Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Printing Plans

Printing Plans

Andy Green examines the software options - 13/4/10

Ken Lighten01/04/2010 10:27:25
258 forum posts
42 photos
Go to the link for a really good FREE 2D cad program, you just need to register with them - I'm using it now as a complete novice and I'm finding it is really easy to draw with.

free CAD download
IanN01/04/2010 12:22:33
1675 forum posts
119 photos
Ken, I'm totally new to cad. I downloaded this a while back and am really struggling with the basics.  E.g. how to import or copy a drawing, and then go about getting rid of what you don't need, and adding your own bits in?

The thing that stumped me was that apart from a forum there doesn't seem to be a manual you can print, or any guide to getting started with the step by step basics. Have I missed something in that department?

Ken Lighten01/04/2010 22:36:38
258 forum posts
42 photos
Ian, the help file on the right hand top corner is really quite good - have you upgraded it to the latest version? Do you mean opening an existing drawing from another source to work on or bringing something into a drawing you are working on? or do you mean copying a part of the drawing you are working on to use elsewhere on it?
IanN01/04/2010 23:58:24
1675 forum posts
119 photos
I only downloaded this a couple of months ago, but have upgraded this evening just to be sure I'm up to date.

BTW, I had some problems completing the initial download but the siemens helpdesk were absolutely brilliant - sent me a file that sorted the issue first time.

What I'm trying to do is open an existing drawing from another source to work on. E.g lets say I have a scale aircraft drawing that I've scanned into my pc, and I want to get that into Solidedge 2D to use the outline to create a plan for a model. How do I do that?
Ken Lighten02/04/2010 15:22:20
258 forum posts
42 photos
Ian, here's what you need to do:

open a new drawing and set your desired sheet size

go to the insert tab up on the top right of the 'home' task bar, on there click the 'image' icon,

click 'browse' and find your drawing and then select it

click 'open'

click 'OK' and your drawing should appear on your blank sheet.

It can then be stretched to fit using the corner dots on the highlighted edge of it

press the left mouse button anywhere on your sheet (away from your inserted drawing) and it is then ready for you to trace over to you hearts content

Hope this helps, Ken

Peter 'Ivanna Crashalot' Savage02/04/2010 16:11:28
1557 forum posts
58 photos
Can you export g code files?
Ken Lighten02/04/2010 17:51:33
258 forum posts
42 photos
I'd love to help, but haven't got a clue what a g code file is!!
Ralph Yeates02/04/2010 19:12:17
218 forum posts
18 photos
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-code

Edited By Ralph Yeates on 02/04/2010 19:12:54

Peter 'Ivanna Crashalot' Savage02/04/2010 19:33:34
1557 forum posts
58 photos
A file you enter into a CNC machine to make the part.
Ken Lighten02/04/2010 20:36:07
258 forum posts
42 photos
Peter, I don't think so, but drawings can be saved as Autocad files (.dxf & .dwg) so I suppose can be used where ever they can using something like this
IanN04/04/2010 10:10:04
1675 forum posts
119 photos
Ken, many thanks indeed, that's got me started. I've imported a drawing and started to experiment with the Draw functions to trace over the outlines that I need. Familiarity with that will come with practise

The next question I forsee is how do I then seperate my tracing from the imported drawing. Would that be "Layers"?

Peter 'Ivanna Crashalot' Savage04/04/2010 12:02:30
1557 forum posts
58 photos
I think if you are interested in doing cnc cutting, there is a plugin for google sketchup which allows you to plot cutting strokes around your parts, ie offset them the diameter of the cutting bit.
IanN04/04/2010 16:46:46
1675 forum posts
119 photos
Posted by IanN on 04/04/2010 10:10:04:

The next question I forsee is how do I then seperate my tracing from the imported drawing. Would that be "Layers"?

Still very much at the dabbling stage, but I think I've started to answer my own q. Selected a new layer then traced this wing. Drew fus centre line and wing LE and TE. Then added curved tip and the aileron lines. Then used mirror image along the fus centreline axis to get the full wing

All very interesting stuff, exploring the various drawing tools and functions. I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface. Still much to learn re use of layers, and placement of components is a bit puzzling. Not sure why the wing isn't centred in the Solidedge frame (or if this frame is necessary?
Ken Lighten04/04/2010 19:25:19
258 forum posts
42 photos
Ian, you can move the whole piece you have drawn by using the select button on the home task bar and drag a 'select box' around the wing, then just move the mouse pointer to a part of it, hold the left mouse button down and move the wing to where-ever you want it to be.
Big Bandit04/05/2010 09:21:29
2436 forum posts
947 photos
Posted by Peter 'Servo Scrounger' Savage on 02/04/2010 19:33:34:
A file you enter into a CNC machine to make the part.
Posted by Ken Lighten on 02/04/2010 20:36:07:
Peter, I don't think so, but drawings can be saved as Autocad files (.dxf & .dwg) so I suppose can be used where ever they can using something like this

Peter, Ken,

A friend of mine uses .DWG files to directly import into his CNC machines to produce high quality engineering parts for the motor sport and aerospace industries so I can't see why it should not work if drawings can be saved as .DWG files.

Chris.

Hugh Coleman17/07/2010 09:03:23
518 forum posts
11 photos
Thanks for the heads up.
But I think I'll stick with what I know.  Cadkey97, Solid Works (which is much easier to use than Solid Edge... At least in 3D) and Pro-desktop (which was distributed much the same way back in the early 2000s as a marketing exercise).

You'll find that this software will be free for a time and then will eventually end up like Pro-desktop, where there will be a time limit on registering.  So if you like the look of this one, get it while you can and make the most of it while you can.

But it's nice to see that some of the manufacturers are letting us have access to their tools even at a reduced capability.  Should be more of it.  I wish Autodesk would let us have a cut down version of Autocad Lite... That would be cool.

Cheers,

Hugh
Richard Putnam 127/10/2010 18:45:53
61 forum posts
4 photos
Hi,
Can I joinin?
I have Totalcad. I have had it for some time but just trying to come to grips with it.
I have a drawing in an old radio Control annual I have scanned it  but can't get it to load onto the cad program.

My scanner does not have a DRG  or may be for Totalcad  TCW suffix and I can't find any way in Photoshop to convert it to the suffix that is required.
All ideas welcome.
Richard.
Rob Ashley06/08/2015 21:11:44
256 forum posts
86 photos

Hi all,

I have been using Solid Edge for a few years now and have drawn and CNC cut allsorts from it, from full model kits to engine parts in aluminium. It is a very powerful tool but does take a bit of time to get used to. The help function is ok but I found using the program better. To cut a whole kit I found it best to scan in the bulkheads / formers / ribs etc from the plan in either jpeg, bmp or tiff format (Solid Edge accepts all these). Place the scan in the background using the insert function and trace over the top - then check with original plan. (This may help Richard Putnam?).

For plans in PDF you can get online converters to change file type to bmp/tif/gif/jpeg etc to help and repeat process above.

I recently drew and cut a kit of parts for a mate consisting of 134 individual parts and the whole lot took me about 7 hrs of CAD work.

I would very much recommend Solid Edge but also recognise that the best program to use is the one you know how to use....

Edited By Rob Ashley on 06/08/2015 21:17:18

Rob Ashley06/08/2015 21:23:56
256 forum posts
86 photos

Ian N,

When Solid Edge imports drawings it often loads them as separate layers or in blocks. For CNC stuff I would always keep everything on one layer. Reason being the dxf file you generate for the cutting program effectively links everything on a single layer as a continuous line. So different layer= different line. It is possible to have multiple layers but I have found that a single layer works best for me for model aircraft work.

if the drawing loads in as blocks then select all and use ungroup function to get individual lines back. The dxf will not see grouped or blocked lines - hence I use a single layer to keep it easy

Best regards

Rob

Rob Ashley06/08/2015 21:30:04
256 forum posts
86 photos

Peter,

Solid Edge(SE) does not export GCode it produces CAD output files (DWG / DXF etc). I use Curve Cut to import the DXF from SE then post process to GCode for Mach 3 which controls my CNC machine.

Hope this helps

Rob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!