Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

MFA Chevron 2

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roger in Dubai18/05/2009 10:56:51
148 forum posts
13 photos
Does anybody remember the MFA Chevron 2 ?  A kit of a 70's style pattern ship with swept wing and tail surfaces.   When I was learning to fly at Kings Lynn MAC back in 1975 on a Kamco Kadet , one of the club experts was flying one of these with a twin plug Merco 61.   Basically from that time onwards I have often remenisced about owning one of them.  Does anyone have plans or know of the whereabouts of a kit lerking away somewhere ?  A rather tall order I know, but if nothing else, will help those that can remember that far back of one of the best looking, in my opinion, aircraft of the day.
Brian Cooper18/05/2009 21:12:11
449 forum posts
20 photos

Yup, I used to have one.  (Yes, I am that old. Lol). 

Mine had a Webra Speed 61 in the front.

> >

There were many aerobatic models in that era which were superb, but the MFA Chevron certainly wasnt one of one of them.  It looked good, but actually it was a fairly unremarkable model.  

In fact, one day the rudder ripped itself off whilst flying a four-point roll and it generally flew a whole lot better for it.  

After that, I didnt bother to replace the old rudder, but I simply cut a new rudder from the fin.  

> 

>

B.C.

RichB18/05/2009 22:37:09
81 forum posts
1 photos
I had a Mini Chevron (slightly smaller version believe it or not!) with an OS 40 up front.
I remember it had a vicious tip stall and would flip on its back in an instant, if I tried to haul it off our rather small patch too quickly.
Apart from the tip stall, I enjoyed flying it until, one day, while experimenting with rate switches on my home-built Micron gear, I forgot it was in low elevator rate and a big loop ended up underground!! Scratch one Mini-Chevron.
Roger in Dubai19/05/2009 06:41:33
148 forum posts
13 photos
Thanks guys, just goes to show what time can do to the memory.   I always aspired to fly a plane like that whilst still battling to control a trainer.  So perhaps better that I leave the memories intact and just continue with today's crop of excellent aircraft. 
Have a good "fleet" at the moment, World Models Mustang 60, Sebart Angel 50 and Katana 30, A proer build fun fly machine, Extra 330L and about to complete the Spitfire 90 from Kyosho.  Living here in Dubai we fly on a Friday as that is the only day off work and despite the fact the temps are climbing as we get nearer summer, we can be found at the field from early morning to about 11 at the moment.  In full summer we leave the field by 08:00 as far too hot and humid after that.  Roll on next winter and temps return to a cool 25 by midday.  Once again, thanks for the updates on the Chevron.
Roger in Dubai19/05/2009 06:48:01
148 forum posts
13 photos
Thanks guys.  Sounds as though I should leave my memories intact.  Always aspired to be able to fly a pattern plane whilst I was battling with the trainer.  Don't get me started on the Gangster 63, that was another one flown by Marcus Griggs that caught my eye.
Now after 34 years of flying almost everything (still no jets) but pattern planes, scale planes, flying irons, flying saucers and the full spectrum of just about anything else that is capable of flight I look at my present "fleet" and am contented with what I have available for a Friday session at the field to get what we call "our flying fix".  We fly on Friday as that is our only day off work here in Dubai.
Roger in Dubai19/05/2009 06:50:13
148 forum posts
13 photos
OOPS, seems as though the message about having to pass a thread to the page was confusing and I replied a second time.  Oh well, all bases covered.  Thanks again
Phil Claridge19/05/2009 07:13:41
1924 forum posts
32 photos
my brother has a gangster, he let me fly it and i didnt want to give him back the tranny only threats of violence to my person and a deadstick situation worked. superb flying model ps im only an average A pilot    regards phil
Brian Cooper19/05/2009 08:24:02
449 forum posts
20 photos
Hi Roger,

Another vote of approval here for the Gangster 63.  It flies really well and is a smooth aerobatic performer with no nasty vices waiting to catch you out.
Plus, it will easy out-fly a Chevron any day of the week.

If you like Spitfires, youre going to love the Kyosho Spitfire 90.  I have one with a 26cc RCGF petrol engine in the front and I cant stop flying it.  Its just gorgeous. 

B.C.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 19/05/2009 08:24:55

Jim Carss19/05/2009 09:22:43
2069 forum posts
80 photos
Roger,

Nowt wrong with the gangster 63,this is my Lite version aith SC52 up front and has exellent vertical performance and as Brian says   So smooth.

Jim 

Roger in Dubai20/05/2009 07:06:40
148 forum posts
13 photos
Thanks for the continuation on the Gangster theme.  Recently the LHS had a Kwik Fly II on the shelf and could not resist the purchase, especially as it was reduced.  It just cried out to me "buy me, buy me", so who am I to resist this ?  Also a classic pattern plane and as the retro style of pattern flying is seeing a resurgence, seemed an obvious choice as Gangster or Chevron not available here in Dubai.

Just happened to have a new OS 75AX awaiting a good home and now I think it has one.  Will not assemble that just yet though, as find it difficult to get more than 2 planes in the car at the same time and that would add to the dilemma each week on what to fly.
JOHN BOWMAN22/05/2009 15:22:03
59 forum posts
177 photos
The Gangster 63, yes I built several in the 1970's. All powered by a version of the Merco 61.
We were just married and my set of Horizon Radio Control with Mcgregor servos cost about £120 for a four channel set, 27meg of course.
The Gangster kit cost about £22 and if I remember correctly so did a Merco 61.
Expensive hobby then?

My posh friends had Grupner Kwick Fly's and HP61's both of these models were excelent for their time and very forgiving for aerobatic models, probably made us look better than we were!

Here are a couple of 1970's pictures of my wife Jill and myself both taken on the Rhyl & DMFC field in the 1970's. Those of you who know the field will see that the "RED SHED"
was quite a large structure in those days and will remember the risk of "a glitch" if if you dare to fly over the red shed!

Cheers
John Bowman

Edited By JOHN BOWMAN on 22/05/2009 15:23:17

Edited By JOHN BOWMAN on 22/05/2009 15:29:45

Edited By JOHN BOWMAN on 22/05/2009 15:30:53

Nigel Green 419/10/2019 00:51:54
1 forum posts

Hi All. This might sound unbelievable, but I have a chevron 2 kit that needs a new home. Boxed (a little faded) , but everything as new inside.

Price £30.

Buyer to collect from St. Albans.

Anybody interested ?

buster prop21/10/2019 10:23:29
471 forum posts
9 photos

Hi John, you are a blast from the past. I knew you years ago and have sent a "friend" request. Don't want to hijack this thread.

RichB21/10/2019 10:46:55
81 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Nigel,

I've sent you a pm.

If the Chevron is still available, I could collect it on Wednesday.

Regards,

Richard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us