Forum sponsored by CML

Wankel engines

does anybody know about them?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil Claridge14/03/2010 09:23:47
1924 forum posts
32 photos
just off to collect a cessna with a gummed up wankel engine,does anyone know much about them ie starting up, tuning or taking them apart. i bought this because i like the odd thingsthat appear in this hobby. i want to get it started and see if ican get plane and engine upstairs again. any help will be much appreciated regards phil
Ultymate14/03/2010 09:43:07
1703 forum posts
62 photos
The critical component (downfall) of the Wankel engine has always been the tip seals on the rotor so much so that the early NSU RO80s came with the allowance of one free engine per customer. Mazda seem to think they have the issue resolved as they have a Wankel engined car on the market although if you do a google you'll find several companies already offering engine rebuilds . I've no experience with the model version at all so good luck Phil, the big attraction is no reciprocating parts hence little or no vibration 
Pete B - Moderator14/03/2010 09:47:41
7655 forum posts
734 photos
Google 'OS Wankel', Phil, you'll get about 52000 responses.........

Pete
Phil Claridge14/03/2010 14:09:50
1924 forum posts
32 photos
cheers lads, i have collected the plane its an old graupner cardinal cessna, it was very grubby and sad looking but a bit of soap and water made her look much better. i was trying to get the prop offand i noticed the engine was turning, so i put some after run oil down the carb and exhaust, left it for ten minuites and whoopy she freed off and has some compresion. i was told that the plane has been standing for about ten years but i dont think it was that long i'm tempted to stick some fuel in it and try starting it but common sense say's take it slowly think i will get the prop off and get a good look at the engine first i cant see where the glow plug goes at the moment
Brian Parker14/03/2010 14:32:50
538 forum posts
The only common sense thing to do is to fit a proper engine in the Cessna and then send the Wankel off to me.
00114/03/2010 15:24:25
2212 forum posts
1 photos
Phil, I would advise that you use a fuel with a high % of oil, preferably with a bit of castor in it, also you will find it difficult if not impossible to start it without a starter motor as there is a reduction gear within the motor 1.4 : 1 or something similar. Compression never feels very high.

The earlier ones, which yours probably is, use a special glow plug, do not use a 4 stroke or long reach one as it will damage the rotor. And as they run hot, do not run it lean, have plenty of smoke coming out the exhaust. Otherwise they are similar to a two stroke. Is yours the one with the carb on the front cover plate next to the prop driver? Or on the side of the figure of 8 shaped finned housing?
Phil Claridge14/03/2010 18:09:26
1924 forum posts
32 photos
hi there richard, my engine is the early one AND THE GOOD NEWS IS SHE RUNS i was trying to take off the prop when i noticed it had moved and ithought the prop was slipping but low and behold the crank was turning very sticky, so i took off the carb and the glowplug and filled the engine with a spray called double T and left it for a couple of hours while i cleaned the carb. the engine freed up  and there was some compression so i tested the glow and that worked, rinsed out the engine with fresh fuel took it down to the garden tied her down and tried the starter  no go checked for fuel coming through because she is still got her old tank and pipes, then realised i had'nt opened the needle valve up opened up two turns and she started almost instantly  ran abit rough to start with then settled down, at the moment it has no silencer so i did'nt run it for to long but it throttles nicely sounds good and i love it. i have been looking on the net and found out they run on 15% with high castor content. my test run was using duraglo 5% about nine months old the prop is a nine by six. the motor is classed as a30 or 4.9 cc. the net says they can be hand started but they eat fingers, i will only start it with a starter i love my digits too much. will now have to fit her up with the radio gear and see how it goes in the air regards phil   one happy bunny
Peter Miller14/03/2010 18:40:30
11094 forum posts
1309 photos
10 articles
I played with one recently, They are remarkably powerful. I found a problem getting the idle down but if you go and look at the Luciole thread Woetc in Australia was flying one in a Luciole (when like a rocket) but he got the idle sorted.
Phil Claridge17/03/2010 16:12:31
1924 forum posts
32 photos
hi its me again, i am looking for an original exhaust for this engine if anybody has got one.I have tried jd haytree but no luck there, i can make one out of bits and bobs but i would like to keep it original if i can. the exhaust has a ten mm dia manifold at the front of the silencer and should be about four inches long. if any one can help i would be most gratefull regards phil
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator17/03/2010 18:32:23
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Hi Phil,

any chance of a couple of pictures of the engine?

BEB
Simon Chaddock17/03/2010 23:48:42
5716 forum posts
3034 photos
There are some nice pictures here
Phil 
I wish I had one of these!

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator18/03/2010 00:09:37
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
A very interesting article! Thanks Simon. Beatiful engine, the engineer in me really likes this, but with my practical head on I say "No way".

But I agree, I'd still love to have one - just as a curiosity for bench running you understand  But I think the RCV is as adventurous as I want to go with something that goes into the air!

BEB
Phil Claridge19/03/2010 15:00:27
1924 forum posts
32 photos
hi there i will put some pictures up when my missus shows me how to. it was the mechanic in me that got me interested in the engine but i never thought i would get my hands on one, let alone fitted to a model that seems to be made for it as the engine fits on the back plate and the cowl is moulded plastic and fits like a glove around the engine with lots of cooling holes. the plane is a cessna 177 cardinal moulded plastic with a 61 in span, it looks too heavy for the engine but i have been told the wankel is quite powerful. i have fitted her up with radio and servo's and i'm waiting to get some fuel to test fly it, but as i have been told the whole thing is now a collectors item i will be very nervous.the model was advertised in our club magazine about four months ago as being sold for charity and i thought it was out of my price range, but it reappeared this month and nobody had made an offer so i jumped in and got it for £35 i think there will be a few red faces down at the club when they see it flying
flytilbroke19/03/2010 16:06:04
2083 forum posts
5 photos
Given it goes like the RO80 car did it will be terrific,,, for a little while. Best of luck Phil.
Phil Claridge19/03/2010 17:38:46
1924 forum posts
32 photos

just taken this and learnt how to post it
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator19/03/2010 22:48:55
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Wow! Good for £35! If it goes well, as it may well, it will be a cracker. And it fits well in cowls.

BEB
Pete B - Moderator19/03/2010 22:58:35
7655 forum posts
734 photos
Might be worth getting a lottery ticket as well this weekend, Phil

Pete
Phil Claridge24/03/2010 12:20:17
1924 forum posts
32 photos
hi folks, i have now got some fuel model technics gn25 which is 25%nitro and 20% castor but at a price £6 75p for 1litre, so i dont think the wankel will get to much running very often. i think i might fly it a few times and then sell it as i have a few to many hanger queens and someone else can learn about wankel moters. i will let you all know when its flown along with some photos
thomas oliver 124/03/2010 22:57:02
96 forum posts
23 photos
Some years ago I was at the Woodvale Show and some guy sent up a small delta wing model which screamed around the sky at a terrific rate, doing vertical twinkle rolls.  I was very impressed and when it landed I was close and could see that it had the Wankel engine fitted.
Phil Claridge03/09/2010 00:19:56
1924 forum posts
32 photos
hi folks took the plane down the field on tuesday to get the engine running right and it fired up straight away this planes been on the back burner for awhile so it was good to ger her out again. the fuel pipes and tank need a good look over and a suitable silencer made up, she makes a lot of noise for a little engine. the plane needs a bit of tlc as some of the hinges are loose but i have new enthusiasm to get her sorted now
regards phil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!