All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Futaba 6EX users

Futaba 6EX users

Log your settings with this handy spreadsheet - 10/3/09

Roderic Craig18/04/2009 23:19:52
36 forum posts
Im new to RC and am having difficulty setting up spoiler function on my Easy Glider ie Ailerons up and elevator down using my Futaba 6EX. I thought I could just use flaperon mode but of course this gives only ailerons down! Using the programable mixer mode is it possible to do? I contact Futaba and succeeded in getting a transatlantic reply which was rather tert, "turn the knob the other way to get them up!! " I was hoping they would talk me though it! Any body out there who can help?  The Easy Glider seems to fly on forever when trying to land.  Rod Craig
Clive Matthews18/04/2009 23:53:58
335 forum posts
32 photos
1 articles
Welcome Roderic, there are always plenty of people here willing to help. Here's my two pennies worth!

I'll have to make some assumptions here as you haven't given all the information needed for an accurate reply.

The left aileron is assigned to channel 6 and the right aileron is assigned to channel 1 and you are using the Flaperon function?

Below is a paste from the manual;

FLTR Flap trim (ACRO only)

The Flap Trim function is used to specify the amount of flap travel produced moving the flap switch. Use of the normal flap switch will be inhibited if the flaperon function is activated, so the Flap Trim function should be activated if you need to control flaps by the Flap switch.

To activate flap trim:

1. Enter the programming mode. Access the FLTR screen with the MODE key.

2. If INH is blinking, push DATA INPUT lever upward for 0.5 seconds. Then you will see that

the blinking INH changes to ON. Your flap trim is now turned on.

3. Set the travel of the flap switch at between -100% and +100% by using DATA INPUT lever.

Two rates (upward and downward of flap switch) are adjustable.
Hope this helps. I also fly an Easy Glider, the spoilers definately help landing.

Peewhit19/04/2009 19:58:12
795 forum posts
264 photos
Hi Alex,

I have set up an Easy Glider using the same Futaba 6EX.

First, make sure that flaperon mixing (FLPR) is turned on (reads "ON" as opposed to a flashing "INH") and then set the flap movement using the flap trim screen.

As Clive says, the spoilerons will move according to the settings of the flap trim (FLTR) function and you should be able to adjust this so that the spoilerons will move from "level" to the required up setting when the flap dial is turned.

If you have not managed to achieve this, come back.

Otherwise, having set up the spoiler movement you need to use the programmable mix to give the necessary elevator compensation.
This ensures that the EG remains level when the spoilers are activated.

Set chanel 6 (flaps) as the master, chanel 2 (elevator) as the slave, and adjust the %age settings so that the elevator moves the right amount in the right direction.

My setting here is +27% but yours may need to be different.

Good luck - we will get it right for you!
Roderic Craig19/04/2009 20:42:57
36 forum posts
Hi Clive and Peter, thank you so much,thats really great ,I'll get that set up asap.I'm really impressed that you could come up with the help so quickly.Will leytyou know how I get on Best Wishes to you both Roderic.
Roderic Craig21/04/2009 00:01:41
36 forum posts
Hi Clive and Peter, Success.Thank you so much.Quite complicated to do,not helped by Futaba's strange hyroglyphics on their LCD, considering the cost of it youd think they could have a standard LCD display.Anyrateit works, now just to see how it works when landing,will try it at altitude first to see,what happens.Roderic
Clive Matthews21/04/2009 17:06:10
335 forum posts
32 photos
1 articles
Make sure that you mix in a bit of down elevator Roderic, you will find that it noses up otherwise.
I've just switched from Futaba to JR. As far as programming is concerned they have completely different approach! The Futaba is very logical (as in the mathmatic sense) whereas the JR has a more intuitive approach. As an example a typical Futaba mix might be ch1 to 4 whereas a JR mix might be aileron to rudder. Once you've assigned functions to a JR, it will note those functions and mix by name rather than by channel number.
Both work well, but I seem to avoid getting tied up in knots and achieve the desired result easier and much quicker with the JR.

Edited By Clive Matthews on 21/04/2009 17:09:25

Peewhit21/04/2009 19:02:24
795 forum posts
264 photos
Hi Roderic,

Glad you got it sorted.

Futaba is Futaba and once you have decoded their instructions into Practical English, things are not too bad.

I have since moved to 2.4GHz - with a JR Spektrum which is much easier to program.

Give a shout if you need any more help.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Motion RC
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us