All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Printing Plans

Printing Plans

Andy Green examines the software options - 13/4/10

Geri Atric02/04/2010 15:22:03
16 forum posts
I've been searching for some time for PC (Windows) software to enlarge a plan from a single A4 sheet to about 60" span printed onto multiple A4 sheets. Some time ago Julian Beckett mentioned such a thing in a review but left no other clues. I've tried Google's Picasa but it only allows fixed ratios and is not really suitable. Page 99 April issue shows just the thing! Any and all advice most welcome.
kc02/04/2010 16:01:11
6639 forum posts
173 photos
If  you look at   http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/    you will find a link to a tile program plus many plans in tiled format.
Ernie02/04/2010 17:21:36
2542 forum posts
24 photos
Hi Gerry,
It's very easy for an architects print shop to enlarge images for you. They will make a monochrome print.  The main problem is that the line thickness will also increase, so a little interpretation might be needed

It will cost very little, about £5 here in France for A2

ernie

;
Martin Harris02/04/2010 20:30:33
9493 forum posts
256 photos
My local office printer will do A0 width x any length for the equivalent of @£2-50 per A0 sheet.  They also go a bit wider than A0 on better quality paper but it cost me @£8 each for 1 3/4 M length prints.

I just took a plan in and they scanned it into PDF format for a couple of squids.  I took it away, made some changes and enlarged the plan using Photoshop Elements (bundled free with a lot of printers) and went back with it on a memory stick for them to print.

For the price, I reckon it beats messing about with A4 sheets and sticky tape!

Edited By Martin Harris on 02/04/2010 20:34:18

Geri Atric09/04/2010 16:00:07
16 forum posts
Found a Prontaprint shop less than 10 miles from home ! (Why didn't I think of that?)
Can make several pages to any size for about £6 - £8 (less than the cost of printer ink) so the job's a good 'un.
Many thanks for the pointers.
IanN12/04/2010 23:57:02
1675 forum posts
119 photos
Whilst I agree that there are many printers out there who can do a good job, don't dismiss the tile print solution out of hand.

I looked at KC's recommendation and I rather like it. Sure, you've got to sellotape a few A4s together but

(a) its deadly accurate. Just to try it out I specified a wingspan of 48.54" and that's exactly what I got

(b) you can specify which tiles you want to print, so its a good tool for checking any "what if" questions that you may have when contemplating a particular part of a build. E.g. just print a particular key area, to get a feel for your planned build. Seeing the nose of my project at full size certainly changed my ideas re how I'll approach the cowl.

(c) it ain't that tough to stick a few sheets of paper together in a straight line. 

People will make their own time v money choices. There are occasions when I'll need the print shop solution, but I find this tile printer is a very useful addition to my pc
Ralph Yeates27/03/2011 11:10:20
218 forum posts
18 photos
I have built 2 of these The Pizazz they are the fore runner to the hanger9 twist. The plans are accurate free and easy/medium to build. The flying of the plan is great full 3D but not as precise as the twist but cheaper and a good throw about model.
Doug Ireland27/03/2011 12:46:21
2088 forum posts
42 photos
I just had a look at the settings of my home printer (Epson Stylus 8400) and it supports "Tile Printing". It will even print alignment marks on the pages.
Terence Lynock31/03/2011 19:14:02
2453 forum posts
46 photos
Be careful when using a HP printer as it can go into 'borderless' mode and this causes the image to be stretched to fill the page, I made this mistake shortly after buying a Photosmart Plus 209 a-m.
It is very versatile and you can set up specific specs for the print job but it also has one or two little habits that are not wanted so best to experiment and compare prints to original plan for stretch etc.
Rick Devonshire31/03/2011 20:21:31
66 forum posts
Yes Geri Atric I seem to remember a mention of such sofware for tile printing plans. I am sure it was free.
But was it on this web site or was it in a mag? Anyone saved more information?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!