Articles

The new ARTF WOT4

The new ARTF WOT4

First look...... - 28/9/09

stuart charlton06/10/2009 12:04:28
2 forum posts
4 photos
Hi david ashby  ,
I would like too say hallo ,as im a new member to rcme ,and to also say hallo too everyone
On this form ,some of the menbers now me on this form as i fly with them and are good mate,s  david c  and nigel ,
I have had wot 4,s for years now and love them ,there are so many aircraft out there these
days too pick ,i did have the blackhorse twister which i loved too death and would put it under the wot 4 for flying as i could do all wot the wot 4  does to a limit .
Also i would say that the sebart shark looks great and i bet it flys good as well  ,must get my hands on one too fly one day .
all the best  stuart
David Ashby - Moderator06/10/2009 12:20:01
11033 forum posts
1723 photos
617 articles
Hi Stuart, welcome aboard, nice to see you
Mike Phillips06/10/2009 21:14:38
134 forum posts
For David Clifford

Hi David i took your advice and contacted Ian Taylor  and got some good advice from him.

so many thanks

Like your videos on You Tube 

Regards 

Mike 
Peter Currey06/10/2009 21:23:10
51 forum posts
Hi Acrowat0, Thanks for your comment. I shall go for the 55AX. The way things are at present, it could be a while before I get mine put together. Something to look forward to !!
Cheers, Peter
Mike Phillips07/10/2009 14:48:53
134 forum posts
Hi Just considering engine mounts for electric conversion

could someone tell me the distance from the firewall to the cowl opening

Thanks

Mike 
DAVID CLIFFORD07/10/2009 16:52:57
289 forum posts
103 photos

Mike, will look and let u know thanx for the compliment

D the humble

DAVID CLIFFORD07/10/2009 19:45:51
289 forum posts
103 photos

Mike,
My instructions say the prop plate should be 100mm/10cm from the rear of the mount.

D
DAVID CLIFFORD07/10/2009 19:47:01
289 forum posts
103 photos

with the cowel in place you should be pretty close to the prop with just enough room.

D
Mike Phillips07/10/2009 19:52:45
134 forum posts
Many thanks David

The more I look into this model the keener I get

Was planning to get it later on but not sure I have the patience to wait!!
however I get a lot of fun researching it all 

Bi for now 

Mike 

Mike Phillips07/10/2009 19:52:46
134 forum posts
Many thanks David

The more I look into this model the keener I get

Was planning to get it later on but not sure I have the patience to wait!!
however I get a lot of fun researching it all 

Bi for now 

Mike 

Glyn R07/10/2009 23:10:48
443 forum posts
179 photos
There is a downloadable plan for electric conversion on the Chris Foss Website.
Stephen Grigg07/10/2009 23:33:39
8691 forum posts
1128 photos
Im probsably going to retire my Super \air,I think the weather has left it weak at the knees since it was in the rape,ies thids model a progresion or regresion
Mike Phillips08/10/2009 08:00:59
134 forum posts
Thanks Glynn  have downloaded it - and studying it

Mike 
Acrowot008/10/2009 08:33:10
7 forum posts
5 photos
Far better than the Super Air Stephen
Mike Phillips09/10/2009 08:26:31
134 forum posts
Thanks for all the assistance - bought one yesterday and construction is underway.

Regards

Mike 
DAVID CLIFFORD09/10/2009 10:55:24
289 forum posts
103 photos

Nice one Mike,
Would like to know how it goes with the electric conversion and how you get around the battery instalation issue. Some pics please if poss.

Steven, I think this is a matter of personal prefferance. You wont want to fly anything else once you get the Texan airborne anyway mate.

I have been a scale man for a long time but i love this plane. it does everything you ask and comes back for more. The Black Horse "air" series are great and tested planes, many people swear by them, in fact Stuart was swearing just yesterday as he stuffed a brand new one into the pond after losing radio.

Edited By DAVID CLIFFORD on 09/10/2009 10:56:00

Peter Jenkins11/10/2009 23:06:40
1624 forum posts
305 photos
I was flying a Kyosho Oxalys until my thumbs got the better of the aircraft!  Since the Oxalys is built to fly and is quite delicate in places, I decided that I'd add so much weight with a repair and probably end up with a bent fuselage so looked around for a replacement and saw the ARTF Wot 4.  The price was tempting and, when it arrived in my local model shop, raced down to pick one up.  It goes together very easily.  I think mine had a slight problem with the tail wheel wire in that it was too short for the wheel and the collet - despite lots of lock tite I lost the tailwheel on the third flight.  I have to commend the substantial cowling moulding - so much thicker than almost any other fibreglass cowl that has come my way.  The first flight was uneventful even though it was a gusty day.  Interestingly, it need quite a bit of up elevator trim and a tweak on the ailerons.  On the low rates recommended it felt very sluggish but full rates are much better although I think I'll need to add a bit more movement.  In comparison to the Oxalys (poor comparison I know) it feels much less like a thoroughbred but it does everything you want.  I think I'll more the CG aft from the stated value - which incidentally it balanced on by just moving the battery up to the forward bulkhead.  I think I'll also add some more decoration to the underside of the wing to help in orientation for when things get hectic!  I have found that the rudder has tremendous authority and generates tremendous roll from knife edge - i.e. from wings vertical, application of rudder will roll her wings level unless you feed in anti-rudder aileron - interesting!  All in all, especially for £89.99, it is exceptionally good value, flies extremely well and looks pretty good considering how long ago it was designed. 
Mark Taylor 113/10/2009 08:39:21
4 forum posts
Hi everybody, 
I'm new to this forum and new to r/c flying.  I bought a Wot 4 rtf kit last week and hope to maiden this weekend.  I have one question to the guys that have recently built one about the aileron servo connections.  When you take your wing off for transport/storage do you have to unplug yours from the receiver?  As I said, I am new to r/c flying but it just doesn't seem right to unplug/plug them into the receiver each time and it would have been better if the extensions remained in the receiver permanently and just unplug the extension from the servo lead instead but my servo leads do not reach the exit hole in the wing.  Are yours the same?  Is it okay to keep plugging/unplugging from the receiver?  Have I done something wrong?  
Thanks in advance for any help,
Mark  
David Ashby - Moderator13/10/2009 08:44:13
11033 forum posts
1723 photos
617 articles
Hi Mark and welcome - a very good point.

It's sensible to have an extension lead in the receiver so, as you say, that way you're not stressing the receiver connection direct by continually plugging and unplugging - just connect and disconnect the extensions when taking the wing off. You may find that, with the Rx buried in foam or just a bit fiddly to get to, that this is more practical too.

Best to plug the ailerons into channels 1 and 6 (Futaba), enable flapperon, so you can then  independently adjust them at the Tx.  

Edited By David Ashby - RCME moderator on 13/10/2009 08:45:26

DAVID CLIFFORD13/10/2009 08:55:25
289 forum posts
103 photos

Hi Mark and welcome,

First you will need to plug extension leads to the servos and secure them using thread or small cable ties or something similar. you can buy holders for this as well.
You will then need a y lead or if you are using an AR500 2.4 Rx you can put two short extensions into each aileron plug, Personally a short Y lead is more practical.
Bury the Rx in foam and just leave the y lead accessible.

Click here to see what i mean.
You can get these from any good model shop.

again welcome.
D

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!