By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

JB Aviation DH71 Tiger Moth

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Parker09/11/2020 18:35:17
1033 forum posts
1446 photos

Yes, I can confirm it is SLEC, well the brackets and the chequered vinyl, I had some melamine shelving to hand. I have had it for years would not be without it.

Regards

Robert

Robert Parker14/11/2020 15:30:20
1033 forum posts
1446 photos

Hi All,

The fuselage is progressing well with the hatch, cowl, and head fairing made and sanded to shape and the fin to tailplane glued together just about sums up this last week and she is starting to look the part.

dsc08379d.jpg

Engine fitted and adjustments made to the lower hatch

dsc08380d.jpg

dsc08381d.jpg

Hatch upper sides dry fitted

dsc08382d.jpg

dsc08384d.jpg

Cowl and hatch planed and sanded to profile

dsc08385d.jpg

Head fairing made and sanded to shape

dsc08386d.jpg

Fin to tailplane gluing.

This is coming along well with no problems encountered so far thanks for the drawings, I do feel that I would have made a mistake if I had not had them.

Next, to glue the tail to the fuselage and hinge the rudder and elevators

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Martian14/11/2020 15:50:32
2657 forum posts
1270 photos

Cool looking build Robert and if you say bits are tricky well what hope is there for mere mortals 😎

Robert Parker14/11/2020 17:31:29
1033 forum posts
1446 photos

Thank you, Martain, though I would not have thought there are many unbuilt kits still out there which is a pity because it is a nice build and a well thought out kit everything fits together as it should.

Although the wings might be a bit tricky from reading the instructions, I'll have to wait and see and rate it is coming together it won't be long.

Regards

Robert

Robert Parker22/11/2020 17:36:28
1033 forum posts
1446 photos

Hi All,

I have made the wing jig and along with the first wing panel in the jig still a bit to do.

I had a slight misalignment with one of the jig corners not fitting right so I adjusted the joint. The jig is made in such a way that it is "virtually impossible to make it wrong" according to the instructions.

dsc08388a.jpg

The misaligned corner, at first I thought it may be for washout but when you flipped over the jig it would be wash in, not good.

dsc08389a.jpg

The jig is made from good quality 1/4 ply and is quite heavy

dsc08390a.jpg

All ready to start

dsc08391.jpg

The main ply web spar is fitted first with the ribs pushed into the slots which are a very snug fit, a bit too tight really

dsc08392.jpg

dsc08393.jpg

Just one casualty of the tight slots

dsc08394.jpg

Spars and aileron fitted along with the trailing edge. The all the spars are hardwood with the front spars being doubled up 1/4 x 1/8th except for the last bay

dsc08396.jpg

Getting the completed panel out of the jig was a little tricky due to the slots being tight which is good for assembly but no so good in trying to get the wing out without damage but it eased out a bit at a time.

I must say the jig is a good idea and works well especially as the wing tapers both top and bottom, I was a little apprehensive at first about using it but it seemed so quick to build no set squares, pins, or clamps.

I have flipped over the jig and fitted the ply spar web so I don't end up with two right wings!!!

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Martin Harris22/11/2020 22:19:27
9603 forum posts
258 photos

What caused the misalignment of the jig? Was one of the members the wrong way up? It looks that way in the photo but they can be deceptive...

I'm asking as my friend who supplied the plans built his first one with an unexplained twist (as mentioned earlier in this thread) and this might explain the mystery of the considerably warped jig built wing if he missed the misalignment possibility. I never saw the jig but this may explain what happened!

Robert Parker23/11/2020 18:18:08
1033 forum posts
1446 photos

Hi Martin,

I tried several times dry fitting and it was the only way it would go together. In the end, I gave some thought at first I thought wash-out but then on turning it over it was wash-in, so I crossed my fingers and cut the joint to fit.

The first panel has come out straight but the proof will be on the maiden.

Regards

Robert

Robert Parker29/11/2020 17:45:10
1033 forum posts
1446 photos

Hi All,

Not a lot to show this time,

The second wing panel is made and the ailerons cut out and hinge blocks fitted. As the photos as almost identical, I will not include for the sake of repetition

dsc08401a.jpg

Next is to join the wings, u/c mounting blocks, and false leading edges.

That's all for now.

Regards

Robert

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Subscribe now
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!