Forum sponsored by CML

WW2 Memories.

times have changed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ken anderson.24/11/2020 09:29:47
8865 forum posts
820 photos

how times have changed(more so since the beginning of 2020)my wife who does research about our family came across this ...my uncle and friends camping during WW2,when a spitfire that was smoking and back firing went over very low and crashed in a field not far from then...they ran across the fields to investigate and were summoned to court for destroying war crops...see the newspaper clipping...……….. i'm sure their are many more tales about life in them times..

dickie.jpg

ken anderson...ne..1 WW2 dept.

J D 824/11/2020 11:47:21
1771 forum posts
88 photos

There were an awful lot of rules for farmers and growers during the war years and for a good many years after. Farmers often had to grow crops and rear animals they had no experience with to obtain Ministry of Agriculture grants and be inline with the war regulations. They had plenty of inspectors to check on stuff.

The fellow who farmed next door to my Grandfather had to grow some potatoes, which he had never done. However three months later there were some very good looking potato plants in the field and the inspector as due the next morning to check off the paperwork.

He asked Grandad if he thought it would be ok. Grandad was not a potato grower but he soon saw there was something wrong in the field. No wonder the plants looked good , the chap had planted them ten foot apart so each had grown a heap of leaves and not much else.

Very early next morning they went to the field and cut off extra stems from the well grown plants and just stuck them in the bare bits between.

The inspection was passed a couple of hours later. Good job the inspector was on time as by later in the day the offcuts had wilted.

Engine Doctor24/11/2020 12:13:00
2725 forum posts
44 photos

Can anyone imagine what the response of the public would be today if they HAD to obey these sort of rules ? Even dog walkers think they have a god given right to walk through crops here in kent with no respect for the farmers lively hood. I wonder what would happen if a farmer herded some cattle onto their front lawn's .

Those fines in the OP were a lot of money back then and You had to pay them . Today most of the fines for Covid rule infringements go unpaid according to an online news article .

Impossible to enforce virtually any rules now given today's attitude to general respect and discipline .

Having said that "The good old days" were only good through rose tinted spectacles

Cuban824/11/2020 12:37:40
3171 forum posts
1 photos

The good old days?? My nan was born into East London Victorian poverty in 1897 and I clearly recall as a kid when I used to spend hours listening to her stories that she would always say "the good old days for some, but we were half starved and lousy".

An amazing woman, now I think back as I get older myself. Dickensian deprivation, squalor, hard work, two world wars, and her final years crippled with arthritis because of back breaking work for a few pennies from menial jobs working for the better off.. Not much of a life really. A mighty atom in her younger days despite everything...........five foot nothing but pulled a drayman off his cart and whipped him for beating his horse...........spent the night in the cells for that onelaugh

Edited By Cuban8 on 24/11/2020 12:42:48

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Subscribe now
Jetworks
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!