Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

iPad malware ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
MattyB28/09/2020 17:02:56
2320 forum posts
43 photos

Just make sure you reboot reasonably often - Windows apps tend to be pretty lax with resources, often hogging them after closure. Take a look t the task manager every now and again to see what is running (you may be surprised) and reboot at least every third day or so, or whenever you feel things are slowing down.

Keith Miles 228/09/2020 18:57:53
501 forum posts
6 photos

Fly Boy 3.

With reference to your recent post regarding switching on/ off and closing apps.

Yes, there is an on/off push button on mine, it is on the edge of the I-pad diagonally opposite the “Home” button on the face of the I-pad. This switch will switch off the I-pad but it will not close any apps left open.

I fitted mine, however, with a cover which switches the I-pad on and off when it is opened or closed, so I never use the button.

To close apps on mine, with the “Home” screen showing, I “double-click” the “Home” button on the front face. This changes the display to show opened apps. I can then place a finger on each opened app displayed and “swipe” each off the screen to close them.

If all apps are closed before you switch off, switching back on should then bring up the “Home” screen immediately and, hopefully, no warning about your phone being infected! If not the “intruder” probably is in the operating system (IOS).

So, to summarise...

Close all apps before switching off, then switch back on to see if the “infected phone” problem has gone. If so, the problem is in an app (probably Safari or another browser if you have one) and not IOS.

That said, provided you have your wanted files backed up and you’ve made a note of the apps that you have, I would do a “soft” reset first, and if necessary a “hard” reset before then trying an update of IOS.

There is much info on line about how to perform resets or any other task that you wish to perform.

Brother-in-law says it IS possible that your I-pad may be too old to fully update but agrees, as MattyB has said, that this may be no big deal if you only use your device for basic stuff.

If, of course, IOS is infected and you can’t cure it with a reset or update, then you may have to spend some cash!

As for Windows, all I know is that when I shut down my PC, without closing a program, unlike my I-pad, it always boots back into “Home” screen, although it may, if I remember correctly, give an alert if a program has been left running. Ignoring the alert, however, doesn’t prevent shut down or affect reboot. As MattyB suggests, it might cause a program to run in the background but it certainly doesn’t affect what comes up on the screen as an I-pad does.

Finally, you said your Internet speed was 2Mbs? Are you sure? By modern standards, that seems extremely slow to me!

In an earlier post, I mentioned a very noticeable recent slowing down of my I-pad and Android phone over Wi-Fi. I ran “Speedtest” and it reported 2.81Mbs Download/20.9 Upload. Rebooting the router fixed the issue.

If your figure is correct, it would certainly explain your reported slow downs!

I just ran another test on the I-pad, over Wi-Fi, and it just reported 128Mbs Download/15.7Mbs Upload.

Looking at past results, I’ve had it as high as 147Mbs Download with an average “low” performance above 70!

That 2.81 was VERY noticeable!

Edited By Keith Miles 2 on 28/09/2020 19:49:53

fly boy328/09/2020 20:37:20
3773 forum posts
22 photos

Thanks all for your help. I will have a good read and make some big decisions soon and I will report back. I think you miss read my internet speed Keith. It's 24 mbs. As I live S.Wales we are in lock down at the moment, so Ican find time to sort it, but. I would rather be flying. Take care

Keith Miles 228/09/2020 21:11:14
501 forum posts
6 photos

Fly Boy 3.

OOOPS! I should have gone to Specsavers.

Oh, and it seems that I was also wrong about 2Mb. Seems it is still fairly common and supposedly adequate for most purposes, most of the time, depending on how many are connected to a given hub, and how many are using it at a given time!

As I said, though, when mine went down to that level, Safari was taking so long to load a page, I could have gone and made a cup of tea and a sandwich!

Apparently the service providers sometimes switch things to meet demand, presumably hoping that the “losers” don’t notice!

Sorry that you’re in lockdown but, as you say, it might be an opportunity to sort a few things out, or maybe do some decorating? Aaaargh!

fly boy328/09/2020 22:17:33
3773 forum posts
22 photos

Thanks Keith, decorating !!! At my age my daughters have banned me from all step ladders, triple extension ladders, even stools lol As they are so busy I have to pay people to do jobs I have done for over sixty years maintaining my home. The only decorating I do now is covering my models which I love. Keep safe

Keith Miles 229/09/2020 00:38:17
501 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by fly boy3 on 28/09/2020 22:17:33:

Thanks Keith, decorating !!! At my age my daughters have banned me from all step ladders, triple extension ladders, even stools lol As they are so busy I have to pay people to do jobs I have done for over sixty years maintaining my home. The only decorating I do now is covering my models which I love. Keep safe

smiley

My house needs a lot of work. I keep putting it off, to my great shame! I, too, might be palming much it off!

Good luck with the I-pad.

It costs nothing to try a few things before replacing it and you could learn something in the process!

On which subject, my OS52 FS has suddenly lost all compression, valves look fine and no obvious leaks, so I've just been watching a YouTube video in case I have to take it apart! Not done a four stroke before.That said it looks easy enough and my brother-in-law is also a retired engineer with 50 years of model flying experience. Very handy! Hopefully it's nothing serious, or expensive, and I can get any needed parts!

I'll stop there in order to avoid any "off topic" complaints!

May your lock down be over soon and may your shops not run out of toilet roll!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!