantastic ( not as refined as my Horus x12s) the future

and please note if you have a frsky om optx you can have a R9M 868MHz Module and compatable reduntancy rx and the 2.4 rx for extra security on two frequancy bands like jeti in a way)

Edited By flight1 on 25/09/2020 19:04:44

Ron Gray25/09/2020 19:31:39
2378 forum posts
965 photos

As I understand it with Jeti you must have the 2.4GHz as the primary, 868 can only be the redundancy (correct me if I'm wrong). Not really an issue but the TXs like the FrSky and Radiomaster ones with the 868 module can have that as the primary or only frequency.

So, keeping within the OPs budget, well for a tad over it you could have the really excellent (build quality and components) FrSky Horus X10 with the 868Mhz module and for a lot less money (£200!) the nice Radiomaster T16S with 868Mhz module - just as flight1 noted above. Unfortunately even the cheapest Jeti (without any of the upgrade options) comes out over the budget and the cost of RX........Nice bits if kit though.

Geoff S25/09/2020 20:13:29
3831 forum posts
49 photos

I think with most (all?) radio systems the cost of the transmitter is a relatively minor issue because you only but one. It's the cost of receivers if you have multitude models and choose to fit and leave a receiver in each one.

Geoff

Ron Gray25/09/2020 21:41:25
2378 forum posts
965 photos

Good point Geoff.

Chris Walby25/09/2020 22:30:57
1351 forum posts
338 photos

Irrespective of TX and RX manufacturer (as they are likely to be all tested to death in the development lab) is the problem to be far more likely an external influence?

Ok some might be better than others with a particular type of interference, but if the interference is very powerful then it will make little difference which manufacturer made the equipment? Are the manufacturers designing jamming equipment looking to be specific or just knock everything out of the sky, so if then is an external interference likely to effect all manufacturers sets if its powerful?

PS - That's of course based on the assumption that a completely different "spare" frequency is not used.

Doc Marten26/09/2020 11:08:05
885 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by Chris Walby on 25/09/2020 22:30:57:

PS - That's of course based on the assumption that a completely different "spare" frequency is not used.

35Meg is exclusive to RC flying and now clearer than it ever has been, why look at new frequencies when we already have one?

It's mainly because of OpenTx, Rx pack voltage and RSS telemetry that I use 2.4gig if I'm honest.

Edited By Doc Marten on 26/09/2020 11:17:01

MattyB26/09/2020 11:26:06
2322 forum posts
43 photos
Posted by Doc Marten on 26/09/2020 11:08:05:
Posted by Chris Walby on 25/09/2020 22:30:57:

35Meg is exclusive to RC flying and now clearer than it ever has been, why look at new frequencies when we already have one?

It's mainly because of OpenTx, Rx pack voltage and RSS telemetry that I use 2.4gig if I'm honest.

You just answered your own question! Who wants to give up those things to go back to a time where frequency control was manual and certain colleagues would hold the peg you wanted hostage! No thanks. I've had nearly 10 years of 2.4GHz usage now without any issues, the last place I would go is back to 35MHz at this point. Besides, from what I understand from the few people I know still devoted to FM, crystals are as rare as hens teeth these days...

Doc Marten26/09/2020 12:02:37
885 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by MattyB on 26/09/2020 11:26:06:

It's mainly because of OpenTx, Rx pack voltage and RSS telemetry that I use 2.4gig if I'm honest.

You just answered your own question! Who wants to give up those things to go back to a time where frequency control was manual and certain colleagues would hold the peg you wanted hostage! No thanks. I've had nearly 10 years of 2.4GHz usage now without any issues, the last place I would go is back to 35MHz at this point. Besides, from what I understand from the few people I know still devoted to FM, crystals are as rare as hens teeth these days...

OpenTx and telemetry are nice pluses for 2.4Gig users. Give them to me on 35Meg and I'll make a choice of one or other.

Was frequency hogging a major problem really? More like complaints from particular flyers wanting to use their chosen spot and not being able to, It was no big deal to swap crystals, I can equally say that I've had no more problems on 35Meg than 2.4Gig Matty but when you read through the various forums the problems posted by 2.4 users are almost infinite and a world away from what 35Meg was, the problems encountered between different protocols is a 60 page topic in itself. New crystals are hens teeth (although still available to order) but used crystals are always available on Ebay by the handful and dirt cheap.

I brought up 35Meg because the subject of changing frequency away from 2.4 appeared so there already is a solution to that with the bonus of it being dedicated. What you choose is up to you.

Edited By Doc Marten on 26/09/2020 12:26:29

Frank Skilbeck26/09/2020 12:12:35
4846 forum posts
107 photos
Besides, from what I understand from the few people I know still devoted to FM, crystals are as rare as hens teeth these days...

True but if you have synthesized transmitter and receivers then crystals aren't an issue. I'm still flying several IC models on 35 Mhz, where I don't really need telemetry, using a 15+ year old MPX Cockpit Sx and recently acquired a hardly used back up for a £35

Barrie Lever26/09/2020 12:18:00
368 forum posts
53 photos

Frank

Exactly right about synthesized channel change, I had that on the MPX Royal before I swapped over to 2.4Ghz, also had channel check and that saved me more than once where someone had left a Tx on in the pit area on my frequency.

B.

J D 826/09/2020 13:29:20
1626 forum posts
87 photos

I still use 35mhz for several less used aircraft. Most have Corona synthesized rx's and work well.

Martin_K26/09/2020 13:50:34
206 forum posts
Posted by Brian Cooper on 25/09/2020 12:27:53:
Posted by Martin_K on 25/09/2020 06:35:50:
Posted by Brian Cooper on 25/09/2020 01:57:54:

It was landed with no damage, and we reversed the ailerons back......

What exactly was changed? A logic setting configured in a software interface? Something controlled via physical switches?

Multiplex: Two channels changed their direction. Presumably something got into the computer settings and gave it a kick. As luck(?) would have it, it was the two aileron channels (one channel on each aileron) which changed. . On future flights, it might just as easily be any other channels...... who knows..!!? . . However, in the great lottery which has presented itself, it is kind-of good fun wondering how many channels will still be working in the correct sense when the model lands. smile o

I shall stick with my tried, proven and utterly reliable Spektrum DSMX equipment. yes

Edited By Brian Cooper on 25/09/2020 12:30:16

I just stumbled across a similarly baffling control issue with a Spektrum DX18. I infer due to an internal short circuit in the TX.

I assume Spektrum paid the service agent (Logic RC) to fix it.

MattyB26/09/2020 20:12:30
2322 forum posts
43 photos
Posted by Doc Marten on 26/09/2020 12:02:37:

OpenTx and telemetry are nice pluses for 2.4Gig users. Give them to me on 35Meg and I'll make a choice of one or other.

Was frequency hogging a major problem really? More like complaints from particular flyers wanting to use their chosen spot and not being able to, It was no big deal to swap crystals.

Yes, it was a major problem for me as I fly (well more flew tbh these days) a lot of slope. Flight times are often much longer and fuselages very tight making crystal swaps/setting the freq on a synth RX very difficult, especially on cold days.

Eventually I gave up and moved to 2.4 more on a “If you can’t beat em join em” - freq discipline on 35Mhz had been lost at two of my main sites, especially on days where there were two alternative slopes to choose from n the same locale. I can’t say I’ve ever regretted it, though there was a learning curve to be climbed around power supply for digital devices and antenna installation. I’ve never lost a model to RF issues on 2.4 though (on FM and 27Mhz AM I’ve been shot down at least 3 times).

Edited By MattyB on 26/09/2020 20:14:36

Peter Christy26/09/2020 21:59:12
1908 forum posts

Funny thing is that not only is 35MHz almost deserted these days, but so is 27MHz!

Thinks: Must dig out my Minimac receiver....!

devil

--

Pete

Barrie Lever26/09/2020 22:32:05
368 forum posts
53 photos

Peter

A Minimac is a bit extreme at least move with the times and use a Supermac !!

B.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!