By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

My Lidl Glider RC conversion no 6. The Lidl Biplane!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bonzo Moon24/11/2020 10:52:19
108 forum posts
2 photos

My no.6 Lidl glider RC conversion, this time a biplane! Complete build blog. And the maiden, which didn't go well. I discovered I hadn't got prop thrust angle right! Quite pleased with it and I'm hoping now I've added down thrust it'll fly well on my next test flight

MattyB24/11/2020 10:59:53
2418 forum posts
47 photos

Nice work, but why are the interplane struts so tall? Seems like they could have been 50% shorter and it might have looked a little more elegant. Also whilst the thrustline is obviously wrong it looked to me like it might be tail heavy too - I would be tempted to try a power off test glide over long grass to check itbefore trying another powered flight. Good luck!

Bonzo Moon24/11/2020 12:02:59
108 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by MattyB on 24/11/2020 10:59:53:

Nice work, but why are the interplane struts so tall? Seems like they could have been 50% shorter and it might have looked a little more elegant. Also whilst the thrustline is obviously wrong it looked to me like it might be tail heavy too - I would be tempted to try a power off test glide over long grass to check itbefore trying another powered flight. Good luck!

Agree it looks tall but I Googled biplanes and it's suggested that the gap should be the same as the chord, which is what I went for. It's the same on the Flight Test foam board SE5 Biplane. Does look a bit ungainly though! Google said biplanes don't generate twice the lift of a single wing mostly because of the airflow between wings, hence it improves with a big gap!

Bonzo Moon24/11/2020 12:53:13
108 forum posts
2 photos

From Google

Biplane Gap & Stagger

Abstracted by Mike Nassise

Gap and stagger are a pair of terms used to describe a biplane's layout which a modeler should well understand when building a multi-wing mode/- Editor. The gap on a biplane is the distance between the two wings. It is measured as the vertical distance between the chord lines of the two airfoils. All biplanes must, obviously, have a certain gap and, in general, this should be as large as possible. For satisfactory flight efficiency a minimum figure is usually stated as gap:' wing chord (or chord of the largest wing if these are of unequal size). There is no theoretical upper limit, but above a gap of about 1.5 the max chord, each wing acts as a single monoplane wing with no inter-wing interference.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Subscribe now
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!