Forum sponsored by CML

Saito 40 Special

Front bearing, oil seal??

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Hamish26/01/2009 21:18:48
642 forum posts
47 photos
Picked this engine up off ebay.  Sized solid and covered in grot and had epoxy to hold carb pipe in place etc.  After a complete strip, with gently persuasion in heated engine cleaner, got it all apart and cleaned up and turning freely.  Re-assembled and it looks really good.

Put it on my test bed and having no idea what the needle settings would be and did the "blow through" set up.  Second application of the starter motor and away she went, am I gobsmacked. First problem was I though she was running the wrong way.  After several stops and starts had a look at the prop I had just thrown on, a pusher!!!!! Changed prop and I really am impressed.  Can get it ticking over so low that  I am sure I can count the revs. just like taking your pulse.

Anyway the purpose of the post is should oil come out of the front bearing?  I was turning the engine over by hand and noted oil coming out.  If it does need a set of bearing any ideas from where.

Just as an addition to this post, this type of engine encourages what I have term the Harley Davidson syndrom when you just polish  and polish as they look so good.  Anybody else have this affliction?

Doug Ireland27/01/2009 09:24:32
2088 forum posts
42 photos
Hi Hamish,

If its running as well as you say it is then I wouldn't bother taking it apart any further. I'm not sure if there is a seal on the front end, just close tolerance bearings.
John Laird27/01/2009 15:10:09
427 forum posts
46 photos
hamish,

saitos are nice engines - I am just running in a mk3 40 which I have had from new almost 30 years.

the compression in the crankcase when the piston goes down each stroke  will blow oil out past front seals - more so if the vent at the back of the crankcase is blocked.  make sure that vent is clear  as this carries away most of the compression leaving sufficient to blow through front bearings for lubrication.

john
Hamish27/01/2009 19:53:20
642 forum posts
47 photos
Thanks Doug and John

The crankcase breather is free, however I will check.

Its going in an old Cub I am renovating and can't wait for the weekend when hopefully it will get a flight.  Have an APC 11 x  7 which I will try.  Model shop did not have a APC 11 x 6 although I have a Master Screw 11 X 6  which I can change too if need be.
John Laird28/01/2009 16:19:11
427 forum posts
46 photos
hamish,

my old 40 is running in very nicely on the apc 11 x 7 , but then it is an older  type motor and less powerful I suspect than your special

john

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us