Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Glow fuel price

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin McIntosh06/06/2009 20:40:51
3540 forum posts
1220 photos
Can anyone offer an explanation as to why glowfuel has increased in price by at least 50% recently? The ingredients are not based on mineral oil so are presumably not imported nor should they be affected in any way by the state of the £ Sterling. Are we just being taken for a ride again or is it because petrol motors are becoming more poplular so the retailers/wholesalers are trying to maintain their profits?
Phil Wood.07/06/2009 03:28:36
3638 forum posts
27 photos
It's just a basic rule of business........you charge what the market will tolerate......that way you get the most profit.

If nobody buys the stuff the price will come down.

Glow fuel is mostly methanol (methyl alcohol)  that can be distilled from a number of sources by fractional distillation,  it could come from coal, oil, gas, or your local pig farm.

The cost of this process is not affected by the cost of the raw materials but by the state of the economy......wages , taxes, interest rates etc.

But the biggest cost is....... "How much profit can they make?"..........and wouldn't you if you were in business?

We live in a greedy society..

Polyangelic.
Doug Ireland07/06/2009 04:10:40
2088 forum posts
42 photos
I've been thinking about these price increases and am considering converting to diesel fuel for my glow engines. There was a very good article in the mag last year sometime about the "Gadget" that can be fitted to a glow engine so that it can burn model diesel fuel instead of the normal methanol mix. By all accounts, you can get almost twice the duration out of the same volume of fuel if you change to diesel!
Les Turrall 207/06/2009 15:56:45
61 forum posts
Would be nice to have the views of a Manufacturer on this much debated issue. Bet we don't get one though!
Tom Foreman07/06/2009 17:41:59
990 forum posts
597 photos
Where as the cost of electric flight gets cheaper and cheaper, interesting times for model aviation
Martin McIntosh07/06/2009 21:58:09
3540 forum posts
1220 photos
Thanks for your replies. When I posted this I did not realise that others had already taken up the subject. The price increase appears to be across the board so they cannot blame it on the temporary increase in the price of nitro. Perhaps we should boycott one supplier at a time for a month, starting with Model Technics?

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 07/06/2009 22:13:23

Les Turrall 208/06/2009 10:42:01
61 forum posts
People power seems to be very much alive these days. I wonder whether a major modelling magazine like RCM@E for example were to commission an interview with a fuel manufacturer for publication would perhaps give the consumer the answers to the fuel price hike which at present, we can only second guess.
260 Flyer08/06/2009 12:48:16
523 forum posts
1 photos

Last year we were told that the price hike for glow fuel was due to the Olympics with China drasticaly trying to reduce pollution, but strangely the price of LiPo's and other electronics from China continued to fall, at least until the £ took a nosedive!

It would cerainly be interesting to hear the reason for the latest increases.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!