Electric Seaplanes

Looking for a nice little example

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator20/04/2010 23:51:34
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Hi,

this year for the family summer holiday we're hiring a boat, sailing on the lochs up in Scotland. Normally that would mean 2 weeks and no flying

Then I suddenly had a thought, what about a nice little electric seaplane? I could fly it off the water by the boat and charge the lipo's from the boat's batteries.

Now obviously whatever I get has got to fit in the car with all the family's luggage for the trip up - so it can't be that big. And bear in mind I've never flown off water in my life (even though I live within 100 yards of the Irish Sea!) so its got to be easy to handle.

I came across the ArtTEch Coota which looks handy. Right sort of size, mid wing, parallel chord etc. One particular advantage is there is a RTF version so that means a 2.4GHz transmitter that runs on dry cells - which would save me from the danger of dropping my Futaba FG8 overboard! - and would need no charging - the boat doesn't have 240v electrics - only 12v.

So the questions are:

1. Anyone had anyexperience of the Coota?

2. Any alternative suggestions as to what I should be looking at?

3. Any general advice on seaplane/floatplane flying?

All help, advice and comments gratefully received!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother on 20/04/2010 23:52:51

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator21/04/2010 15:19:58
6730 forum posts
191 photos
How about the H2O from Britflight.......??

I've not flown one but Nigel Hawes reviewed one in the mag recently & it seemed to tick all your boxes
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator21/04/2010 23:27:17
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Mmmm, the H20 certainly does look interesting. I'll have to give BritFlight a ring cos I need to know if the wings separate for transport. Does look the business though and the review is quite positive about the model. Thanks for the tip Steve.

BEB
Tim Mackey22/04/2010 08:24:23
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Yes the wing is separate from the fus
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator22/04/2010 09:22:10
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Thanks for the info Timbo

BEB
Olly P22/04/2010 10:20:46
3215 forum posts
181 photos
What is that other Britflight one, a boat that flies rather than a plane that floats?

Ah - the hydrofoam.

Edit for spelling, and 450 Posts!!

Edited By Olly P on 22/04/2010 10:22:04

Bryce Allcorn - BritFlight.co.uk22/04/2010 12:54:15
241 forum posts
No, go for the HTWO-O but not the Hydrofoam - the HTWO-O flies really well and surprises most - the Hydrofoam is a fun boat that does take off but has the real world  flying characteristics of a slug - a fun slug but not a fun plane!

Cheers

Bryce

Terry Mills22/04/2010 16:20:29
71 forum posts
I had a Coota, would not recommend it.
1/ the wings are glued to stubs on the fuselage sides. This means that the foam fuselage, with its big cutout for the non load- bearing cockpit glazing, takes the load from the wings, as their is no wing joiner, other than thin air. Should you decide to buy one of these, this is an area that will need your immediate attention, BEFORE you glue the wings on. I contacted another owner through this forum, they also reported the wing problem.
2/ The tail unit is not stiff enough. If you apply rudder, the tailplane moves, and if you apply elevator - guess what! It needs to be braced in some way.
3/ Assume that it lands fast, and has a nasty stall. Can't be 100% sure of this, due to early damage.
4/ and check to see if it has a piece of steel in the nose. Mine did. This is apparently a leftover from the previous non 2.4 model.
5/ I did contact the supplier, and can't say that they were any help. Needless to say they are on my private black list.
Good Flying
Solid Snake22/04/2010 17:26:13
215 forum posts
49 photos
How about building a simple Seadart? Or Robotbirds do a EPP flying boat from Freeair Nemo Also, according to the Freeair website, they might be doing a Catalina. 
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator22/04/2010 18:29:26
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Thanks for the info Terry - something I love about this forum is that with all these folks someone is bound to have had a go with most things!

James - good suggestions. But I can't take on a build project for this - the Pup is already sitting there looking reproacefully at me! I need to focus on that. Between the Pup and running repairs/maintainance I don't have time for a build. A Catalina sounds gorgous though....

Bryce, its looking like the HTWO-O might be the strong candidate. Can I just ask do the wings separate into two halves or is it one long wing? I know Timbo says the wing is separate from the fuselage - but the issue is can I separate the wings from each other? Its not "terminal" if I can't - but it would sure be easier to pack if I could.

BEB 

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother on 22/04/2010 18:30:32

Solid Snake22/04/2010 18:39:08
215 forum posts
49 photos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OkY-HCHghk
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator22/04/2010 18:48:18
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Looks nice!
Bryce Allcorn - BritFlight.co.uk23/04/2010 13:24:16
241 forum posts
I'm afraid they are 1 length (~110cm) but easily re-moveable from fuselage but do remember the wing has the motor pod attached to it.

Cheers,

Bryce.
Yorkman26/04/2010 19:38:38
298 forum posts
22 photos
Hi BEB
I've got a Coota-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWRF2cDi64s-yes, the wings are glued on-but I unglued mine, and with a length of carbon rod and ally tube made plug-on wings and transported it via TAM to Brazil..so I'm sure you can make it to Scotland with it!
Yes, the tailfeathers are a bit wobbly, but I haven't had any issues with wing strength, either before or after making them removeable.
It does drop a wing on stall, but you have to really abuse it, and it handles...differently, because of the pylon mounted engine, but I'm guaranteed some flying if I take it out, and did a few lakes in Brazil perfectly successfully.
One thing I would suggest if you go for one, is to seal the canopy with tape before flying from water-or empty half a pint or so out if your landing is less than perfect!

Edited By Yorkman on 26/04/2010 19:39:33

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator27/04/2010 12:06:55
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Nice video Yorkman

Perfect landings eh? Mmmm. In my view they are perfect if the undercarriage is still in place! What is it the full-size boys say? "Any landing you can walk away from is good landing. If they can fly the plane again then its a great landing"!

On balance I've come down on the side of the HTWO-O as it looks a better quality product all round. I'll be giving Bryce a call next week to order one. I'll let you know how I get on. I might even be able to maiden it before going to Scotland as there are often quite big, wide open" "tide pools" on the beach by me. If I can find a nice still evening I might be tempted to give it a go!

BEB 
Toni Reynaud30/04/2010 15:02:15
397 forum posts
48 photos
I took a Multiplex Minimag with a float kit to the broads a couple of weeks ago. Good fun!

http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/products.php?CatID=7&SubCatID=22&ProductID=3764&Title=Multiplex+MiniMag+RR&ManCode=264211

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator30/04/2010 17:58:04
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Yeah, looks good. I'm looking forward to it - its given the holiday a whole new dimension - even SWMBO thinks its a good idea

BEB
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator04/05/2010 14:45:19
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Well I've taken the plunge - hopefully not literally! I contacted Bryce earlier today and ordered an HTWO-0 in blue with the electric pack and two 2250mAh LiPo's. I have to buy all the electrickery bits cos I don't normally "do" electric - except for a Minimum indoor model I have. So this should be an interesting learning experience being a new electric powered plane and a seaplane to boot!

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone - I'll let you know how I get on.

BEB
Yorkman05/05/2010 21:58:09
298 forum posts
22 photos
As a flying boat 'virgin' up until a couple of months ago, I look forward to hearing how you get on.
Good luck!
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator16/06/2010 23:51:37
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Thought I'd report back on this one - well at least a sort of "interim report"

The model arrived from BritFlight within 48 hours. It was well packed and all the bits and pieces, large and small, were all present and correct. As I'd never built an electric powered model before I ordered the "electric pack" that is offered with the model and was very glad I did. In the electric pack you get a battery, ESC, motor, 2 props, 3 micro servos and a servo extension lead. Great stuff - basically you just need to add an Rx and its a goer!

The build is very straight forward and introduced me to a new tool - the hot glue gun. Great bit of kit! I can see all sorts of uses for it in future. The model is basically a mixture of plastic and foam as far as I can see and is nicely covered by film in an attractive design. The whole kit goes together with no drama and as a pleasant stress-free evening or two's build. The instructions are provided on a CDRom. They have lots of colour pictures and plenty of clear text. It makes a pleasant change to come across a manual that is actually written in English rather than Chinglish!

With all the big bits glued together and the all the electrical bits soldered or pluged together, it was ready for its maiden flight. I left the wing floats off for this as it was to be over grass. Tonight was a perfect opportunity for a maiden flight in our part of the world, sunny with just a gentle breeze. From a hand launch she went away nicely. It needed a bit of left aileron trim but otherwise was fine. The strongest impression of the maiden flight was that this is a very smooth aeroplane to fly. I was surprised at the speed range, at full chat she will buzz round the sky with plenty of vim, but better (in my view) at half throttle or so the model flys surprisingly stably at very low speeds and looks graceful and very realistic in the air. Some folks had reported a slight dodgey stall with a wing being dropped - so I tried out the stall at altitude twice. On both occassions the stall was straight ahead - no sign of a wing drop. The stall was however quite sudden - there was little warning in the way of  "mushing" etc, she just drops the nose quite sharply and suddenly. Recovery from the stall was simple and rapid. I only tried a a very few aeros - as I had a wing fixing band I was not happy was quite tight enough. Rolls are bit barrel-like, modest sized loops are ok from level flight. I couldn't get a clean stall turn with a good vertical climb in from her - but that might have been due to the fact that I think my battery was running out of "ummph" a bit by then. Landing was very straight forward and its easy to put her down gently on the grass for a "belly landing"

All in all, and based so far on just one flight, a very nice model and I'm very pleased with it. Well done BritFlight!

Will fit the wing floats now and then will be all set for Scotland and its Lochs! I will try to post a video of the first off-water flight.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother on 16/06/2010 23:55:42

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us