Forum sponsored by CML

Replacing Glow Plugs

The easy way

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan B21/05/2009 09:17:34
680 forum posts
92 photos
Most modellers may know this- but for those who dont.  

Sometimes reaching and unscrewing the glow plug can be akward and fiddley depending on the position of the engine. (especially on helicopters). use a small socket and rachet  if you cant get your normal plug spanner on there.

Loosen off the plug and then push on a short piece of small bore fuel tubing onto the plug (make sure of a reasonable tight fit).. Turn the tubing and unsrew and remove the plug. Vice -versa -  screw up using the tubing and then tighten off using your spanner/socket.

Also saves dropping the plug!

Al

Edited By Alan B on 21/05/2009 09:21:15

Phil Claridge21/05/2009 09:36:49
1924 forum posts
32 photos
another way allan is use an old long reach glow stick with no battery, this keeps the plug nice and square to screw in and out, funnily enough i just thought of this as i am looking at one on my bench right now and just tried it
Ultymate21/05/2009 09:42:42
1700 forum posts
62 photos
Best of all glue the fuel tubing inside your plug spanner, does the whole thing in one operation picked this one up while racing IC buggies with deeper cylinder head finning
Alan B21/05/2009 09:50:18
680 forum posts
92 photos
Yep - nice one phil!  Done that one aswell ! (Great minds and all!) I tend to use the tubing when the space is a bit tight. Especially on my Raptor Heli as it now has a body kit on it. Me thinks a trained snake with a spanner would be another option!
Alan B21/05/2009 10:03:13
680 forum posts
92 photos
Food for thought there Ultimate.  They put rubber inserts inside Spark Plug sockets for Real Cars. Perhaps somebody may do the same for the model ones. Perhaps one may already exist.  Never come across one yet though.
Phil Claridge21/05/2009 10:13:00
1924 forum posts
32 photos
trained snake now theres a newFANGLED idea (groan)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us