Forum sponsored by CML

Ideas for articles in RCM&E

suggestions are always welcome

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Danny Fenton10/09/2010 16:57:21
9289 forum posts
4116 photos
I personally (and appreciate I am probably in the minority) would like to see some interviews of the scale maestros and a good look at how they have done things on their competition models. For example I would love to see how Dave Knott has done his Hurricane undercarriage   There was also an impressive 1/4 scale Hurricane (electric) at this years world F4C championships in Poland how about some details on the models, and not just pics.

How about an interview with Brian Taylor, Mick Reeves, Dave Platt etc etc

Just my thoughts........
Cheers
Danny

Erfolg10/09/2010 17:25:44
11430 forum posts
1216 photos
I have noted that possibly the most popular followed threads, that is ignoring those which generate passion, are the scale builds by committed builders (they will be released, when found to be almost sane). Examples are

Ju 87 by John Carpenter
Dauntless by Jerry bates (I think unfortunately in abeyance)

Many modellers do like the aspirational, this is how to do it. That encompasses build, but with particular emphasis on the finishing.

These specific models are totally at odds with what UK scale orientated modellers actually build (swop that for assemble) ARTF or plan builds. Which within the UK is essentially a Spitfire, followed by Hurricane and then as an aspiration the Lancaster. In my mind boringly predictabe. Our field has a squadron of Spitfires, very few other scale model types, but some.

My contention is there are two positions, what people read about and what they purchase.

Do thoughts like this help in subject selection or may be stimulate what readers believe is interesting?
David perry 110/09/2010 17:42:57
932 forum posts
10 photos
Thats interesting Erfolg.  Following on from your ideas (in my mind) there's a death of what used to be called "cartoon scale" idea.  Recall back in the dark and distant '70s and 80s...we had articles on "quiet bombs", machine guns etc etc.

People seem only too willing to go and blow a tenner on a moulded article these days when a simple home made contrivance would be just as good at 200 feet.  But maybe they dont have the workspace anymore?

I amazed my son last year by using some dowel and black paint nd "bingo" a Lewis gun was born!

I read the full on scale articles too, but have no desire to make such a thing.  But tarting up a plain semi-scale ARTF of kit /plans built...now that works!

Erfolg10/09/2010 18:14:47
11430 forum posts
1216 photos
I was thinking whilst making dinner, so was in pain, then the cat tried to trip me up, letting me know it was also his dinner time.

RCM&E is no different intrinsically than motor magazines. We all like to read and lust after dream machines, be it a Ferrari, Aston Martin etc., but we all drive mass market clones. There is also a genre motor magazine type of how to build a build a faux Lotus 7, restore a Vacel Vega from rust etc.

Yet very few actually indulge in the subject matter that they avidly read about, it is a tiny fraction. In short there is a total disconnect between what we do and what we enjoy reading about.

It could be why most of us do not want to read to much about the latest ARTF, but that is what we actually fly.  If we do read about ARTF, I suspect most enjoy the comparison part, in what areas is one manufacturer is better than the other, which offers the better value for money, how well models fly comparatively ( the 0-60 type comparison). I am sure that my drift is now obvious.

One area where I haveactually managed upset David, unintentionally, is that of trade news. It can be contentious, but also an opportunity for the trade to say what they are doing and why. These areas can be interesting in many and varied respects. Not just XYZ has taken over ABC and we are committed to .....................
Ton van Munsteren10/09/2010 19:27:27
1281 forum posts
3301 photos

I am not a ARF modeller but its fun to let such a model come to life and would make a nice article I think.

Here is the Mig I did for a college modeller.

I can also do interviews with Dutch F4C modellers and show some pics ofn there models if anyone is interrested.

Ton

Edited By Ton van Munsteren on 10/09/2010 19:28:51

00111/09/2010 07:18:51
2212 forum posts
1 photos
Modelling on a budget. (Again).
Nev15/09/2010 14:04:34
592 forum posts
221 photos

How about a simple way of making and securing hatched for battery access etc. when converting, adapting models. I’ve just spent 2 evenings making one and still not finished yet, it’ll work when its finished but have to admit way over the top.

You could follow that with a nice neat servo mount and cover for a wing installation, I’m not keen on having the servo hanging out of the bottom of the wing. Mounting and setting up mechanical retracts properly. Not tried this yet but would like to have a go on some smaller models that are not fitted with them as standard. All useful skills when building from a plan or kit that needs a bit of modernising.

IanN07/07/2011 17:14:53
1675 forum posts
119 photos
How about an intro to slope soaring article? I've never sloped, but three things have recently made me consider it

1/ the Joy of Slope thread on here

2/ my dad, who is in the process of learning via the usual route of ic and electric power, under instruction, has recently had a few slope sessions with a zagi. He rates this as the most productive and useful learning airtime he's getting on the basis that if you're far enough out from the hill there's effectively no ground to crash into: i.e. he's trying more things, and learning more quickly, than by sticking solely to the usual "circuits and bumps"

3/ I spend every summer with an i.c. model permanently in the back of my car, so that I can grab an hours flying whenever possible on the way home from work. However, its not unusual to go a week or more without managing a flight due to wind. The daft thing about this is that my drive home takes me within five mins of a great slope soaring site with an active club, so why aren't I putting a glider in the car aswell to cover both options?

So there you go. How about a mag article along the lines of the "joy of slope" thread, covering the basics for slope newbies and accompanied, naturally , by a suitable free plan (60/70" 3 channel aerobat?) for those of us who don't want a lump of foam or to buy a kit

Tom T07/07/2011 17:19:20
743 forum posts
31 photos
1. I've seen this done in a magazine before its when you give an article about a fake product and then you see how many fouled for it in the next addition. It gave me a really good laugh when i found out and it'll make people want to buy the next copy to find out.

2. Round up of this years shows??

Ill think and then post some more ideas,

P.S I've sent you a PM regarding something.

Tom
Tim Mackey07/07/2011 17:35:15
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
How many fouled for it ?
IanN07/07/2011 17:46:04
1675 forum posts
119 photos
The sum of those who were doing the addition?
Tom T07/07/2011 18:11:42
743 forum posts
31 photos
Tim: Loads! They put in the article that they had people phoning/asking on forum, asking about the product and asking where they could buy one. The product was something like a colour remover that you paint onto the plane and it changes the colour of the covering just by painting this clear liquid over it. (its similar to this but i can't be exact because the magazine is in the workshop and right now i can't get in there )

Ian: Theres a high chance all of them fell for it! I certainly did!

Anyone else see this article and could correct me if i'm wrong?

Thanx

Tom
Pete B - Moderator07/07/2011 18:26:08
7596 forum posts
732 photos
Posted by Tom is RC mad! on 07/07/2011 18:11:42:
Anyone else see this article and could correct me if i'm wrong?

Thanx

Tom

At the risk of being booed out of here, let's start with your post, Tom

I believe you intended to say:

"I've seen this idea before in another magazine. The magazine published an article about a spoof product and then waited to see how many readers fell for it, believing the product was genuine. Readers were keen to buy the next copy of the magazine to find out whether it was a joke."

It might work for the April edition.........

Thanks - and keep the ideas coming!

Pete

Tom T07/07/2011 18:32:01
743 forum posts
31 photos
Yeah that is probably what they meant Pete, The result was in the May addition so the April addition must of help the product.

Thanx

Tom

Edited By Tom is RC mad! on 07/07/2011 18:34:03

Tim Mackey07/07/2011 18:43:15
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Ah the innocence ( or is that ignorance ) of youth, and today's education system eh
Oh and BTW, its EDITION not addition, and HAVE, not of, and Helped , not help Tom
Tom T07/07/2011 19:17:03
743 forum posts
31 photos
WOW! Calm down Tim, LOL Sorry i made a few mistakes . I'm a busy kinda guy at the moment! Haven't got the time for checking everything. I meant held not help and i'm not ignorant! Thank you LOL! Not unless Grammar schools have changed!

Thank you (I think)?

Tom
PatMc07/07/2011 19:51:36
4232 forum posts
523 photos
Posted by Tom is RC mad! on 07/07/2011 19:17:03:
Not unless Grammar schools have changed!

If you attend or attended a grammar school then yes, they have changed.

Tom T07/07/2011 19:59:09
743 forum posts
31 photos
Why have they changed PatMc? I'm still at one.

Tom
Tom T07/07/2011 20:00:57
743 forum posts
31 photos
Accturely this is off topic, please may you send me a PM saying why please PatMc, id love to know.

Tom
Tim Mackey07/07/2011 20:05:15
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Posted by Tom is RC mad! on 07/07/2011 19:17:03:
WOW! Calm down Tim, LOL Sorry i made a few mistakes . I'm a busy kinda guy at the moment! Haven't got the time for checking everything. I meant held not help and i'm not ignorant! Thank you LOL! Not unless Grammar schools have changed!

Thank you (I think)?

Tom

Only yanking your chain Tom - all in fun

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us