Forum sponsored by CML

Thermals

Soaring the Wing Dragon.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Simon Chaddock28/06/2009 14:52:10
5689 forum posts
3026 photos
For a short period today the weather was perfect. Hot, little wind and some nice puffy clouds building up.

So with a suitable cloud more or less overhead I took my Depron Wing Dragon thermal hunting.

Had to climb quite high (guess 500') to get anywhere near the clouds position and then shut the throttle set up a floaty circle and slowly move up wind trying to find the thermal feeding the cloud.

After a few minutes and a couple of bits of turbulence it actually looked like it was getting smaller, after another 5 and it definitely was.

Dare not take my eyes off it in case I can't pick it up again and I'm thinking just what is the range of these cheap 35mHz radios?

Eventually of course my nerve gave out and I flew away. How high? Maybe 1000' but without a recorder its very hard to tell.

Total power time 3 minutes, total flight time 20.  Not bad for what is supposed to be a power trainer.

I appreciate flying in thermals is nothing new but its a long time since I did it and then I was actually in the plane.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 28/06/2009 14:54:05

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!