By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

I hope it won't be a procession all year.........

Bad vibes from Bahrein

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Pete B - Moderator15/03/2010 14:41:45
7680 forum posts
735 photos
Sorry, folks, can't help it but I do enjoy my fortnightly dose of F1 and, like many others, have been looking forward to this year's shenanigans.

I have to say that the new rules look as if they're going to make this season the longest ever - not by the number of races but the sheer numbing boredom of a procession of overweight trucks lumbering around the track for an hour or two

Hope they do something about it toute de suite!

Pete 

Stephen Grigg15/03/2010 14:46:52
8691 forum posts
1128 photos
You are no true enthusiast Pete B,when I woke up the blue one slowed down and the red ones went passed,on the straight then the siver one then it ended.I was on the edge of my seat down the field and resumed my flying instantly it ended,.Then with the wind things were exciting
Tim Hooper15/03/2010 15:02:23
2914 forum posts
2412 photos
Have to admit that it was as dull as dish water.....

tim
Garry Pollard15/03/2010 15:05:21
1091 forum posts
Watched it to the bitter end. Wish I could have found some paint so I could have watched it dry, it would have been more exciting than the F1
Garry
Wingman15/03/2010 15:16:24
1152 forum posts
405 photos
Yep easily the worst GP I've ever watched. I'm not a team man, I like the tactics and the cut and thrust but that was just rubbish - I mean 7 or 8 seconds between the 'best' cars what is that all about??  Also F1 is all about speed and there just wasn't any. 
Merlin spit15/03/2010 15:24:50
431 forum posts
1 photos
it was hyped up because of certain drivers ,i still hope that a few races in, we will see some true racing personlly id like too see 2 mclarons fighting  a silver arrow off .

Edited By austen rover on 15/03/2010 15:25:31

Pete B - Moderator15/03/2010 15:35:33
7680 forum posts
735 photos
Posted by Stephen Grigg on 15/03/2010 14:46:52:
You are no true enthusiast Pete B,when I woke up the blue one slowed down and the red ones went passed,on the straight then the siver one then it ended.I was on the edge of my seat down the field and resumed my flying instantly it ended,.Then with the wind things were exciting

Drat, I missed the action, Stephen, must have been examining the backs of my eyelids.....

Anyway, you shouldn't fly with wind -it's distracting - for others, if not you!

Pete
julian15/03/2010 16:15:33
93 forum posts
1 photos
I managed to watch about 15 minutes and then had a nap....................Better than counting sheep.I used to be a fan and remember the wheel to wheel stuff of Mansell,Senna & Prost.
This lot might as well use the qualifying times to decide the results as there's a lot more overtaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The FIA(Ferrari International Assistance)have got it wrong again.
It's going to be a looooooooooooooooong season..zzzzzzzzzzzzzz-Still a lot more flying
Stephen Grigg15/03/2010 16:42:41
8691 forum posts
1128 photos
I think at present your right Julian,wish I stayed at the flying field,more excitement there
Erfolg15/03/2010 17:08:56
11827 forum posts
1354 photos
There seems to be a fundamental issue, that is that the aerodynamics that it is legal to apply to the design of a car, have the effect of making it very difficult for a following car to close sufficiently to overtake. A second issue is that power levels are so even matched, who ever build s the engine, that again the power available is all but identical.

Yet we all know that.

All the efforts to reduce the benefits of aerodynamics always seem to come to nought. Yet again Mclaren are found to be pushing the boundaries of the regulation beyond the intended limit. What happens, there is no problem. It seems the regulations are not achieving there stated intended objective, of creating a set of rules, which provide opportunity for designers and builders of chassis and engines, whilst avoiding the nose to tail procession, found on the UK's "A" roads with the mryiad of islands, bollards, double white lines, (you can at least justify that, almost).

Perhaps wings as we know them, need to be banned? It may be a good idea to allow the engine makers to do what they want with a lower limit,2l? rather than 2.4l, V8.

I guess the real stumbling block is that it is very much a competitive business, with many vested interests. The stakes being so high, we have become aware of behaviour so lacking in any sporting morality, if the perpetrators had been any nationality than our own, most of us would have demanded their immediate expulsion.

Thank God there is football and United!

Erfolg

Bruce Richards15/03/2010 17:27:45
1849 forum posts
Going to the Le Mans 24 hour again this year. Now that is exciting racing. Would not work on TV though.
Wingman15/03/2010 17:59:56
1152 forum posts
405 photos
See Mansell and his two sons are racing Le Mans this year - first father/son team - he's the same age as me and I wouldn't like to be strapped in a hard seat in a car with hardly any suspension  for 3 or 4 hours at a time - I hope the lads give their poor old Dad a break! 
Klippy15/03/2010 18:04:23
755 forum posts
13 photos
Have to agree, the FIA have made a complete mess of it this year, and it isn't going to get any better. F1 is supposed to be the leading edge, so much of the technology has made it through to the masses of road cars. KERS should be made compulsory, they should be allowed only 150Kgs of fuel per race, and, the rearmost part of the car should be a 1metre x .5metre flat board that'll make slipstreaming easier. A 2litre formula where anything goes within those parameters.
Wingman15/03/2010 18:12:52
1152 forum posts
405 photos
Yeah I've always thought that for F1 they should just give the teams a box size into which the cars have to fit and a standard engine capacity.
Bottom line is I hate to see the sport that I've been a big fan of since the 70s being trashed by stupid regulations imposed by people who should have enough technical nous to know that if you put 220kg fuel in a 600kg car it's going to be a dog!  
Peter Miller15/03/2010 18:35:43
11491 forum posts
1369 photos
10 articles
I usually watch the first two laps, after the first corner it gets boring.

Touring cars are the best for excitement.

I used to enjoy WRC but Dave turned that into a guest show and anyway it get boring with Loeb winning all the time.
Wingman15/03/2010 18:45:31
1152 forum posts
405 photos
Sorry that should read 160kg (220ltr)
00115/03/2010 19:00:12
2212 forum posts
1 photos
Unfortunately it was like a procession of very expensive cars going round a quarry.

Seems to me that there needs to be some very wide corners on every track engineered so that drivers have a choice of going the short but slow way or long but very fast way round, perhaps with an island between the two parts, might make qualifying more interesting as well.
Eric Bray15/03/2010 20:44:13
6600 forum posts
2 photos
I, too, remember the real drivers - Senna, Mansell, and Prost, et al. I watched with total boredom, last weekend. Off-road truck racing in a quarry is more interesting!
I still don't understand why the teams have to use two kinds of tyre in a race, surely the idea of practice is to pick the best option for the particular track? Putting tyres on that do NOT suit is safe?
Ferrari changed the engine in both their cars after practice, and before the race. Why were they not penalized ten places?
Oh, I forgot, Ferrari have different rules to the rest.

What to do - get rid of that idiotic commentator that is with Brundle, for a start, his inane waffle makes a boring procession even worse! He's almost as bad as Mr Pitstop, a couple of seasons ago. Nobody can out-commentate Murray!
Take the wings off the cars, and make them back into cars and not inverted aeroplanes.
Put them back on three inch wide spoked wheels and treaded road tyres, and THEN see who can drive!

I will probably watch Australia in a fortnight, but if it is just as boring - sorry, but it will be the off-switch!
Pete B - Moderator15/03/2010 21:25:50
7680 forum posts
735 photos
I don't expect to see any changes for the next couple of races, at least. It may be that the teams were  dipping their toe in the water, as it were, for this race, to see how things panned out. If there's no improvement to the spectacle by the time they get to Europe, then  there'll be a serious amount of disinterest.

I, like Eric, cannot really understand why they have to run both the prime and option tyres, although this has been a rule for some time. I too presumed that Ferrari would get a grid penalty for the engine change - perhaps that rule has disappeared this year? We shall see.

I think most of us miss Murray - even James Allen was far better than Jonathan Ledyard. Half his commentary bears no relation to current happenings and time after time he does not appear to notice what's on the screen in front of us!

Unfortunately, F1 is only about one thing - money. The fans are immaterial in Ecclestone's eyes - he has introduced desperately bland new tracks such as Valencia, Singapore and Bahrein, amongst others, purely because they offered him more money. Whilst older tracks had their drawbacks, they had a certain attraction. What about the A-Ring, set in magnificent scenery? I've been to both Silverstone and Magny-Cours and thoroughly enjoyed the racing but he has ditched one and reluctantly returned to the other. He would drop Spa given half a chance.

I'll have to stop - I'm talking myself out of watching it in the future! 

Pete
Tim Mackey15/03/2010 22:23:08
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Well at least there is one good thing to come from it - I shant be bothered in the slightest if anyone wants to "celebrate" and announce the winner before I have had chance to watch it on sky+  as it seems highly unlikely that I shall be bothering to watch any more

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!