Forum sponsored by CML

Egypt

Some pics from Cairo

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Morton02/05/2009 06:41:34
188 forum posts
24 photos
These are some photo's from flying out near the Giza pyramids.  A challenging site - with building and powerlines very close. 

The Worldmodels trainer had it's wing cut in half when it hit the powerlines - so have stopped flying power there - anything bigger than a park flyer is just looking for trouble.
But the view was terrific...

The Ready 2 coming in to land

The Flying Wngs Buzz

My son with the Buzz

The Skunk - a scratch built c/l wing marking my return to modelling after a 33year break

Tim Morton02/05/2009 06:55:45
188 forum posts
24 photos

Forgot to add this pic

This is the World Models Skyraider - my first R/C trainer - I leant to fly here in Egypt on it (I had already broken it in half and had repaired it in this photo) - pilot error!!!!

Shortly after this photo I took one of my local staff out for a first time fly and unfortunately he lost control and fly it through the power lines before we could get to him.  Tore the wing in half and it plummeted into the deck - quite a bit of damage but since 80% repaired.  Hope to fly it again soon... 

Nobby15902/05/2009 07:20:23
330 forum posts
44 photos
Tim, third picture first set, those are power lines, not just my eyes
Good pictures thanks for sharing
Nobby
Tim Morton02/05/2009 07:33:21
188 forum posts
24 photos

Nobby

Yes they are power lines - they look a little closer than they really are - I guess they're about 3 - 400 yards away.  Far too close for comfort though...

I now fly power mostly out on a new road construction about 15mins from my house.  There's an occaisonal truck - except on a Friday (equivalent to Sunday in the UK) when there's no construction traffic. 

There's also an unused Egyptian military airfield where some of the local guys with the really big models fly.  I've only been there once and apart from the fact it's a two hour plus drive from my place you have to have the right contacts even to enter the place.

Cheers

Tim
Nobby15902/05/2009 07:59:47
330 forum posts
44 photos
Tim, I was in Somalia 95 to 2000, so your pictures brought back memories of the clear blue sky´s. Did try and fly out there, got the gear and plane from Dubai, built it up (Trainer), took it out to maiden, did a short up and down, re-trimed, a crowd was gathering, I reved it up and they STONED it dead
Never tried again
Nobby

Edited By Nobby159 on 02/05/2009 08:01:40

David Ashby - Moderator02/05/2009 08:08:57
10988 forum posts
1707 photos
614 articles
Nice pics Tim.

Sounds like a daft question but does the sand/dust pose a problem with engines?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME moderator on 02/05/2009 08:35:46

Tim Morton02/05/2009 08:48:01
188 forum posts
24 photos

David - not a daft question at all. 

The answer is definitely - it's quite common when cleaning down your plane to have a film of rubbing paste / compound - very silty and gritty.  No doubt at all this gets into your engine.

It's one reason why I prefer not to run engines in on the ground - best to keep them rich and get them in the air as soon as possible.   I do have a number of PAW diesels which I ran in on ground - but it was at home and sheltered from worst of the desert sand.

Ultimately though you have to accept that engines are a consumable -  I haven't worn one out yet but no doubt it's coming...

Tim Morton02/05/2009 09:13:16
188 forum posts
24 photos

Nobby

Stonng an aircraft sounds pretty extreme - seems the Egyptians are a lot more tolerant. 

How did get fuel in Somalia? 
We get glow fuel here (there's a local hobby shop) but I have to mix my own diesel and whilst I get some hassle with the ether it is obtainable eventually.  But to get any Aml Nitrate / IPN / Nitro Benzene is an impossibilty.  Guess they think I'm going to create a bomb...

I eventually managed to get a bottle of IPN (don't ask how) so now my diesels run fine.

Nobby15903/05/2009 08:20:38
330 forum posts
44 photos
Tim,
We had to bring everything in from Dubai, plane, Tx, engine, fuel etc.
Why stone the plane who knows this is Somalia, war torn traumatised people, who knows what was behind it. 
Pitty as Berbera airport has the longest runway in Africa, the Americans extended it to take the shuttle, can you imagine how much ransom they would want for that  
Peter Miller03/05/2009 08:50:23
10953 forum posts
1272 photos
10 articles
Looks very like Aden back in the 60s.

The heat reduces the power output of engines and sand does wear them out quite fast.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!