Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Which wood for where

Balsa bashing newbie

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sebby25/09/2020 13:00:53
9 forum posts

Up till now I have either flown ARTF, or 2nd hand planes where any repairs have necessitated like for like replacement. Now I want to build from plan where I need to order the wood based on what the plan shows me. Taking advice from this forum I note that there are many views on where soft, medium or hard balsa or birch or other wood should be located, but nothing definitive, is there such a guide anywhere, and do I need to ask the balsa supplier for specific types of balsa or other wood by ordering from where the wood it to be used, e.g spar, longer on, wing skin etc?

Ron Gray25/09/2020 13:11:08
2378 forum posts
965 photos

Use the search facility for Balsa and you will find really good threads about this subject matter, such as:

Link

Link

Edited By Ron Gray on 25/09/2020 13:11:43

Edited By Ron Gray on 25/09/2020 13:12:38

Jonathan M25/09/2020 13:32:41
852 forum posts
321 photos

Good to hear another person graduating from ARTFs to proper building!

What are you building?

Doc Marten25/09/2020 13:42:51
885 forum posts
18 photos

Good to see another builder making the move from ready built but just to make you aware that the two main sources of balsa in the UK have issued notice of shortage of balsa stocks and huge increases in price:

Balsa Cabin

SLEC

Recent thread here:

Future balsa supplies

Sorry!

Edited By Doc Marten on 25/09/2020 13:45:25

Peter Miller25/09/2020 13:59:51
11503 forum posts
1369 photos
10 articles

If you look on this forum you will find an aryicle on estimation wood needed.It also refers to grade choices which should help you

**LINK**

Sebby25/09/2020 16:38:24
9 forum posts

Thanks for all replies which I will start and read with a fresh brew in the workshop. Build 1 is a flair junior 60, build 2 is a MeadowSkipper as shown on Plans given in radio modeller mag in the 1990s. Both will have 4 strokes

fly boy325/09/2020 22:56:20
3778 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Sebby, I second the comments above re model building. It's is a wonderful and satisfying part of this great hobby. Have a good read and perusal of the plan before you start. Some are easy to follow, some assume you are allready a competent builder and will not provide all the info. The good news is that this is the best forum available with members very willing to answer all building and related queries no matter how difficult or simple they may sound. We have all started at the same point as you. If the Internet was around when I started to build and fly, I could have doubled the twenty plus models I have built from plans lol. To fly a model you have built yourself will give you a thrill that I cannot put into words. Good luck.

Robin Colbourne25/09/2020 23:05:46
698 forum posts
17 photos

Sebby, Here's an article which explains a lot of the terminology in wood selection and an application chart.

White Horse Model Club - Balsa Selection Article

Good luck!

Robin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!