Forum sponsored by CML

Mobile phones for the elderly.....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Hooper13/03/2009 08:27:26
2899 forum posts
2406 photos
Oh Gawd no, please - not me.

Today I have to take my technophobic mother to buy a mobile phone.  She's 87 and, although she has all her marbles, stopped following the march of progress shortly after WW2.

Anyway, her landline went belly-up a couple of days ago and left her incommunicado for far too long (thank you Virgin for your usual appalling service), so i need to gently break her in to the 21stC.

Quote;  "I think I need one of those mobile phone-thingies, but I don't want to have one of those dish-things on the side of my house........"

Wish me luck.......

tim

David Ashby - Moderator13/03/2009 08:43:51
11015 forum posts
1722 photos
616 articles

I know some senior citizens who've taken to their phones like a duck to water, then there's others who say that no one ever rings them before admitting that they never switch the things on!
Robin Coombs13/03/2009 09:07:14
144 forum posts
6 photos
My Grandson has tried, unsuccessfully, to teach me to use my cell phone "correctly" but I only use it for phone calls, occasionally.

ken anderson.13/03/2009 09:21:33
8683 forum posts
808 photos
we'll all be the same one day.........................

young ken anderson..............
00113/03/2009 11:54:50
2212 forum posts
1 photos
Where I live, in a valley, there is no mobile coverage for about 5 miles all round. I carry a cheap pay as you go mobile phone when I go out in my car for emergencies and quite often I forget to take it. I send texts about twice a year. I do not need a camera  or different ringtones or pictures on the screen and cannot understand why people pay for these extras and change their phones every few months. Until very recently I was using a 7 year old Nokia..   
Why do mobile phone companies not make a simple phone that just makes and receives phone calls, has a big keypad and a screen that I can see without changing my spectacles and provide a service that works all over the country, even in some city streets!? (Yes I am a BOF)

When I fill in forms on the internet there is always a box requesting my mobile phone number, sometimes this is a required field, do these companies not realise that not everybody has, needs or wants a mobile phone?

Pete B - Moderator13/03/2009 13:55:30
7655 forum posts
734 photos
'Why do mobile phone companies not make a simple phone that just makes and receives phone calls, has a big keypad and a screen that I can see without changing my spectacles and provide a service that works all over the country, even in some city streets!? (Yes I am a BOF)'

You're a man after my own heart, Richard, whatever a BOF is
Tim Mackey13/03/2009 17:58:36
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Boring Old Fart
birdy13/03/2009 18:14:48
1423 forum posts
110 photos
Ooo errrrr! I can't work my grandma's phone; what happens when I am eighty? Good luck. from a BUF!
ken anderson.13/03/2009 19:19:00
8683 forum posts
808 photos
the point that everyone misses is depending on how you play your card's-with your kid's dictates which old people's home you end up in! ----what go'es around come's around-i think that i'm heading for the council one with a view of the gaswork's.....

you have been warned---ken anderson..........
David Ashby - Moderator13/03/2009 19:20:21
11015 forum posts
1722 photos
616 articles
My daughter can stick me on a cruise ship all year round - it'll be cheaper that way
Garry Pollard13/03/2009 20:06:59
1091 forum posts
If I step out of line my daughter just says the word "Bayview" that quietens things down lol
Garry
Broken Prop13/03/2009 21:48:18
624 forum posts
1 photos
Myron Beaumont13/03/2009 21:52:04
5797 forum posts
51 photos
how do I connect my mobile phone to a dish ?
Tim Hooper13/03/2009 22:40:06
2899 forum posts
2406 photos
"how do I connect my mobile phone to a dish ? "

You're not my mother, are you?

OK, the Nokia phone is bought and is on charge.  That's the easy bit; tomorrow I have to go and give her a tutorial in its operation. Given her total lack of digital nouce, it stands to be a complete nightmare.....

Never mind, her heart's in the right place!

Pete B,  there are indeed very simple phones available to suit the technologically-challenged, but it's a niche market and the purveyors of these phones are happy to charge a heavy premium for what is essentially a very simple item;

tim
00114/03/2009 08:12:44
2212 forum posts
1 photos
Thanks Tim, you don't see those in your High Street shop. The cheapest one is about three times as expensive as the one I have now, so I will stick with what I have for the next few years!  I like the sound of the 'powerful buit-in vibrator' though
Peter Miller14/03/2009 08:44:21
11093 forum posts
1309 photos
10 articles
I have a mobile phone. IT is never switched on and I don't even know my own number. I got it for emergencies while out in the car.

When I bought it the man asked what features I wanted. I said "A phone, nothing else." Look of shock horror on his face.

The first one I had you had to top up once a year with £10. When it became obsolete I got a refund of £70.

Oh yes, connecting a mobile phone to a dish! Well, you want a good quality dish, I suggest Royal Doulton. Then Epoxy is the best means of connection.
Alex Leigh14/03/2009 09:15:31
892 forum posts
56 photos
1 articles
Some old simple Nokia phones sell for more on eBay than they did new seven or eight years ago. I have a very expensive and clever one for work that is fantastic. At the weekend, I whip the SIM Out and stick it in an old knackered phone that lives in my back pocket,

My Mum (77) was late to Mobiles but I'm really glad she has one. She even sent me a txt the other day (although then rang me up to see if I'd got it, someone obviating the point but hey ho)

People said the same about spinning jennny's As long as we remember they have an off switch, and that marketing isn't the same as need, it'll all be fine
Pete B - Moderator14/03/2009 15:46:24
7655 forum posts
734 photos
A) Silly me, Richard, of course I'm a BOF - as SWMBO often tells me!

B) Now just hang on a minute, Tim - I'm not that near death

Pete
Eric Bray14/03/2009 22:59:11
6600 forum posts
2 photos
Something to beware of, our friendly BT tends to cancel mobile sim-cards that haven't been used for a while, even if there is credit remaining on them, on the assumption that the phone has been lost or scrapped. My wife lost a tenner like that, last year.

About all I use MY mobie for is a ten second call every friday, to get a taxi to take me from the supermarket to home! £10 credit lasts all year! I've given up reading messages from Orange telling me that I haven't 'topped up' enough this month to win my bonus text points. I don't 'do' text anyway!

David, there was something on the news early last year about an old lady who spent her later years cruising, for that very same reason, it was cheaper and more luxurious than a home!
David Ashby - Moderator15/03/2009 05:46:52
11015 forum posts
1722 photos
616 articles
Yes indeed Eric - the American lady who lived on the QE2 for years up till it retired. I hope she found a new floating home. Sounds like a plan to me.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!