By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

CAA Operator Identity

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve J20/10/2020 16:34:27
2110 forum posts
61 photos

Posted by MattyB on 20/10/2020 15:29:42:

I also felt (and still do) that it is easier to hold the official CAA "qualification" that gives you a Flyer ID than carry and have to explain to law enforcement all the exemptions that allow BMFA members to operate without a Flyer ID.

I wonder what percentage of the people who think that their BFMA cert exempts then from having a Flyer ID are actually carrying the right exemption?

Anyway that is fundamentally irrelevant to the update piece - any registered person should be able to update their details online if they change address, irrelevant of how they registered in the first place. It's bad design which over time will lead to poor quality data.

The way that the CAA registration system handles users is bizarre. Looks like a typical case of a weak specification and the lowest bidder.

MattyB20/10/2020 17:50:44
2393 forum posts
46 photos
Posted by Peter Christy on 20/10/2020 16:20:14:

By doing it through the BMFA, it is they who have to sort out issues with the CAA, and not you, the individual!

You cannot create a Flyer ID through the BMFA. To allow them to handle this for me I would have to take their version of the CAA test to acquire the BMFA competency certificate. I'd then have to carry that and the exemptions around with me at all times when flying, and potentially have to explain them on a cold hillside to a law enforcement officer, none of which I need to do if I use my existing Flyer ID. Even if I did take the BMFA's test we don't actually know that changes of address will be handled by the BMFA's periodic transfers to the CAA(if it is only incremental dbase updates for new joiners it won't be). Perhaps Andy S can clarify that point.

Anyway, fundamentally this is basic functionality - anybody who has registered should be able to go into CAA systems and update their info, irrelevant of the way that info was originally placed there. Constantly telling me to use the BMFA (which I have done, as far as I was able to do so given I don't have an A) doesn't change that fact and isn't helpful. The fact they have off the shelf functionality the could have reused from no end of other systems served via the Gov website is all the more baffling.

Edited By MattyB on 20/10/2020 18:15:41

Martin_K20/10/2020 19:09:02
208 forum posts

Posted by MattyB on 20/10/2020 17:50:44:

.... The fact they have off the shelf functionality the could have reused from no end of other systems served via the Gov website is all the more baffling.

A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from TV Licensing to my correct address (where I have lived about 30 years) but to a person I have never heard of. It was a No Licence Needed confirmation, thanking the other person for telling TV Licensing that no licence was needed at my address.

I Emailed TV licencing saying there is no such person at my address and questioning what data validation they do when a current licence already exists for a specific address in their database?

I have had a second letter from TV Licensing, to the other person, confirming that no licence is needed at my address.

Resistance is useless.

john stones 120/10/2020 19:41:42
11777 forum posts
1521 photos

I'm going call lol on that one Matty, we've spent the last 20 years (I know it seems longer) writing ream upon ream on this topic, but a quick chat with plod is onerous, to be stood on a Cold hill chatting to plod, you'd have to be out on a Cold hill already, wrap up warm folks. wink

Mike Etheridge 121/10/2020 09:41:09
1627 forum posts
460 photos

In conclusion from my point of view if I had lost a model plane or been responsible for drone crime over the last year the registration reference on my model/drone may well have not been identified by the CAA,.so this system has not worked for me and to date has cost me £18.00. I had no idea this was the case when I started this blog.

As has been pointed out anyone without an A certificate had to pass the CAA exam first before applying for registration, so application through the BMFA was not an option.

MattyB21/10/2020 09:53:41
2393 forum posts
46 photos
Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 21/10/2020 09:41:09:

In conclusion from my point of view if I had lost a model plane or been responsible for drone crime over the last year the registration reference on my model/drone may well have not been identified by the CAA,.so this system has not worked for me and to date has cost me £18.00. I had no idea this was the case when I started this blog.

As has been pointed out anyone without an A certificate had to pass the CAA exam first before applying for registration, so application through the BMFA was not an option.

PM sent Mike... smiley

MattyB21/10/2020 10:09:08
2393 forum posts
46 photos
Posted by john stones 1 on 20/10/2020 19:41:42:

I'm going call lol on that one Matty, we've spent the last 20 years (I know it seems longer) writing ream upon ream on this topic, but a quick chat with plod is onerous, to be stood on a Cold hill chatting to plod, you'd have to be out on a Cold hill already, wrap up warm folks. wink

Fair enough - we can each operate in the way we feel is easiest for us. However what is not debateable is that the system as is doesn't allow registered persons to update their information on demand, and it's unclear whether updating information via the BMFA portal will cascade to the CAA. Just because Gov systems have a habit of being poorly designed and implemented doesn't mean we shouldn't bother to point out when they do fall short!

Mike Etheridge 121/10/2020 15:53:21
1627 forum posts
460 photos

Having checked my new Operator reference for 2020/21 it is the same as the reference the CAA incorrectly suggested expired on 8th November 2020. A simple admin error?

MattyB21/10/2020 16:36:28
2393 forum posts
46 photos

No, Operator IDs renewed this side of Christmas will stay the same. After Christmas the next renewal you do will mean a change in format, be that in Jan or Dec.

Chris Berry23/10/2020 23:55:11
269 forum posts
1 photos

Looking at the government webiste. I can't see any reference to UAV or drones on the DfT webpages, or under the responsibilities of Baroness Vere.

Has another department taken on the responsibility or has another minister taken it on?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Subscribe now
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!