Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Balsa Cores for Turbine Blades

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
kc23/11/2020 19:04:33
6916 forum posts
175 photos

My question was " has anyone seen reports from any other country stating lack of balsa supplies due to balsa being diverted to wind turbine production"

Former Member23/11/2020 19:15:13
1022 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Gary Murphy 123/11/2020 19:21:23
489 forum posts
22 photos
Posted by Trevor Crook on 21/11/2020 22:18:57:
Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 21/11/2020 10:42:13:

I think you guys are missing the point. Balsa is not used in the construction of the blades. The balsa is burned to power the Chinese factories that make them. Then me buy the wind turbines to save the planet,the same turbines that spend more time not spinning than spinning in the UK, well at least the ones near me.

Well some must be spinning somewhere in the UK. Just checked a live power generation website at 10.15pm on Saturday evening, and wind power is generating 9.29 GW, 34.5% of the grid demand.

Could you please keep me posted daily ,then I might change my mind. Perhaps the ones in east sussex only work at night.

Tony Richardson23/11/2020 19:42:21
662 forum posts
25 photos

Balsa is in short supply here in Canada too, I do not believe they are burning it in factories as they have ample coal supplies for that purpose, the story this side of the pond is the same as yours, wind turbine blades are constructed with a balsa core which is using a huge amount of the available balsa.

Hopefully suppliers will meet that demand and have some decent wood to supply those of us that like to build, maybe as its a fast growing tree an increase in plantation size or the number of plantations will achieve this, until then we sit and wait patiently..

dave windymiller23/11/2020 22:47:38
160 forum posts
163 photos

See secrets of the mega factories on more4 now! Shows your balsa supplies disappearing!

Edited By dave windymiller on 23/11/2020 22:48:13

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Subscribe now
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!