Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Removing solar trim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil May19/02/2010 17:00:50
1520 forum posts
154 photos
I made some decals out of solar trim and placed them on the bottom of the wing on my Panic. The problem is I do not like them, is there a way to remove them without damaging the covering underneath?

Edited By Big Phil on 19/02/2010 17:01:07

ken anderson.19/02/2010 17:18:09
8437 forum posts
772 photos
hello phil-what i have found in the past is-if the s/trim is old it will come off and leave the colour back on the model...which is hard to get off.......i would bite the bullet and give it a go...a bit of gentle heat of your heat gun will help-not too hot or it may make matter's worse............

ken anderson.....
Phil May20/02/2010 18:49:29
1520 forum posts
154 photos
Thanks Ken,  tried to remove them today. Looks like it will be more hassle than its worth, so they are staying put.
Eric Bray20/02/2010 19:35:28
6600 forum posts
2 photos
This has been asked before - I put - With difficulty, because the plastic will come off and leave the colour behind!
You could try meths on the colour, assuming the under-surface is fuel-proof. It might work, but no guarantees.
True Build28/10/2016 09:08:58
4 forum posts

I tried methylated sprits (US Denatured Alcohol) that does not work ;(

Tested a small area using superglue de-bonder and that works; however, that is an expensive option.

I've heard that people use acetone to keep there superglue dispensers/thin droppers clean. Not sure what acetone does to solarfilm though.

Any more ideas people?

John Laird28/10/2016 10:53:50
427 forum posts
46 photos

I used to clean my solarfilm models every once in a while with thinners . Did not harm the film but it just might loosen up tthe adhesive on the trim to enable it to pull off. It should also clean up any colour left. WD40 might also do the same.

Alan Hilton28/10/2016 20:03:37
96 forum posts

Cellulose thinners shifts the colour

Alan

True Build12/11/2016 11:32:02
4 forum posts

Thanks Alan.

Cellulose thinners works well.

Richard Wills 212/11/2016 11:58:24
176 forum posts
7 photos

Acetone does work, doesn't seem so harm the film.

Ronaldo12/11/2016 14:39:27
231 forum posts
17 photos

Meths also works for me sometimes, and it's not as harsh as acetone ... but for really hard to remove film adhesive colours, then as others have mentioned earlier, it's cellulose thinners/acetone and plenty of rags or kitchen paper towels that definitely does the job. Doesn't seem to harm the film underneath, may just take a little of the shine off, but not much. Heat first to get the top film off if needed. Just be careful not to get any thinners/acetone on any painted or plastic areas.

Ronaldo

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us