By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

ESC/Li-Po Problem!

Need help!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paddy Fidling13/03/2010 18:32:24
122 forum posts
6 photos
I recently brought
At Sussex-Model-Centre (who are always very helpfull) and the gave us 
 When we got home I put my bullet connecters on, and i am 100% sure i got that bit right, but then after charging the li-po, and connecting it all up, the was a snap, some smoke and the strong smell of burning foam. after a mad rush outside, it was clear the ESC had burnt out. I did my searching and i think that the battery was too powerfull.
I don't really know much about the numbers  but on the web it says the ESC was rated at 13C ( whatever that is ) and the lipo was 20C. Now to me that did not add up, and can anyone help?
Many Thanks
Dusty13/03/2010 18:54:15
1632 forum posts
560 photos
Evening Paddy,
everything is compatiable looking at the links you posted, I can only  assume  :
1. Shorted out
2. reverse polarity
3. Unlikey manufacturer fault
Can you post a picture please?
birdy13/03/2010 19:03:11
1423 forum posts
110 photos
It definitely isn't c rating; C rating is to do with the amount of current a battery can supply in comparison to its capacity. I would agree with Dusty - the battery is fine. That means it is either a user error or the ESC its self. Can we have a piccie, and how was the "snap" at the moment you connected the battery or shortly afterwards?
Wingman13/03/2010 19:04:30
1145 forum posts
405 photos
Hi Paddy,
I've had a look at the SMC listing for your DG1000 - nice aircraft clever drive system.
Firstly, the battery is not too powerful - the 20C part just means that the maximum current it can provide would be 32 amps (it would only do that for 3 minutes).
Secondly according to SMC the plane comes with an 18A (amp) ESC so I think you may be reading distorted or erased writing on the ESC as they are not rated by 'C' and as the ESC comes with the plane it will be well suited to the performance of the drive system.
Thirdly,  as long as you connected the red wire of the battery to the red wire of the plane and the black wire to the black wire then the only reason that the ESC would burn out would be if the motor was trying to turn and something was stopping it. According to the description the propeller will only pop out of the aircraft when the throttle is advanced so if you got the smoke and the prop was still in the aircraft then it can only mean that the aircraft was faulty.
I see that you live in W Sussex so assuming the above I recommend that you take the plane back to SMC for a replacement - take your battery and radio along as well so that the new plane can be tested in the shop.
Good luck!  
Sparks13/03/2010 19:08:12
266 forum posts
55 photos
Sounds like you may have wired the battery to the ESC incorrectly. Are you sure you have got the positive/negative correct?  
The motor is a brushless, so it will have three wires (3 phase) which connect to the ESC. If the motor runs backwards, reverse two of the motor wires to change the phase.  
According to SMC's website the supplied ESC is rated at 18 Amps. This is the maximum recommended current the ESC can handle. ESC's don't have a 'C' rating. 
The 'C' rating of a LiPo, tells you the maximum recommended current you can draw from the battery. In this case 20 x 1600mAh = 32 Amp). The battery was not 'too powerfull' for this application.  It will only supply the current demanded of it - same as your car battery.
I don't think you will get a refund from SMC. Preferably get someone, with electrical knowledge to check over your wiring next time. You can always post a picture on this site to get the OK before plugging in the battery.
Tim Mackey13/03/2010 19:17:09
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
My guess is reversed polarity of ESC to battery - evidenced by the almost instantaneous failure of the ESC and complete burn out. Even if the motor /prop  had stalled within the fuselage cavity, most if not all ESCs these dyas have a thermal cutout which should shut things down if the current gets too high.
Paddy Fidling13/03/2010 19:30:54
122 forum posts
6 photos
Thanks everyone, it has gone back to SMC, and they are trying to do something with it and the manufacturuer.
Maybe it was me and muffing up the battery, so thanks for the advice, I have learned something.
Apologies, there are no piccies as the ESC is buried deep within the beast and so is a nightmare to get to or replace which SMC would have done if they could have to it. Hence it is going to get sent back.
Thanks again.
Wingman13/03/2010 19:33:01
1145 forum posts
405 photos
Hooray for SMC!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

 Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!