By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Do it again dad

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Terry Whiting18/06/2009 08:39:33
154 forum posts
A few years back a pal and I were given permission to fly in a certain field near
 Tring. It was a very rough affair with a farm drove through the centre, which if the wind was in a certain quarter we could  manage take offs.
We arranged a meet, and he brought along his two young sons as it was school summer hols.

My pal was first to fly as he wished to show off to his sons, so I took charge of the boys. The weather had been very dry making  take offs from the drove looked quite stectacular with a cloud of dust made by the model.
He performed some low fast runs up the drove creating quite some dust which the boys thought wonderful.
His next run through was low  inverted, halfway along the drove he pulled UP which  created the most spectacular crash with bits of model and a cloud of dust to the rapturous cry from the boys,  WOW WICKED DAD  DO IT AGAIN 
David Ashby - Moderator18/06/2009 08:45:39
10988 forum posts
1707 photos
614 articles
We've all seen it Terry and some have done it too  

Reminds me.....I was helping at an Air Scout camp in the early 1980s and watched while the scout leader got a glider out of his car and set it up to fly from a bungee tow line. Surrounded by excited scouts he pulled back the cord and let the glider go - it soared up gracefully......then the wing snapped off and the model plunged to the ground and was pulled along the deck by the unused power in the bungee - bit of balsa and tissue flying in all directions, total carnage.

The air scouts thought it was the very best thing they'd ever seen. We went over to inspect the wing and found he'd repaired an earlier wing break by butt-joining the two wing sections - no strengthening added at all - nice  
Chris Channon22/06/2009 17:13:33
549 forum posts
Hi all,
I remember years ago watching the club " know it all" telling us all about how he had built the Bleriot, used this wood, used this glue, stained the wood to a finish, then he fired up the diesel, threw the aeroplane into the air and away it went, and i mean away !!!
He had forgotten to switch on the RX and the aeroplane was, i hate to say it, beautifully built as it just flew straight and true. He did get it back after a long drive,.
Didn't see much of him after that, i wonder if he is still flying ????????
Regards as always
Chris.
00123/06/2009 09:07:23
2212 forum posts
1 photos
Many years ago when I was just starting out in R/C I bought a 'bargain' kit at a show, it was a Graupner Speedy which was a very lightweight balsa construction hand launch 2 channel thing of about 30" span for a Cox 0.49 (no throttle control) very small, very fast. I built it and covered it in red Solarfilm, then gave it to my friends 11 year old son, who was a demon flyer.
On its first and only flight, on a very low pass, he put it through a wire netting fence at top speed, it was shredded into tiny bits. Most of the plane went right through the fence, needless to say it was not repaired!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!