Forum sponsored by CML

BMFA Update - Article 16 Authorisation

27th Nov update

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
cymaz29/11/2020 08:54:46
9610 forum posts
1268 photos

I’m not sure the 1:1 rule is a particularly good idea. If a pilot is safely practicing prop hanging over the strip and a person walks over to the pilot against the advice of other members....that’s not the pilots fault. Agreed the pilot should be mindful of others but the public must also act responsibly and reasonably

Former Member29/11/2020 09:55:22
2076 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Dickw29/11/2020 10:26:24
834 forum posts
104 photos
Posted by Steve J on 28/11/2020 20:25:35:
Posted by Dickw on 28/11/2020 11:01:44:

Perhaps those who are not in the BMFA, SAA, LMA, or FPV UK need to form an association to read, analyse, and disseminate the relevant information to it's members. .

Flyers who are not members of the associations get a basic understanding of the legal basis of flying from doing the CAA competency test. A BMFA member with a 30 year old 'A' is exempt from doing this test.

Agreed, but my CAA Flyer ID is valid for three years so I won't be doing the CAA competency test for another two years, and I don't think that exempts me from investigating the new regs. yet.

I don't recall seeing anything recently from the CAA telling me about the changes taking place in the new year, so would certainly not expect anything from anyone explaining things still being negotiated. No doubt a Flyer education programme will kick in soon!

The fact that negotiations re Article 16 are even taking place suggests the CAA still see benefit in the "associations" so I am happy to wait for the outcome. (I am not actually aware of an alternative)

Dick

MattyB29/11/2020 13:29:06
2454 forum posts
47 photos
Posted by Steve J on 29/11/2020 09:55:22:
Posted by cymaz on 29/11/2020 08:54:46:

I’m not sure the 1:1 rule is a particularly good idea. If a pilot is safely practicing prop hanging over the strip and a person walks over to the pilot against the advice of other members....that’s not the pilots fault.

If you are a few metres off the ground, the 1:1 rule is not a big deal. If you are thermal soaring at 1000ft, it's a bit more of an issue.

It is so badly worded and almost impossible to understand, let alone follow in real time. When I first read it I checked back to try and find the bit that said “At heights below x metres...”, but it wasn’t there. It also took me about four readings to realise that by “distance” (d) they must mean horizontal distance along the ground, not distance in a straight line between the uninvolved person and the model. As a result of these two factors it means if flying at 400ft (the legal maximum for non-association members) the pilot is somehow expected to keep the model 400ft away from anyone uninvolved, but remember they can’t climb away to do that... Bonkers.

MattyB30/11/2020 11:20:49
2454 forum posts
47 photos
Posted by Dickw on 29/11/2020 10:26:24:
The fact that negotiations re Article 16 are even taking place suggests the CAA still see benefit in the "associations" so I am happy to wait for the outcome. (I am not actually aware of an alternative)
Dick

You are right that there is no alternative at this point, but only the result will tell us how much the Associations are valued by the CAA and government. Our safety record is exceptionally good and shows that we can operate closer to uninvolved persons/buildings than the new regs set out, but we all know this is not really about safety anyway...

MattyB10/12/2020 10:18:07
2454 forum posts
47 photos

Still nothing on the Article 16 Authorisation from the CAA or BMFA, but this recent letter from Grant Schapps (Secretary of State for Transport) to the CAA does have some reassuring words about the regulatory attitude he expects to see post Brexit...

"Becoming a credible, trusted and globally influential future regulator after Brexit:

The CAA is a core regulator with safety and security at the centre of everything that it does. In adapting to its new role outside the European Union, the CAA must ensure it has the capacity and capability to build on that foundation, to deliver its new regulatory responsibilities and to be globally influential – by developing international partnerships, strengthening relationships with the International Civil Aviation Organisation and proactively engaging with such bodies as the Federal Aviation Administration. It must use the new flexibilities to regulate better. Regulating proportionately is particularly important – it benefits both fliers and freight owners, protecting their rights as aviation consumers and in insolvency situations. The Regulators’ Code requires the CAA to ensure that all regulation is proportionate and risk based, and this is especially important for sporting and recreational fliers who cannot pass the costs they bear onto customers. We have discussed the CAA working with us on a further regulatory review programme to ensure that we can take advantage of the new opportunities as we leave EASA. The CAA should also pursue a leadership role in establishing an international grouping of like-minded national aviation authorities to learn lessons from one another and develop joint initiatives to improve regulation."

However it's not all good news...

"Modernising airspace:

As co-sponsor of modernisation, the CAA has a vital role in ensuring the successful delivery of the Airspace Modernisation Strategy. The need to modernise the UK’s airspace remains clear despite the impact of COVID-19 on the programme. Airspace modernisation will create sufficient airspace capacity to deliver safe and efficient growth, whilst reducing the noise and carbon emissions of individual flights. Modernised
airspace is also essential to opening up airspace for all users, and an important initiative being led by the CAA is an airspace classification review and reform project to look at the release of controlled airspace.
It is vital that all airspace users can access airspace where it is safe to do so. As part of this, I consider the timely and effective deployment of Electronic Conspicuity to be a priority for delivering safety."

Edited By MattyB on 10/12/2020 10:18:39

MattyB16/12/2020 14:55:43
2454 forum posts
47 photos

For future reference, from this thread...

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 16/12/2020 12:21:49:

See for the official notice from the BMFA CEO at **LINK**

More Details at **LINK**

Quick start guide for BMFA members at **LINK**

Authorisation in full **LINK**

Link to register for the Article 16 Webinar on Monday 21st December @ 7.30pm

Personally having had time to digest it all I think the massive amount of time, dedication and hard work of the BMFA CEO over the past 5 years especially with the initial work at the highest levels in Europe has meant that we have an authorisation that essentially means we are able to carry on pretty much as we do now. Dave ahs been ably assisted by Rob Buckley from the LMA and special advisors Cliff Whittaker and Roger Hopkinson, MBE.

Some requirements are a little more formal but there is very little by the way of extra requirements and certainly no extra barriers to participation.

This authorisation allows us to start looking forward to 2021 with a very positive outlook, COVID hopefully on the backfoot and model aircraft flying on the front foot!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Subscribe now
Jetworks
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!