Forum sponsored by CML

Lady Eowyn

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Peedle03/11/2009 21:43:18
26 forum posts
1 photos
Hi all, this is my first post.

I'm slowly building Peter's Lady Eowyn from 1985. It looks like a very attractive aircraft and I'm planning to put an OS FS 30 in it.

Does anyone have any memories of building this, and if so, is there anything that I should look out for in particular?

One thing in particular; Peter mentioned in the magazine article that the washout he includ4ed might not have been necessary, or indeed a good idea. Can anyone comment?

Thanks for the help,

John
Peter Miller17/11/2009 08:53:52
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles
The wash out is probably not essential as there is not much taper on the tip really. However it can't hurt.

Just remember to add ply plates under the wing hold down bolt heads. so that they don't pull thought the trailing edge.

If you leave them out you will find that the fuselage creates a circle of splinters about 15 feet in diameter. The wing floats down very gently.

Peter Allanson built a much larger version and loved her.
Phil Wood.17/11/2009 10:11:55
3638 forum posts
27 photos
Hi John, if you post an introduction here The Newbie Threads  you'll get the official welcome and greetings off several of the members. 
I've checked the dates and don't think you've already done one but it helps to get a better response.

Phil. (Polyphilla)
John Peedle25/07/2010 20:11:34
26 forum posts
1 photos
Well, I finally finshed the build last week and the maiden flight was Saturday. A fair bit of aileron trim required - it was suggested that it needs some side thrust. Loops were very nice, but rolls were extremely slow. The wind wasn't particularly light but the model coped very well.

So, some additional work to do, but on the whole I am very pleased. The OS FS30 pottered around the sky very sucessfully. Unfortunately I am not allowed to take pictures at our flying field, but here she is on the garage floor.

Now I know she flys, I will spend some additional time adding some trim to improve looks and visibility.

Stephen Grigg26/07/2010 00:34:35
8691 forum posts
1128 photos
Ita a pity you cant take photos at your flying field John ,the Lady would look a stunner in the air.I love the smaller 4 strokes they seem to be the best.Ive a couple of OS 26 and an OS 30,but my OS 40 dont run as well.Is you model yellow underneath,clean floor by the way
Peter Miller26/07/2010 08:40:16
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles
THat is great! I always like to hear of another happy builder.

The .30 would be a nice power unit. Mine was first powered by an HP 25 VT and I know that the OS will have more power than that.

What a strange rule, that you can't take pictures on the flying site. Is it so easily identifiable and would it still  be when  taking pictures of a model in the air?
John Peedle26/07/2010 15:55:02
26 forum posts
1 photos
Peter,

Cameras are forbidden on the site so any pictures that could in any way be identified would be rather embarassing . We fly at an airfield attached to a secure establishment.

Have you any comments over the slow roll rate? I increased the aileron movement to about 3/8" from your 1/4" but to no apparent difference.

I love the lines of the fuselage - from the side she is very attractive. This is definitely a keeper! (I have used a plywood plate as a washer for the wing mounting bolts so that unfortunate event is avoided). I used Profilm for covering to avoid a complex paint job as that is somewhat beyond my skills.

Stephen,

Yes she is yellow underneath for both wings and fuselage - you can just see the colour on the leading edge of the wing. I plan to add some black squares to give a black/yellow chequered effect stripe on the lower surface of each wing, as orientation at a height is a challenge!.

John
Stephen Grigg26/07/2010 18:06:24
8691 forum posts
1128 photos
The blue and yellow go well together,I think and orientation is always a challenge
Peter Miller26/07/2010 18:42:34
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles
IT is a very long time since I built her. I seem to remember that she was a bit slow on the roll.

This is probably why I fitted a Super Tigre .25 that really made her perform.

You might improve the roll rate by diving to pick up speed before rolling.
John Peedle26/07/2010 20:52:59
26 forum posts
1 photos
I would expect that the OS 30 is at least as powerful as your Super Tiger, but I will try a dive first.

Interestingly, when we tried to make her stall, she behaved like a true lady - completely refused to misbehave. I was a bit concerned since the wing tips had naturally formed what seemed to be a marked wash-in outboard of the last rib. I was concerned about tip stalls, but nothing untoward was forthcoming. The COG is slightly forward (perhaps 5mm) of the position on the plan which might be contributing to that.

Inverted flight needs a little down elevator, but other than that is unremarkable.

I think I will replace the balsa cowl with a glassfibre one - while I am happy with the finish, something managed to move a bit during contruction and it is not quite how I had planned. Does anyone know a good source of extruded ploystyrene (aka pink foam) blocks about 6" cubed?
Peter Miller27/07/2010 07:42:43
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles
If you did incorporate the washout, that will give you the very safe stall characteristics. My designs with the elliptical wings such as harmony use 2 degrees washout and the they will not drop a wing tip.

The Super Tigre 25 was a very powerful engine for its size, added to that the American friend who gave it to me had done a "haemorrhoid " job on the silencer which increased the power and noise. Definitely more powerful the the OS FS30.

The wing set up of a flat bottomed wing at true 0 degrees incidence always works juts like a symmetrical section and so Inverted neeeds very little down.

I think I still have my original wing. I must go an have a look. I think I kept it when I had a huige bonfire because it has some nice painting on it.
John Peedle22/08/2010 19:33:23
26 forum posts
1 photos
Hi Peter,

Did you manage to find your original wing?

The slow roll rate is actually turning out to be a good thing - it forces me to improve my elevator control I am also learning more about co-ordinated turns as she flies better that way. Great fun to fly.

Does anyone know a good source of pink of blue foam? I really want to make a start on the new cowl.

I have wondered about dropping my Evolution 36 in to see what more power behaves like, but she potters around so well on the FS30 that I'm not sure. The sound is good too!
Stephen Grigg22/08/2010 19:54:46
8691 forum posts
1128 photos
I think models like this look so good and sound just right with a small 4 stroke
Peter Miller23/08/2010 09:00:24
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles
I must have a look for the wing this morning. My meory makes a seive look positively watertight.

I think a .36 would be far, far too powerful. a good .25 would be more than enough.
Peter Miller24/08/2010 18:41:10
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles
I found the wing.

Covered with Solartex and sprayed with car paints followed by hand painting.
John Peedle25/08/2010 12:03:03
26 forum posts
1 photos
Peter,

Could you possibly take a photo of the tip of the wing, facing into the centre, so that I can see how your tip cross-section profile came out?

I have a copy of the magazine article from 1985, but the photos in that don't do your artwork justice - very pretty.
Peter Miller25/08/2010 18:23:31
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

Is this what you wanted.

John Peedle25/08/2010 18:28:09
26 forum posts
1 photos
Perfect - thanks.

I can see where I went wrong - your lower main spar is flatter than mine and the upper spar curves down more. I joined mine with virtaully an equal bend so my leading edge of the tip is higher.

It doesn't seem to harm the flying characteristics though so I guess I am OK.
Peter Miller25/08/2010 19:24:37
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles
No. it would not make any noticeable difference, purely cosmetic really. I suppose it might make a fractional difference to the effective dihedral but not as much as a fractional building error.
John Peedle31/05/2011 21:34:05
26 forum posts
1 photos
I've replaced the FS30 now with an SC32 and the difference in staggering - a completely different aircraft! She flies really well in strong winds, which is just as well since 20+mph winds is all we've had for weeks.

Still haven't got to the new cowl yet.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us