By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

HELP wich way doI go?

What to buy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
andy watson10/12/2009 22:04:52
1942 forum posts
20 photos
A major advantage of electric is that it is quite possible, to go to any flying field with just model and transmitter, none of the paraphernalia that ic models need. No fuel bottle, pumps, glow leads, Pb battery, or Nicad for starter................

This argument really annoys me.  We are assuming you are having a single flight.  Well I can fuel up at home in exactly the same way as an electric flier and all I need is a finger guard to fly- and I know people that start their engines with bare hands.  That's assuming an on board glow, but a glow start will easily fit into a pair of jeans.  In my experience electric fliers bring far more equipment that is far more expensive than an IC flier.

Both have pros and cons, but lets not over egg the arguments.
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator10/12/2009 22:20:49
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Hi,

the Flair Pup will take a 40-60 4stroke. You don't want to overpower a nice bipe - but then again you don't have to fly everywhere at full throttle - and a little spare power "in hand" for the odd emergency is always welcome

I would suggest a Saito 50 or 56, with a slight preference for the 56 myself.

BEB
Erfolg11/12/2009 10:49:11
11857 forum posts
1360 photos
Andy

I do not know who you fly with, they are very different to the guys I fly with.

Some turn up with a cardboard box, the one the model came in. In there is the transmitter, model and spare batteries.

I of course come fully equipped, my transmitter box, in which my transmitter is on one side the other may have a pair of pliers, if the second transmitter is at home. Then of course I carry my model. Batteries and spare models are left in the car till needed.

None of us has very costly support gear. Now that Lipos are cheap, if you use "Flightpower" etc. The power source is favourably comparable with Glowfuel.

This is about a quarter of what I needed immediately for IC. No electric starter, power panel, battery to power electrics, can of fuel with pump.

But with either form of power, I have always wanted a comprehensive set of necessary equipment.

Ah, I forgot one important piece of equipment, my folding stool, in its bag over one shoulder, when flying electric. Far more relaxing.

There is nothing wrong at all with IC. Other than the restrictions on when you may fly in the area I live in, and the costly and bulky support gear. But that really suits some people.

Erfolg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Subscribe now
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!