Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

The new ARTF WOT4

The new ARTF WOT4

First look...... - 28/9/09

NigelH05/10/2009 13:40:45
891 forum posts
1 photos
For a start off, the WOT 4 is a classic beyond just about anything else.

And ...

* an ARF version makes it available to a much wider audience.

* it's not a trainer.  It's a sports model.

* that wing should, and apparently does, give good low speed handling benefits.

* looks are a personal choice.  I really like the trim.  IMHO, the Sebart Shark looks strange, so I'll not buy one.

* the Shark costs maybe £40 more.

There's nothing wrong with these guys enthusing about the WOT 4 ARF or anything else for that matter.

TonyS05/10/2009 14:00:10
1145 forum posts
323 photos
Ouch!
I was only asking a pretty innocent question I thought....

I never said there was anything wrong with anyone enthusing about it - sorry if you mis-read my comments.
It just doesn't seem to me (and I did emphasise this)  to be  a particularly 'special' looking plane.
Each to their own I've always said and no-one should be criticised for having a passion for anything (personally I like Kylie Minogue but I'm sure that others would express different views  
Graeme Evans05/10/2009 14:04:44
36 forum posts
7 photos
I think you just about have it. 

It's NOT about the looks.

(though I think it looks fine, sure it's quite basic looking, but hey, its for flying not looking)
Graeme Evans05/10/2009 14:07:39
36 forum posts
7 photos
PS: you question is entirely valid - we're just trying to answer it
TonyS05/10/2009 14:23:04
1145 forum posts
323 photos
Thanks Graeme,
I guess it's like a Morris Minor - a classic but not to everyone's tastes.
It must fly well though, it's been going for donkey's years I gather.

Graeme Evans05/10/2009 14:33:09
36 forum posts
7 photos
I'd say more like an old Mini, but yeah.
Graeme Evans05/10/2009 14:40:19
36 forum posts
7 photos
1977 it came out - 32 Years ago! 
TonyS05/10/2009 14:56:02
1145 forum posts
323 photos
Nearly as old as me - does that make me a Classic....
Mick Turner05/10/2009 17:17:23
8 forum posts
Hi...Ive just finished building the Wot 4 RTF.....Very nice model to build and a reasonable colour instruction manual. Couple of issues I found with the build

1, wheel bolts are not the best ive seen because the bolt is not threaded all the way and the shoulder is too long leaving the wheels to flop about a bit so i changed it to a M4 bolt and was able to tighten the bolt to the leg.

2,The threaded bar which goes through the rudder for the close loop system is very small indeed and could have done with a more substantial one as i think in time its going to wear a hole and become loose.

3, Instruction manual although good quality was not very clear on a couple of issue (I.E) when measuring where to put the engine it doesnt actualy show you in detail where to measure from, Most of us would automaticaly know but to a new to the hobby person may not know and struggle slightly with this.

4 Only a small gripe...once you join the wing I think a small piece of white sticky  back covering would have been nice to cover where the join is just to finish it off nicely.

All these issues are small and not that important realy but as ive built one I thought its worth mentioning,
On a scale of 10 i would give it 8-9 out of 10 its very pretty and I stuck a ASP 61 on the nose and still got it to balance without added weight.
Nice model ,nice to build and lets hope it flies as well as it looks.
DAVID CLIFFORD05/10/2009 19:07:58
289 forum posts
103 photos

Hi Mick,
If you have read my build blog you will see i have had some gripes with this plane as well one of them being the pull pull system for the rudder which i replaced with a snake.
The instruction manual also forgets to tell you to put the support bar in for the elevator as well and to less experienced modelers this could also cause issues.
I used a piece of white insulating tape over the wings as i also felt this was an area that needed attention.

TonyS, my, my, my did you kick the proverbial wasps nest. I have never had a Wot 4 before but am fully aware of the pedegree of this series of models and have seen many incarnations and copies and have seen the enthusiasm with which the modelers and fliers show towards them.
I dont t think it is an ugly model, it most certainly is not a trainer, that is what the WOT TRAINER is for which is another good ARTF version. Have a look at some of the vids posted around, youtube etc follow our links (mine and graemes) Graemes are better and longer.

D
Mick Turner05/10/2009 19:25:50
8 forum posts
Hiya David yes i did read it and it seems we have common issues  but i have to admit I built this for someone else who bought this under my advisement,personaly wot 4 isn't my cup of tea although they do make a good winter hack. Im the one person in my club that isnt that fond of wot 4's and its only because ive had a couple many yrs ago and  decided that yes its a good plane but there are far more interesting models out there for the money and i do like to try out different planes. The wot 4 is a good model but in my opinion its very over-rated and because so many people have them its naturaly going to be popular for newcommers to the hobby. I dont own a wot 4 anymore but I will be the test pilot for this one and reserve judgement.
I dont think it matters what model you buy these days when it comes to good quality ARTF's they all will have something about them we dont like whether its the build or the flying.
I think the model would have benefitted from a servo being mounted at the back as an option for the rudder thus allowing bigger engines to be fitted and this would help balance from a larger engine.
Anyway Mr Foss has a lot more money than i do from his achievments in the industry so he must be doing it right and good luck to him...lol
Acrowot006/10/2009 08:14:04
7 forum posts
5 photos
Don't think about it Peter!  Put the O.S. 55AX in it.
Phil Claridge06/10/2009 08:26:16
1924 forum posts
32 photos
my opinion is the shark is beutiful but delicate, wot for is tough old boot, but will fly long after shark is rekitted
Mike Phillips06/10/2009 09:10:05
134 forum posts
Hi

Can it be converted to take electric power??

Mike 
DAVID CLIFFORD06/10/2009 09:33:12
289 forum posts
103 photos

Hi Mike,

Follow this LINK and e-mail a chap called Ian.
He has one of these and is going to build it electric, maybe he can help.
D
Mike Phillips06/10/2009 09:35:23
134 forum posts
Thanks David

Mike 
David Ashby - Moderator06/10/2009 09:37:32
10930 forum posts
1681 photos
612 articles
Mike, the model hasn't been designed for electric power per se so any conversion is just that in the true sense. Not impossible but the big decision would be whether to remove the wing to change the battery or whether to cut/fit a battery hatch on top or on the underside.
NigelH06/10/2009 09:39:56
891 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Mike Phillips on 06/10/2009 09:10:05:
Hi

Can it be converted to take electric power??

Mike 

Hi Mike, sure it can.  The trick though, with electric flight, is matching the components with each other and with the model.  If you do it right, you'll be really pleased with it.  If you don't, components could fail or it may not fly as you wanted it to.  Give these guys a call, tell them that you're talking about a WOT 4 and how you want to fly it and they will no doubt be able to advise on the best power system.  I've used them several times now and they're really good,  I don't work for them or know them in any way besides being a very satisfied customer. www.falconsrcs.com

Mike Phillips06/10/2009 09:41:46
134 forum posts
Thanks David and Nigel

Mike 
TonyS06/10/2009 10:03:43
1145 forum posts
323 photos
David C,
You're quite right about the proverbial wasps nest, but I've always managed to be controversial even when I didn't mean to be.
Although (and please people don't get hot under the collar about this) I still think its a very basic looking model, it clearly has a strong following - this is what prompted my question in the first place.... 
Ho hum... 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us