Forum sponsored by CML

Need to adapt this part

Any ideas?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Murphy 126/09/2020 12:14:00
477 forum posts
22 photos

I am building a modified RC monster truck in my spare time. I have to use parts made for other models which I can adapt or luckily fit!

The part this is about is a sway bar arm. All the accompanying parts will work a treat apart from the arm. Its too long. If the 3 holes had another hole inboard making 4 so I could remove the 3 holes it would be perfect , 25mm to 38mm too long.dscn1235.jpg

Now here is the problem,did not see this side of the part when I bought it.

dscn1237.jpg

The part is beyond my skill level to make , The hole to the right on the picture needs to be drilled upright because a rod passes through this and into another arm. This hole also has a thread hole for a grub screw to lock the rod.

Any ideas on how to fill the void? not sure it will be possible,as soon as the length is cut the wall will be lost at the end.

Robin Colbourne26/09/2020 12:18:50
698 forum posts
17 photos

Metal-loaded epoxy? Of file a piece of metal to the shape of the recess and epoxy it in (after thoroughly roughening and cleaning both parts.

Geoff S26/09/2020 12:28:11
3835 forum posts
49 photos

Could you fashion a completely new part from epoxy sheet and attach a metal collar at the end where you need to attach a grub screw either mechanically (small piano wire pins) or using epoxy (JB Weld) or, perhaps best, a combination of both?

Geoff

Doc Marten26/09/2020 12:36:21
886 forum posts
18 photos

Fill the holes with Aluminium brazing rods and re-drill?

J D 826/09/2020 13:03:46
1628 forum posts
87 photos

One for some JB weld.

Engine Doctor26/09/2020 14:05:32
2629 forum posts
40 photos

As per Doc Marten suggests ,fill void with low temp alloy brazing  then reshape and drill new hole. Plenty available on eBay for little money . Or start a- fresh with a strip of hard alloy. I guess that being on a car that weight won't be too much of an issue ? 

Edited By Engine Doctor on 26/09/2020 14:08:59

Gary Murphy 126/09/2020 15:17:10
477 forum posts
22 photos

Thanks for the ideas.

I can see the Epoxy sheet and metal collet being the easiest, wont look as good.

Would like to keep the metal. The low temp brazing rod method will prob look the best when reshaped. Is this just a case of welting into the voids with mini gas torch or soldering iron? Will the heat effect the ally,its very light and from china?

Martian26/09/2020 15:56:54
2617 forum posts
1243 photos

Plus for JB weld ,use the appropriate one thoroughly clean the recess with alcohol when hardened drill out the hole oversize to take a section of brass rude with the right internal size for the fixing bond tube in place clean and good to go . The reason I suggest brass tube is to give a bearing surface

Doc Marten26/09/2020 18:04:11
886 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 26/09/2020 15:17:10:

.......Is this just a case of welting into the voids with mini gas torch or soldering iron? Will the heat effect the ally,its very light and from china?

1/ You will need a gas torch as the rods need more than an iron can supply.

2/ The rods will melt at a lower point than the ally so will not affect it's chemistry but the torch will give more than enough heat to melt the arm if you play too much on it for too long so you need to time it right.

Definitely practice if you've not brazed before, you don't need flux or any extra tools but the surface needs to be scrupulously clean for it to be successful, I find that a wire brush of the joint followed by another heat cycle works for me. YouTube is your friend and having seen the quality of ED's brazing I suggest getting friendly with him also! smiley 

Have a crack at it, It's a useful skill to have for the hobby and beyond

Edited By Doc Marten on 26/09/2020 18:08:46

Gary Murphy 126/09/2020 19:12:53
477 forum posts
22 photos

After reading DM`s mention about lurking too long could melt the arm,which has got thin edging,wary.

Think I will have to go the way of epoxy to fill the void and use I brass bushing to take the steel rod.

This might sound silly but as anyone got any experience of the colours various "metal" epoxies dry?

Ben B26/09/2020 23:02:25
1461 forum posts
4 photos

Milliput or epoxy repair putty would do it. Easier to control than jb weld. Milliput do a nice white version that should do the job.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!