By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Aileron Differential on AR500 RX

How can I achieve Aileron Differential on AR500 RX?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Romeo Whisky04/07/2009 15:12:22
697 forum posts
188 photos
After wasting an entire day fruitlessly trying to program aileron differential using my DX7 TX with an AR500 RX, I have just read some of the older threads about aileron mixing with this RX and am EXTREMELY ANNOYED that Spektrum do not explain in the documentation accompanying the RX that this is not possible.

Not only because of the wasted time, but also because these receivers are not cheap and how much more can it cost to incorporate a proper 6th channel instead of a Y-link???  I have bought several of these RXs, with a view to converting some older models to 2.4GHz, and in my view Spektrum STINK for not making this omission clear in their advertising and documentation.

I have just been reading some of the (old) threads regarding mixing ailerons on the Spektrum AR500RX using the 5th (gear) channel, but no mention was made of whether it is possible to program in differential in this way.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.
Tim Mackey04/07/2009 15:37:35
20914 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Well yes you can use two separate aileron servos by using a mix to a free channel like gear perhaps, ( use mix 6 or 7 as the trim then affects both channels simultaneosly ) 
I would think that differential could only be achieved by perhaps adjusting travel throw in one direction only for each channels one in one direction, and 'tother in 'tother IYSWIM, so that aileron travel is reduced in one direction only ( presumably the down going action ) ?

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 04/07/2009 15:38:32

Stefan Hafner04/07/2009 15:39:05
382 forum posts
15 photos
I've never used Spektrum radio, but if its anything like my JR set to programme you might need to set up the type of wing as using 2 servos ratherthan just one.

Alternatively, but a bit of a round-a-bout  way but could you not just set a mixer linking the 2 channels that you want to use for the ailerons.   to get differential you could set the maximum travels on the servos in each direction to get a different travel up and down.

I'm sure someone else might know an easier way
Stefan
Stefan Hafner04/07/2009 15:39:58
382 forum posts
15 photos
posted at the same time there
Gemma Jane04/07/2009 16:45:50
1349 forum posts
53 photos
It's in the manual under differential aileron mixing!

But essentially as stated above.

You have to activate Flaperon or Elevon wing mixing first

Once you have you can access the differential aileron mixing function

It will look something like

[DIFFERERENTIAL]

FLAPERON

NORM          0%

Increasing the value will reduce the amount of down travel in each aileron. There is no need to use travel adjust to set differential with the DX7

Tim Mackey04/07/2009 17:38:32
20914 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Dont think it will work with this method Gemma as it is not utilizing the "fixed mixes" of either flapperon or delta wing mixing.
Just try the method I suggested first, but remember to use 6 or 7 mix.
Gemma Jane04/07/2009 18:13:39
1349 forum posts
53 photos
It does work Timbo, I have it on most of my models.

As I said it is in the manual, page 55 to be precise!

It just isn't that obvious until you select Flaperon then, the above menu is available. Any travel adjust settings remain, but one can dial in the differential.
Tim Mackey04/07/2009 18:35:27
20914 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
With the AR500 Rx Gemma? - thats the key here, as it does NOT have separate aileron channels that deploy the fixed wing mix. I too have several models that use the wing mix system you mention and some use differential and some dont.
Its not an issue with "normal" RXs such as the 6100 and 7000.
Gemma Jane04/07/2009 22:31:22
1349 forum posts
53 photos
Ah the penny just dropped Tim, the AR500 is the one where the second aileron port acts like a Y lead and can't be mixed. I believe it is possible to mix elevon on the gear port but not differential aileron as I described.

Edited By Gemma Fairchild on 04/07/2009 22:32:05

Frank Skilbeck04/07/2009 23:17:06
4358 forum posts
101 photos
To be fair to Spektrum they do advertise this as a 5 channel Rx with an internal aileron Y lead. I did look at these and decided not to get any as I couldn't use the twin aileron feature on the DX6i with it.
Romeo Whisky05/07/2009 09:57:37
697 forum posts
188 photos
Thanks for all the responses.  It is easy to get differential with a proper 6-Channel RX as described by Gemma, but to get it with a full-range RX I have to go to the AR6200 (minimum) which is £15 or so MORE expensive than the AR500.  Hang it, I can buy a new 8 Channel 35MHz RX and Xtal for that!

As new technology comes along it is too easy to forget that we flew happily for years on 35MHz and many still do.  For this model and for any that need aileron differential I will just stay with 35MHz and my reliable RD6000 Super.

And sorry Frank - I do not agree that Spektrum properly advertised the AR500 as having a Y-lead link  - the documentation simply says the RX obviates the need for a Y-lead.  They should make it clear that the Flaperon option with differential is not available with this RX.
Doug Ireland05/07/2009 12:56:05
2088 forum posts
42 photos
Hi Richard,

I've got a couple of these excellent little Rx's and have wanted to use differential. Other than using the spare "gear" channel as mentioned above you will need to re-hinge your ailerons to get the differential mechanically. No big deal really, it's what we had to do before the advent of computer radios.
Frank Skilbeck06/07/2009 18:58:49
4358 forum posts
101 photos
"I have to go to the AR6200 (minimum) which is £15 or so MORE expensive than the AR500.  Hang it, I can buy a new 8 Channel 35MHz RX and Xtal for that!"

How much, have a look here 
Corona Rx.
You could get 3 of these for an AR6200

Edited By Phil Wood - Moderator on 06/07/2009 19:05:49

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Revoc
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us