By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Jet Pack Paramedic - Coming to a Hillside Near You!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
J D 830/09/2020 15:50:34
1626 forum posts
87 photos

In answer to Robin and Frank.

How any Coastguard and Air Ambulance helicopters are there in the UK? There must be situations in which they are all occupied or too far away, when something like this jet pack would do what's necessary. Its early days for it, so I'm prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Don't know about the rest of the UK but Wales has 3 air ambulance's and Two winch equipped Coastguard heli's.

The decision about what assets to send is usually with the emergency operator in touch by phone or radio with the first informant.

The issue with the jet pack I see is it still needs to travel by road to first get to the scene of the incident.

Coastguard are trialling UAV's along the lines of MattyB's post.

Edited By J D 8 on 30/09/2020 15:53:08

Frank Skilbeck30/09/2020 16:25:45
4846 forum posts
107 photos
Posted by alex nicol on 30/09/2020 15:49:49:

I saw this and thought it was quite interesting. Admittedly my first thought was what happens if it cuts out, which was promptly countered by he'll be ground skimming so no flying high which is fair enough. My big concern is the top speed of 85mph............ What happens if it goes dead stick at that speed

The idea is not to fly at 85mph, but to use the Jet Pack to get the first responder up the hill a lot quicker than they could walk from the bottom. Even if he only goes at 10 mph he can fly straight up instead of taking a less direct route at 2-3mph.

What happens if a helicopter goes dead stick when it's winching............................

PatMc30/09/2020 17:30:51
4482 forum posts
548 photos
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 30/09/2020 16:25:45:
Posted by alex nicol on 30/09/2020 15:49:49:

I saw this and thought it was quite interesting. Admittedly my first thought was what happens if it cuts out, which was promptly countered by he'll be ground skimming so no flying high which is fair enough. My big concern is the top speed of 85mph............ What happens if it goes dead stick at that speed

The idea is not to fly at 85mph, but to use the Jet Pack to get the first responder up the hill a lot quicker than they could walk from the bottom. Even if he only goes at 10 mph he can fly straight up instead of taking a less direct route at 2-3mph.

What happens if a helicopter goes dead stick when it's winching............................

The first choice helicopter covering the Lake District is based at Penrith therefore from take off to hill would probably be within 20 - 25 mins. Jet Pack would be transported within vehicle probably take about the same time from mountain rescue base to hill depending on traffic. At the hill base the operator would need to be readied, dunno how long that would take, then JP up the hill in a few seconds. IMO from the same start time the helicopter responder would likely get there quicker most times.

The helicopters used are twins so a sudden dead stick situation is highly unlikely.

Wouldn't a scrambles type motor bike be a more economic option & overall just as fast or even faster if it was also roadworthy ?

Edited By PatMc on 30/09/2020 17:32:14

Nigel R30/09/2020 17:38:52
4193 forum posts
703 photos
Posted by PatMc on 30/09/2020 17:30:51:

The first choice helicopter covering the Lake District is based at Penrith therefore from take off to hill would probably be within 20 - 25 mins. Jet Pack would be transported within vehicle probably take about the same time from mountain rescue base to hill depending on traffic. At the hill base the operator would need to be readied, dunno how long that would take, then JP up the hill in a few seconds. IMO from the same start time the helicopter responder would likely get there quicker most times.

The helicopters used are twins so a sudden dead stick situation is highly unlikely.

Wouldn't a scrambles type motor bike be a more economic option & overall just as fast or even faster if it was also roadworthy ?

Edited By PatMc on 30/09/2020 17:32:14

I guess all those time to casualty figures are part of what needs assessing. I'd assume the gravity suit would be able to be based fairly close to the common tourist locations.

Does the guy in the gravity suit need to go to the base of the hill or could they make do with 'next one over'?

Scrambler going up a path quite potentially crowded with grockles? Could make for a few interesting moments...

J D 830/09/2020 21:33:10
1626 forum posts
87 photos

Quad bikes sometime used by rescuers, belonging to the local farmer.

Ben B30/09/2020 22:50:55
1461 forum posts
4 photos

They're amazing devices but how many people in the world can fly one and how many people have tried? It's far from simple to fly one of those devices. It's a steep learning curve and not everyone has the core strength and co-ordination.

EvilC5701/10/2020 08:35:55
100 forum posts
36 photos
Posted by Ben B on 30/09/2020 22:50:55:

They're amazing devices but how many people in the world can fly one and how many people have tried? It's far from simple to fly one of those devices. It's a steep learning curve and not everyone has the core strength and co-ordination.

They (BBC Breakfast) interviewed the designer on TV, and he said most people pick it up within two days of training on a safety tether. He also said some have picked it up within 5 to 10 minutes.

I guess it’s a matter or coordination and balance, like learning to ski or ride a bike.

Kevin Wilson01/10/2020 10:32:44
403 forum posts
13 photos

Fantastic technology. Even better it is a UK company.

Great video from the drone flyer.

Rather ironic that there are more rules for me to fly my 3lb model or for the video drone than the 85mph man carying aircraft.

Nigel R01/10/2020 10:50:45
4193 forum posts
703 photos

I guess, as the whole outfit (presumably) weighs under 75kg then it falls under the no-license paramotor rules (or lack thereof)?

Rob01/10/2020 12:01:54
237 forum posts

I think the problem is a mater of equipment transport, when a first responder gets to a patient what do they do? I know its nice for a patient to see assistance come over the hill towards them but then what.....? The most qualified paramedic with no useful kit is a first-aider.

I'm not knocking the idea but practically its a bit of a novelty and if there was an accident whilst flying or landing you've them got multiple patients on the hill side.

Now jet powered quad bikes would be an idea.....!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!