Articles

The new ARTF WOT4

The new ARTF WOT4

First look...... - 28/9/09

DAVID CLIFFORD20/10/2009 17:01:57
289 forum posts
103 photos

Hi Bob and welcome,
I placed a build thread HERE (click this link) the model is very stable but capable of aerobatic flying with a flat wing.
It has good quality materials and build quality is also high as you expect from a chris foss designed plane. And the price is pretty good too for what you get.
The WOT Trainer is as it says but with a desent engine in it its capable of good rolls and loops. A collegue has one at our club and it has gone through some serious landings and come out smiling.
It depends on your flying experience i suppose get some experience down at your local club if you are new to the hobby, there will always be plenty of advice and maybe someone will have the plane you are interested in as well so you can get some first hand experience.

P.S - Read the newbie stuff Timbo mentioned then you wont get into trouble like i did.

All the best

David
weasel20/10/2009 21:40:49
381 forum posts
6 photos

hello david, thanks for your reply on the fitting of the sc70fs in the wot4. i got the kit this morning.  and placed the engine against the bulk head, and if fitted on the side it sticks out quiet a lot and looks well out of place. . would it be better to fit the engine inverted or or straight up.  any advice would be greatly apprieciated.  cheers  weasel..........
Mark Taylor 120/10/2009 22:44:29
4 forum posts
Hi guys, 
Wonder if you can help me, again?  I've built my Wot 4 and run a tank of fuel through it and everything was fine but somebody has told me I may have fitted the fuel tank incorrectly.  They believe the tank should be pushed through the hole in the bulkhead so that it holds the tank in place.  Firstly, it doesn't fit through this hole and secondly it does not mention/show this in the manuel.  I had it secured with foam underneath and then the battery pack and receiver, also covered in foam, left no room for it to move around.  What is the correct way?  
Thanks in advance and again sorry if these are stupid questions but this is my first build.  
Mark  
Tim Mackey20/10/2009 23:40:06
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
It doesnt matter either way Mark... as long as the tank is secure yet cushioned in foam or similar so it cant move /revolve, and its centre line is roughly level with the carby needle valve, your good to go.
PS there are no stupid questions...only answers

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 20/10/2009 23:40:37

DAVID CLIFFORD20/10/2009 23:59:13
289 forum posts
103 photos

Hi Mark, mine doesn't fit through the bulkhead either. it is just secured with foam all round and the radio gear and all the foam that goes with that stops it from slipping out. its well secure mate and no question is stupid! we will help if we can and if you cant get an answer on here then there is probably no answer to be had or someone will find it.
Weasel, From my own personal experience my SC 70 ran just as well inverted as upright. From what many people have said and from what i have overheard people like to fit engines upright.
I cant really give you specifics on this model with this engine as i have a 2 stroke fitted to mine. If it was me i would fit it upright if this does not take away to much of the cowel.
Sorry i cant be more specific, if i can help any more give me a shout.

D

P.S 200 posts yeah me!

Edited By DAVID CLIFFORD on 20/10/2009 23:59:45

Mark Taylor 121/10/2009 07:59:21
4 forum posts
Thanks David.  Much appreciated. 
Acrowot021/10/2009 08:59:56
7 forum posts
5 photos
I have found that 4 stokes are fine inverted, but 2 strokes can be a pain to start inverted.
weasel21/10/2009 11:19:30
381 forum posts
6 photos

help again please. i cant decied on fitting the sc70fs.. engine in the upright or inverted position. has anyone fitted this type of engine to the wot4?. or should i just fit a smaller 2stroke, in the side position and be done with it. 

a confused weasel.............
Bruce Richards21/10/2009 13:14:16
1849 forum posts
A member of my club used to have a WOT4 with a 70FS and it was side mounted. He flew it at every session on it flew very well in that configuration.
weasel21/10/2009 13:35:08
381 forum posts
6 photos

thanks bruce, i will fire the engine, in side mounted. it just sticks out a long way. and looks out of place.. one thing is you cant see the engine at 50ft. its not as if it is a scale aircraft...  will keep you posted on the progress......

cheers weasel................
Tim Mackey21/10/2009 13:38:56
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Side mounted gets my vote too. I had several Wottys and Acrowots in times gone by, and they all bar one had side mounted 4 strokes. My current WOT4 has a radial.
( Its electric
Mike Phillips21/10/2009 13:53:18
134 forum posts
Hi

I have finished my electrical conversion but bit worried about the weight

With a 4S 4000  ( Chris Foss recommends 3700) and ballast to get the C of G of 82mm from front of wing  it weighs 2.56 kg or   or 2.36 kg with  a 1750 4S

Fellow fliers reckon this is too heavy

Any comments would be welcome

Thanks

Mike 
NigelH21/10/2009 14:51:29
891 forum posts
1 photos
Suggested weight is 2.2Kg so you're a little high with the larger pack.  Overall performance depends on how many watts the system produces.  With this model you will need about 100 watts per pound.  2.56kg is about 5.6 pounds so you need about 560 watts for sporty action.  However, added weight will make it less comfortable to land, etc, as it will need to fly faster to keep it airborne.

I suspect that a 1750 is not going to get you much flying time.

Bruce Richards21/10/2009 15:23:11
1849 forum posts
My electric wot4 weighs 2.2Kg and was built really light. It did have 6s2400mah battery. Is yours the ARTF one or from a kit?
Mike Phillips21/10/2009 15:35:22
134 forum posts

Thanks Nigel   some head scratching to do as a bit stumped!!

Bruce- Thanks for your reply Its the Ripmax ARTF version  I rang Chris Foss to see if there would be any problems in converting it and the answer was no. So I used the method on his siteI   I am now puzzling how to make it lighter 

Mike 

NigelH21/10/2009 15:50:00
891 forum posts
1 photos
Be extra sure that everything is where it can be to reduce the need for the ballast.  Even a small amount of movement can make a big difference to how much weight is needed.

Bruce Richards21/10/2009 16:46:28
1849 forum posts
Mike, on my Wot4 the lipos are right up against the firewall. Can you get yours further forward to help reduce the ballast. I have no ballast on mine.
Mike Phillips21/10/2009 17:10:10
134 forum posts
Thanks Bruce

I did put an inch of foam in front to the lipo for shock absorbing reasons  I will try with it flush to the firewall.. 

apart form using a snake to control the rudder I have built it as instructed ( possibly I could use a lighter snake).  and i could move the two servos into the battery compartment in front of the c of g

Thanks for your help

I will keep you posted    Its nice to know it can be done

Mike 
Tim Mackey21/10/2009 17:11:03
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
I did the same with mine...I made a bracket under the motor mount and poked the cells through there, along with the ESC. It still came out as porker ( ex IC and repaired many times by previous owners )
Flew well though...the WOT4 wing has bags of lift.
Mike Phillips21/10/2009 17:11:37
134 forum posts
Hi Bruce

many thanks    I have taken off the sponge in front of the lipo  

and this has reduce the ballast considerably  so many thanks

Mike 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us