Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Battery for EDF

Need some advice on use of EDF unit

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Doug Brown26/05/2010 14:05:31
2 forum posts
Dear All, I started flying just over a year ago and have acquired a number of models now. One of my interests is slope soaring but living in the wilds of Cambridgeshire this requires a long trek  I have built a Stan Yeo Synergy Duet and would like to be able to fly this at Old Warden when the wind is strong but in the wrong direction for Ivinghoe. So I decided to make a power unit utilising an EDF unit temporarily strapped to the top of the wing on a mounting board.

I have obtained a 64 mm Freewing EDF unit copmplete with a 45 BL ESC which I intended to use with a 3S 1300 mAh LiPo. The instructions on the EDF box suggest that only 4S batteries should be used with this ESC. Can any of you with experience of using these units advise please whether I'd be doing damage if I used a 3S battery?
Doug
Tim Mackey26/05/2010 14:56:42
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Hi Doug and welcome aboard the forum. Cant see how using a lower cell count battery will harm the ESC - however, whether the EDF unit will deliver the power you need using 3s is another matter.
Bruce Richards26/05/2010 15:51:46
1849 forum posts
A club member did have a problem with using 3s battery on an ESC specifying 4-6s. The problem was that the ESC saw the 3s pack as a flat 4s so the LVC cut in and backed off the speed and thus he never got full power from the motors. This was on a big 4 engined model and nearly ended in disaster.
Tim Mackey26/05/2010 16:14:38
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Ah yes, didnt think of that - but the ESC concerned may well have manual LVC settings ?
Ill have a google around
Doug Brown26/05/2010 18:21:12
2 forum posts
Thanks for your help so far. Thinking about it purely from an electrical engineering background I couldn't see why it would matter but I guess the computerised fol de rols we enjoy now can make a difference. The box is quite definite that only 4S should be used so I will need to buy one.

As for power this edf is quoted as providing 500W, the glider weighs about 2.5 lb so It should go straight up! I think I'll need to be careful.
stuey27/05/2010 08:20:57
607 forum posts
12 photos
As for power this edf is quoted as providing 500W, the glider weighs about 2.5 lb so It should go straight up! I think I'll need to be careful.

If it was a normal motor and prop combo it probably would, but unfortunately edf units are much less efficient. I dont know percentage wise how much, but 500w with a fan may not give you that kind of performance.

Edited By stuey on 27/05/2010 08:21:37

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!