Forum sponsored by CML

Engine - Fuel tank relative positions.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Hugh Coleman31/01/2009 23:11:09
518 forum posts
11 photos
Hi,
I know that the best and most effective position of the fuel tank in relation to the engine is that the fuel tank center line is in line with the engine carbie.

But if I have my engine(s) mounted on the upper main plane of my subject, then I am restricted to either the small amount of fuel that I can store in the upper main plane center section or have to fit a larger fuel tank in the fuselage and then somehow get the fuel up to the engine(s).

The subject in mind is a scale one and will never fly inverted.

My question is whether it is in fact possible to pump/suck fuel up from the fuselage to the upper main plane.  The distance will be 250-300 mm depending on the scale I eventually decide upon.

My other option is to go electric... which might in the end be simpler...

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Hugh
Tim Mackey01/02/2009 10:14:37
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

I once used one f these to pump from a tank position in the tail of a Mirage up to the tractor engine,  fuselage length around 4.5 feet.  Worked well.
Peter 'Ivanna Crashalot' Savage03/02/2009 23:32:12
1557 forum posts
58 photos
you could try it, start the engine with the tank up in line, then slowly move it down to how low it would be in the plane, see if it manages to syphon the fuel up
I was always wondering how you power glow engines when they are like on a stalk above the wing
Terry Whiting04/02/2009 08:07:32
154 forum posts
Hugh, 
  Have built and flown a few twin models, although I never ever suffered a dead motor, the fear was always there, and that was with a conventional fuel set up. ie (fuel tank in engine nacelles)

With the fuel tank arrangement you are contemplating I would certainly go for ELECTRIC.

PS  Has it cooled down in Melbourne?
Hugh Coleman05/02/2009 01:29:05
518 forum posts
11 photos
Thanks for the feed back guys.

I think I will probably end up electric, but at this stage of the planning, I am leaving my options open.

Hi Terry.  This week has not been bad... Mid 30's.  Sat and Sun are promising to hot up into the 40's again though... and with bush fires (controlled at the moment) only 4-5 km from our property, we are on full alert.

Cheers,

Hugh
Hugh Coleman21/02/2009 10:02:31
518 forum posts
11 photos
I've worked out how to do this.
The engine nacelles mounted under the wing are quite large enough to accomodate the fuel tanks... I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Now, to pick the engines...
OS 40FX (AX)?  Evolution 40? 

Cheers,

Hugh
flytilbroke21/02/2009 15:15:06
2083 forum posts
5 photos
Nice seeing you have that sorted Hugh, as for the other wonder how..... for example the Seamaster and the Northstar use high mount systems. The Seamaster on a raised Pod above the wing and the Northstar the pod is raised in the Tail. Both have the fuel tank in the pod, behind the engine.

Have fun

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us