All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Former Member28/01/2019 19:56:56
724 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Erfolg29/01/2019 12:08:19
11430 forum posts
1216 photos

Phil, you seem to being provocative, saying "I get the impression that electronics are pretty dead" is quick to dismiss. I am making a point with reference an impression to home building of electronic devices, are not popular anymore. The times have changed

There was a time when there was a magazine "Practical Electronics" which I think stopped being produced circa 1990, certainly in the form I remember. I have not seen it on the shelves of Smiths et al, for I do not know how long.

We have seen the demise of Maplin, your local store for bits and pieces, which had switched its emphasis away from a pure electronic retail outlet.

There was a time when various electronic kits were freely available, I built a portable radio, even a Sinclair Amplifier, plus a Waltron Radio, Micron and servos. All these types of activity were in the past.

Can you imagine the outrage we would have had on these pages, of home built equipment? The bile that was uttered about non marked CE Rxs, because they were personal purchases from outside the EU, produced by reputable manufacturers, that is compared to some one in there bedroom with a 500w soldering iron.

From the magazines point of view, it has to be about selling magazines. The vast majority of magazines are aspirational. Hence car magazines full of supercars. The days of Practical Mechanics have gone, they do not inspire. Nor do they reflect what the majority of the population does any more. The car is dumped at the garage, bill paid, and taken home fixed. Women’s magazines come nearest to reality, with recipes for "Smoked Salmon, from a bed of Aberdeanshire hay, with pearls of Kohlrabi essence. Of course we are the same, we often use ARTF models that we have built, after many, many minutes slaving with a screw driver.

Of course there are some people who are interested in home electronics. But in an era of PC Electronic design Software, with logic checking and autorouting for board design, it is very different. Very much more about professional Engineering. Most of us are to old to learn about circuit design, and less inclined to even care.

I do recognise my own wishes also are very niche, no one cares how things work, they are just expected to.

This is the modern world.

eflightray29/01/2019 13:50:52
590 forum posts
128 photos
Posted by dave windymiller on 27/01/2019 19:20:33:

I for one enjoyed the article on Arduinos and the servo exerciser. For many years ive played with PIC chips and as such i ignored alternatives until this article.

I knocked up an arduino to play with servos, flashing LEDs and the like and was amazed how simple the user programming is with all the hard work tucked away in the background. Far simpler than PIC chips and hence less time programming and more balsa bashing.

Why the interest?

I have built a 60 powered mig 142 (1/12 scale) as a test bed for a bigger mig 144 (1/10 scale) but the problem with these canard jets is the rear u/c is so much further back from the models cg which makes take off difficult. As the U/C retracts forwards i plan to try and partially retract the rear electric retracts and then stop them so they are moved forward a couple of inches. This sounds like a job for an arduino circuit to cut and later restore the power to these retacts in flight? Then theres U/C door sequencing, something else to try?

If this works, the same will be tried on the 144 (twin VT80 turbines planned). I know of one in Germany that was destroyed on its maiden due to c/g and u/c positioning causing a violent ground loop on takeoff. I want to try and avoid this!

I look forward to the rest of the series on arduinos.

Dave Windy Miller

20181201_123749.jpg

Mig 144

Edited By dave windymiller on 27/01/2019 19:35:23

Mine is *****ic powered, (as someone seems to dislike the word cheeky )

EDP, P for prop, two internally.

mug (15).jpg

Perhaps an article explaining that electric power isn't the 'devil's work'.

Ray.

Phil Green29/01/2019 14:56:58
1531 forum posts
309 photos

Erf, I'm not going to pursue this any further other than to humbly suggest that you're out of touch, basing your judgement purely on your own lack of interest. I could list and counter every single one of your points - electronics kits for example have never been so numerous and as a tech author yes, I'm aware of the mags - and while Elektor and EPE continue, the demise of the others is largely due to superior and free online alternatives offering vastly increased content that is fresh and with interactive involvement. Maplins aren't really relevant as they were never a serious electronics enthusiasts domain and priced themselves to death. Your statements come over as 'authoritative' but I'm sorry, they dont reflect reality. Regarding your 'outrage over homebrew equipment' I'd humbly suggest avoiding our own forum and the DIY electronics board of RCG as I fear your outrage at the variety of home-brew equipment currently in use could blow a gasket

This is indeed the modern world - you should take a look at it!

Cheers (& out...)
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 29/01/2019 20:47:36

David Ashby - Moderator29/01/2019 18:36:38
10922 forum posts
1680 photos
610 articles

I'm going to call time on this long nine year old thread. 

As I've said before, the editor, Graham always wants to hear reader suggestions and feedback, so please just drop him a line at graham.ashby@mytimemedia.com

In that way your ideas will go straight to the person who commissions articles rather than rely on him finding time to negotiate a long thread. 

General feedback, critique can be made by starting or joining a thread relating to a particular issue.

Thanks again.

David.

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 29/01/2019 18:39:15

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us