Forum sponsored by CML

Odd Job

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nigel R01/12/2020 21:11:14
4428 forum posts
717 photos

Thank you gents smiley

Stuart, you've spotted my styling inspiration!

DD, got to love the orange, it's grown on me. Maybe I should put some orange checks on the blue bit!?

john, I must get that maneuver on camera surprise

Quite pleased with how quick it has come together... must be because it has been built in my study instead of out in the workshop (which is still under construction - although nearing completion now). I've been able to put in a half hour here and a fifteen minutes there every day since starting it two months ago.

Stuart Quinn-Harvie 102/12/2020 09:41:13
126 forum posts
88 photos

You were dead helpful with my Chilli Breeze so it makes sense Are you going to submit the design to the mag? It's make a brilliant plan.

Tom Gaskin 102/12/2020 13:20:54
50 forum posts
5 photos

Looking good!

Do a search for 'super hots' for a 1980's doppelganger.

Tom

Edited By Tom Gaskin 1 on 02/12/2020 13:21:34

Nigel R05/12/2020 09:35:28
4428 forum posts
717 photos

No worries Stuart. Not sure how I'd submit?

Thanks Tom yes super hots has similar triangular decking lines for sure 👍

Last pic... finished bar pushrods, which are in the post... put some white flashes on to break up the orange:

20201204_144206.jpg

C of G has come out spot on at 5" back, which was nice. The battery needed to be stowed right at the back of the wing saddle. That 70 is a weighty lump! Final weight is 2.25kg / 5lb. A few oz over the expected. Only way to drop any weight that I can see is a smaller and lighter power plant.

DaveyP05/12/2020 10:14:04
292 forum posts
51 photos

Hi Nigel, that looks really good and fairly simple to build, I have a question though. I've never used foamboard, so where do you buy it and what specification is it ? also what glue do you use ?

Tia, Davey

Graham Davies 305/12/2020 10:49:50
190 forum posts
57 photos

Looks great Nigel.

Drop Peter Miller a line regarding the magazine submission; I am sure he will be able to advise. I think it would be a very worthy design and I'm up for it!

Graham

Nigel R08/12/2020 17:39:15
4428 forum posts
717 photos

Thanks Graham, DaveyP

The foamboard I used is the stuff available from Hobbycraft, four A1 sheets for a tenner.

I used medium cyano on any foamboard to balsa joins. The really thin stuff gets a bit too hot when it cures and the heat seems to melt the foam, but slower stuff seems to work ok. For wing sheeting you need PVA I guess, or a foam friendly contact adhesive like copydex (i.e. not evo stik).

I'll hold fire on any plan submission until she is flight proven!

---

A brief update:

The good:

I've run the motor up. Nice lumps, the old Surpasses. Fired straight up (after removing the flat glow stick and using my old power panel), good throttling, steady idle, all good.

However, the bad:

In the process I discover that the battery has a bad connection somewhere. sad I tried plugging it straight in to the RX and still found issues when waggling the wire, so either the plug, or the wire, or maybe even a connection inside the battery is flaky. Not something I want to chance. A new battery is in the post...

And the ugly:

I made pushrods using standard M2 rods & metal clevises (clevii???). The rudder and elevator pushrods are too long, and will easily bend. I will need to reinforce them. I guess the lesson is thicker rods are needed for that amount of unsupported pushrod. My (ugly) fix will be to bind some dowel or hard balsa strip to the metal and splash some fuelproofer on it.

Ah well. Best to discover these things on Terror Firmer.

Edited By Nigel R on 08/12/2020 17:40:09

kc08/12/2020 17:52:33
6955 forum posts
175 photos

Good luck with the test flights and lets hope you can get the design published. It's always been said that to get your design published you need to have a photo of the model in flight. I don't know why they cannot just take the pilots word for it! So make sure you get some photos done by someone with enough expertise with a camera whilst the model is still pristine without oil residue or hanger rash.

Edited By kc on 08/12/2020 17:53:59

Dwain Dibley.08/12/2020 22:30:39
1715 forum posts
1673 photos

Good luck with the maiden flight, I am sure it will be a success Nigel.

I am also sure that it would be a successful/popular design/kit too.

D.D.

Gary Manuel08/12/2020 22:51:20
2475 forum posts
1564 photos

First time I've visited this thread. I must say that for an odd job made from leftover scraps, that looks really good. I hope it lives up to the design brief.

Geoff S09/12/2020 01:01:44
4046 forum posts
68 photos
Posted by Nigel R on 08/12/2020 17:39:15:

And the ugly:

I made pushrods using standard M2 rods & metal clevises (clevii???). The rudder and elevator pushrods are too long, and will easily bend. I will need to reinforce them. I guess the lesson is thicker rods are needed for that amount of unsupported pushrod. My (ugly) fix will be to bind some dowel or hard balsa strip to the metal and splash some fuelproofer on it.

Ah well. Best to discover these things on Terror Firmer.

I use 3mm carbon tube, which has a 2mm hole. Then glue in 2mm threaded rod at each end with either epoxy, or, I think better, JB Weld Kwik. I use a standard s/s clevis at one end (at the control surface) and a ball joint at the servo end. That's so that it's very unlikely to unscrew as the plastic ball joint is very stiff on the threaded rod. They're surprisingly stiff even with no further support.

Note that if the rod should turn and both ends have fairly free threads the adjustment stays perfect right up to the point it falls off with obvious consequences.

Geoff

Nigel R09/12/2020 09:03:04
4428 forum posts
717 photos

Thanks for the kind words gents.

Geoff I've never tried the carbon rod, where do you source it?

Piers Bowlan09/12/2020 09:09:17
2351 forum posts
68 photos

Excellent job Nigel, looking forward to news of the maiden and subsequent plan. yes

Jonathan M09/12/2020 09:09:25
872 forum posts
335 photos

Nigel

Hyperflight are a good source for carbon rod, tubing etc: **LINK**

Odd Job looks really fabby!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Subscribe now
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!