Forum sponsored by CML

Skybug One

design by Lindsay Todd

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Lindsay Todd31/10/2020 19:08:34
1774 forum posts
1833 photos

Time to start building something a little different as a new design, this one has been on and off the drawing board for quite some time. I fancied doing something with a bit of a Sci-fi focus to it or even an underlying story line to it. what i came up with is a sort of utility vehicle / aeroplane; an all terrain aircraft. What ? i here you say - well bear with me and it will hopefully make sense and appeal to a few i hope. I almost think Gerry Anderson could have used this one and i guess in part that was my inspiration.

So here goes first line drawing visual of Skybug One

skybug one.jpg

Yes that is a folding wing and yes there are 6 wheels and yes the fuselage has the aerodynamics of a house brick and yes it has an anhedral wing although the tail may well become a more conventional dihedral V tail once i have done a bit more maths on stability factors. Warned you it was different. Hope to start gluing wood together in the next couple of weeks. Linds

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 31/10/2020 19:09:30

Dane Crosby31/10/2020 19:53:17
255 forum posts
23 photos

Aha. Very impressive. Look forward to see it built.

Reminds me of the Gigant.

Piers Bowlan01/11/2020 06:16:50
2345 forum posts
68 photos

Lindsay, but April 1st is not for another six months! teeth 2

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 01/11/2020 06:42:56

Lindsay Todd05/12/2020 20:17:55
1774 forum posts
1833 photos

I have done some more work on this design and the plans are now complete, revised the tail to a more conventional V tail and set of cnc parts now cut so construction will start very soon. However one part of the design is yet to be fully resolved and that is the steering. I don't want to loose the 6 wheel layout but this has raised issue on how will it steer during taxiing and take off and landing. i have come up with a flexible wire that applies friction to the inside edges of the front wheels offering a type of brake steering, does anyone have any experience of this or am i down to a bit of experimentation? Linds long shot i know but if you don't ask

Dwain Dibley.05/12/2020 20:25:07
1700 forum posts
1648 photos

I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem unless they are far apart, ie long wheelbase.

I made a four wheel dolly for a 109 and it steered without probs.

D.D.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!