Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Low voltage - discharging

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Whittaker21/11/2020 16:12:19
82 forum posts
1 photos

I’m after testing my batteries for a couple of reasons - one, to test and establish the condition of two new (cheap) lipos I’ve just bought, and two, to see the state of my current ones. My charger has a Lipo discharge facility, at 10W. The cut off point is 3 to 3.3v per cell. Surely this is far too low? As I’m using 5000mAh six cell packs I’m looking at at 10 hours or more for the discharge anyhow (less than 0.1C).
I could sit and watch the voltage on the charger I suppose and stop at (say) 20% but I don’t really fancy watchkeeping on the thing for five days!
my other option is just charge the new packs, use them for a short gentle flight then use the amount replaced as a guide - this does seem much more sensible!!

Tom Gaskin 121/11/2020 16:23:08
50 forum posts
5 photos

Certainly charge and use is the more convenient option. 3 volts per cell is fine for the cutoff voltage.

Tom

Frank Skilbeck21/11/2020 17:15:07
4922 forum posts
114 photos

In some respects look at the capacity of a new Lipo isn't a great measure of how good they are, at a low discharge rate they could have a good capacity, but put them under load and the internal resistance can cause a significant voltage drop across the Lipo and heat build up.

Better to use a watt meter and test them under a real load, or onboard technology which measures current, mah and pack voltage, the Unisens E sensors are great if your radio supports them.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!