Forum sponsored by CML

ESC (brushed) to Receiver compatibility advice please

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Smith 705/05/2010 09:34:18
805 forum posts
28 photos
Hi,

I have a cheap RTF model, with a brush motor (380 I think) supplied complete with all radio and ESC etc etc.    I'd like to be able to use a better radio, partly so I use the same transmitter as I use for my glider, and also so I can convert the wings to flaperon / spoileron control.

Before buying anything specially for the model, I thought I'd do some testing with a Futaba receiver from my glider, and it doesn't appear that the ESC is compatible.

First test the motor went to full power as soon as the ESC was armed, and no movement of the throttle stick or trim made any difference.    Second test with the channel reversed at the transmitter, the motor runs about 30% power or so with the stick and trim fully back, with power increasing as the throttle is advanced.    I checked the throttle channel with a normal servo and it appears to work normally, but I can't rule out the receiver as its only ever been used in a two-channel glider.

Can anyone suggest anything else I should try before giving up on the ESC?  I would really rather not replace it if possible, as the power train is one part of the model that works perfectly well as it is.

Thanks,  Tony S
Tim Mackey05/05/2010 10:07:10
20930 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Apparantly normal for Fuby stuff to need the throttle set to reverse for ESCs.
Re-train the ESC to recognize the Tx throttle throws. Usually this involves switching on the Tx FIRST (with throttle reversed and throws set to 100+/-) and set to maximum throttle.
Please remove the prop before doing this setup procedure.
Then power up the ESC, wait for beeps, then move thr to fully down, wait for another beep and then disconnect everything.
This should now work correctly next time you boot up "properly" IE tx throttle low , followed by Rx.

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 05/05/2010 10:22:28

Tony Smith 705/05/2010 10:43:58
805 forum posts
28 photos
Brilliant, thanks for that.    It's safe running without the prop?   I thought it might overspeed, but its certainly a pain holding the model while running under power, disconnecting the battery with one hand!

The only thing I'd say is this ESC arms by pressing a push-button.  Normal process is TX on first, connect battery on plane.   At this stage all controls work except the motor.   Then press the arm button for a couple of seconds, and after that the throttle responds.     I don't think I've ever heard a beep from the ESC.

At what point in your process do think I should press the arm button (if at all)?

Thanks again.
Tim Mackey05/05/2010 11:00:07
20930 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Its OK to do a brief run without the prop yes. Never owned, used, or even seen an ESC with a button so cant answer that I am afraid.
Tony Smith 705/05/2010 13:05:11
805 forum posts
28 photos
Great.   Prop off for my next test, it'll be a lot less stressful I think.

I'll just have to try the push-button myself and see how it fits into that setup procedure that you outlined.    I like the button as a safety feature, it means that the can be left ESC is disarmed until just before launch, no worry about knocking the throttle stick at the wrong moment.

Thanks again,

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Motion RC
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us