Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

JR xp652 memory cell

Coin cell replacement.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
kenb03/12/2020 21:31:39
12 forum posts

Hi. Have anyone on here had first hand experience of changing the memory cell on the jr652 tx. The job looks straight forward but are there any pitfalls to watch out for. Thanks.

Ken

John Lee03/12/2020 22:31:29
857 forum posts
109 photos

Not on a 652 but I did do so on my JR3810 which had a similar back up memory cell, as indeed did all the JR transmitters from the early 90's until the PCM9XII.

That was back in about 2005, there were all sorts of scare stories about at the time indicating potential problems but mine swapped out without a hitch.

kenb03/12/2020 23:05:38
12 forum posts

Thanks John, sounds reassuring. Will have a go at mine now.

Terry Plumridge 108/12/2020 17:08:11
13 forum posts

Just about to ask the same question. I too have a Jr XP652. I am checking it over after 18 years in storage. Everything seems in order. Reading through the manual it mentions a lithium cell but I opened the case and cant find it. What does it actually do? If it needs to be changed can you please give me some guidance.

Terry.

kenb12/12/2020 11:56:15
12 forum posts

Terry. I was in the same boat as you. Bought mine in 2008 never used just stored. I fitted a Frsky 2.4gig module, everything ok then found out about the 5 year battery. The cell is a cr2032 coin cell and is situated on the motherboard. To get to it, you have to remove the RF board , then remove 4 screws that hold the motherboard,lift the board and you can see the cell, it will probably have a yellow insulation round it. Mine still read 3.28volts but after 12 years on a 5year cell thought best to change it as it is powering the memory chip whenever the tx switched off. Without it all memory would be lost, including l believe the basic function of the set. There may be members of this forum who could explain in more detail. Unfortunately getting access to remove the cell is a bit of a pain, you have to remove the daughter board, or as I did, the switches at the top. Don't know how long it is before memory is gone so I proped it up with a remote cell while I removed and replaced it. Hope all this is of help. Best of luck.

Ken

Terry Plumridge 112/12/2020 15:57:05
13 forum posts

Thanks Ken, that sounds relatively easy. How is the remote cell connected if the original is still in place? Just for interest I bought mine in 2000. I had it set up for a heli, all of the settings are still there. Just as a check I programmed another aircraft in the memory with a delta wing mix, all working properly!! But better safe than sorry.

Cheers, Terry.

kenb12/12/2020 16:19:32
12 forum posts

Hi Terry.

I connected a separate 3v cell then managed to wrangle the old one out. Then fitted the remote cell on about 4inch lead on to the solder pads. If ever you need to change it again you don't need to strip it down. Fasten the cell down with some servo tape. Then remove support batery..Hope that makes sense.

Ken b

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!