Maricardo - The plan build article

by Paul Strawson - 4/12/09

Maricardo

Maricardo

Alex Whittaker salutes a classic - 21/9/10

rathers16/12/2009 18:52:43
4 forum posts
4 photos

I have built 4 Maricardos following the article in 2004 and I''m attaching a pic of my latest. It is an excellent all round plane for a club flyer like myself but will also perform great aerobatics as demonstrated by our club examiner Shane Harding who flew a perfect rolling circle when he test flew it for me. My version has an OS 46 AX, bigger tank, diferential aileron throws and 4 degree side thrust.

However, the plan leaves a lot to be desired and conflicts with the article. The former dimensions are wrong, the fuselage does not match the modified wing and you cannot buid the cockpit/tank bay from the plan but have to make it up as you go along. There are a number of other minor errors. Nothing that an experienced modeller cannot fix but it is a pity that the plan was not been modified after I spoke to Graham Ashby soon after it was printed.

For this latest version I had Belair produce a laser cut parts set ( dimensions modified) which at £70 was pretty good value although ther were a couple of minor errors.

I''m sorry to seem to be  carping but this might help other builders and the plane is certainly worth the effort.

Ken Rathborne

A.A. Barry19/12/2009 05:04:41
1922 forum posts
186 photos
I came across the Maricardo, in a model mag in the mid 70's, not sure whiich one now, (model aicraft or english RCM), not sure wether it was a free plan, but it was certaintly good flyer, I have threatened myself to do another, but with so many other projects, it possibly won't happen
Yea, good to see it reinvented
A.A Barry
Hamish19/12/2009 09:20:48
642 forum posts
47 photos
I have a Maricardo which will be about 17 years old.  I purchased it from Marionville Models in Edinburgh and I understood it was a model designed and produced by Carlos the shop owner.  Is this the same model?

My model looked very similar to your photograph when it was in one piece.  Unfortunately I had an indecent that caused a considerable amount of damage.    The wing was broken in half and I have cut the  former for the ribs as I will be making a built up wing rather than a foam, purely as I have found it easy to do and as I have no knowledge of foam.

Its third down the line on my renovation projects and once complete will post a photo for comparison.  I would love to achieve the standard of your model but my skills are limited. 

Alistair Taylor22/12/2009 15:14:37
597 forum posts
11 photos
Hi

I'm building a Maricardo at the moment (or rather, I have been building one on and off for about three years).

Ken, could you clarify what the drawing errors are, cos I have hit one or two snags during the building process (besides daughter being born, moving house, F-in-law passing away), and would love a heas up before I go any further and end up with a passable welsh dresser instead of a flying model...

cheers

AlistairT
Mick Cayton23/12/2009 09:17:52
11 forum posts
I built one of these back in 1977 or 78. It was my first "big" model powered by an Enya 40. I built it as per plan and flew it on three channel - rudder, elevator, motor - with the dihedral, of course. Radio was very expensive then - I had just built the RCM&E proportional gear (when the "E" in RCM&E meant electronics, rather than electric) and could only afford three servos.

I remember it flew very well on three channels and was a major step up for me from the 1.5 - 2.5cc R/C models I was flying at the time. I am tempted to try one with an Irvine 53 - I know it will be a great flyer.

Mick.
Barry Bridgens26/12/2009 18:20:49
14 forum posts
I am building a Maricardo just now. The fuselage, tail and fin are all finished. The wing is another matter. It is very difficult to build it straight, my plan is to assemble the ribs onto the spars, then pin the T/E onto the board and with the spars supported glue the ribs to the T/E. Then sheet the rear section while still pinned to the board, then do the same with the L/E. The whole wing is very flimsy till you get the sheeting on. I would be interested to hear of any other build sequences.

Barry
fly boy325/11/2010 21:54:59
3529 forum posts
18 photos
HI all,  looking at the Maricardo plan, I see the elevator, rudder, and fin are 1/4 balsa sheet,  Would I gain any thing by building these as built up structures, or leave well alone, and carry on as the designer planned. Having read all the good reviews of this model,it may be a case of strength and a quicker build. ps I may have answered my own question. LoL Thanks FB3
Magnar Schou Olsen27/11/2010 08:41:27
14 forum posts
28 photos
Here is some pics of my Maricardo,
I changed the fuselage so it looks a bit like a Sukhoi.
Tailplane, fin, wing and engine are still in their original posisions as per, Maricardo plans. 
fly boy327/11/2010 19:24:38
3529 forum posts
18 photos
Hello Magnar, thanks for answering my query on the Maricardo, also the photos were great and very helpfull.  I do like the changes you have made to the model, it does look very much the Sukhoi.  Your flying field also looks very nice indeed.  What engine have you fitted to the model.?  Cheers FB3
Magnar Schou Olsen28/11/2010 08:52:02
14 forum posts
28 photos
Thanks.
The engine is a Just Engines 57. Cowling is from a Great Planes Yak54. Canopy a Great Planes SU-31, and the landing gear from Great Planes U-Can-Do 60.
I bought these parts before i started the building, so i could alter the fuselage to fit the parts.

fly boy328/11/2010 11:00:04
3529 forum posts
18 photos
So thats how its done.  Nice one Magnar,  Cheers
fly boy313/12/2010 19:55:40
3529 forum posts
18 photos
Hi all,Maricardo build requires nose ring.  Never encounted one before.Do I fit it to prop shaft with small interior diameter, then build balsa cowl around it, then open out interior diam. to plan size .Cheers
kc14/12/2010 12:00:28
6048 forum posts
169 photos
The nose ring is usually thin ply , maybe 1/32 so the balsa sides sand away easily down to the ply shape.  It would be easier to make in ply to exact size and glue or double sided tape on another ply  washer to fit the shaft.  Fit a balsa piece in between to allow clearance for prop & spinner. The balsa can later be cut away easily and sanded off.

Edited By kc on 14/12/2010 12:16:29

fly boy314/12/2010 18:30:56
3529 forum posts
18 photos
Hi KC, Thanks for the explanation of the nose ring and the buiding of same.  All is now clear.  Thanks FB3
fly boy308/01/2011 18:59:42
3529 forum posts
18 photos
The Maricardo plan requires 37 inch fus. sides.  My stock balsa is 36 inches. What would be the best way forward ( no 48inch)  Deviate from plan and have the fus  1 inch shorter,? or add the required 1 inch.  Due to glue and strengheners this way may end up in adding unwanted weight to the wrond end of the model.  Would a model with a shorter fus fly just as well. Thanks FB3
r6dan08/01/2011 19:15:18
1110 forum posts
46 photos
I would just scarf the extra on,maybe cut the 36" stuff to 30" and add 7" one one side and maybe do it different on the other side so the joins aren`t in line with each other,if you know what I mean...
kc08/01/2011 19:18:38
6048 forum posts
169 photos
It is usual to join the fus sides over the ply doubler at the front end.  A diagonal joint is usual.  But in this instance the fus is strengthened with 1/4 sq longerons at the back so the sheet could be joined there without too much loss of strength. The front is better because of the ply and 1/4 sheet doubler reinforce over the joint.
48 inch balsa is easily availble from The Balsa Cabin etc.

Edited By kc on 08/01/2011 19:25:39

fly boy308/01/2011 21:26:50
3529 forum posts
18 photos
Thanks r6dan, and kc,It looks like scarfed joints, at the correct position in the fus, and sticking to correct dimensions of the plan is the order of the day. I suppose modellers used to building much larger models than I, have always come across this little problem, and used similar procedures as a matter of fact. Thanks FB3
fly boy315/01/2011 15:56:32
3529 forum posts
18 photos
Hi all.  I have just noticed that The Maricardo has a non type castoring rear wheel as per the plan..  As I nearly always fly from a concrete surfaced run way,would it not be an improvement to try and fit a castoring wheel.  Thanks FB3
Tony Cooper16/01/2011 15:28:35
112 forum posts
13 photos
This is a comercial wheel fitted to my maricardo.
Not a great picture!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us