By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Dead DX7

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
RonSpencerUK19/07/2009 13:02:11
82 forum posts
I was charging my DX7 using an Ultramat 16, something I've done a couple of times (newish DX7). I had to interrupt the charging and did so by pulling the red battery connector out of the charger.
I switched on the DX7 to see how much it was charged and it was completely dead. I plugged it back into the charger and got the "contact break" error message.
I looked in the Spektrum instruction book but no mention of deadness that I could see, so I opened the back of the DX7 for a look. There's a fuse in there!
 Not mentioned in the book and a bit of a pain to extract. The rating is 3A 250V and it's smaller than a normal household plus fuse.
Fortunately I had a couple of the correct size and rating knocking about so I got up and running again.
Thought I'd post this for other DX7 newbies who might not realise that a spare fuse would be handy to have, and also can anyone suggest a 'non-lethal' way of terminating the charging process?Thanks as ever 
Klippy19/07/2009 13:09:17
750 forum posts
13 photos
Hi Ron, the safest way is to disconnect from the 'prime mover' first, ie the mains. If, as some people do you're charging from a battery charger, it's the same. I normally switch off at the outlet first, then you don't get any nasty transients flying around that can blow fuses.
Ross Clarkson19/07/2009 13:34:57
1438 forum posts
106 photos
Thanks Ron, i am looking at upgrading to the DX7 so this is good advice.
Terry Whiting20/07/2009 06:46:41
154 forum posts
Ron, 
 I personally have made it a habit never to charge with the battery in situ with either   transmitter or model.
Dave Towell20/07/2009 12:18:56
214 forum posts
3 photos
The other option is to use a JR Tx Rx charger. Only a few quid and designed for the job.
Stephen Grigg20/07/2009 23:36:23
8691 forum posts
1128 photos
I use the same charger as you Ron and never had a problem.A new DX7 arrived today and charged in about half an hour.It had 10.3v before charging
John Privett21/07/2009 00:21:46
5944 forum posts
236 photos
Posted by Terry Whiting on 20/07/2009 06:46:41:
Ron, 
 I personally have made it a habit never to charge with the battery in situ with either   transmitter or model.

If the batteries are LiPos then I agree - not a good idea to charge in-situ. 

But if they're NiCds or MiMHs aren't you going to get more problems from wear and tear on the battery leads and connectors from constant removing/replacing and plugging/unplugging than any tiny risk of problems from iin-situ charging?

RonSpencerUK21/07/2009 11:03:53
82 forum posts
Hi Stephen - This was the first time I had problems with the charger/DX7 thats why I was a bit concerned when the Tx died on me.

Tony - wise words, I'll follow your suggestion if I need to terminate a charge in future.

Dave - yeah, I see your point  but I spent £100+ on the Graupner and leads to reduce the number of chargers I have.

Thanks for the replies, all gratefully recieved. 
Stephen Grigg22/07/2009 16:19:54
8691 forum posts
1128 photos
I did flatten my battery by leaving the controller on after a confusion of problems that prevented me flying.The battery charged up fine but the length of time it took to charge it did warm up a bit.This is a new DX7.Ibought a DX6i a year ago and had 1 or  3 problems which may have been due to using it with a straight aerial.I bought a secondhand DX7 and Ive had a couple of problems recently.I did a brilliant deal with Galaxy on a new Dx7SE, which I am very happy with.One of the reasons to change and the main reason really is that being secondhand I was always writing over the previous owners settings and worried that I might miss something to the detriment of a model.Im still trying to learn all the settings and basic for me is best,so now Im happy  The end

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us